Search

hurricane season

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hurricane season

Although I would NEVER travel during PEAK hurricane season, I could be quoted on this forum as saying go for it, carpe diem, and others. I can now say that I will not be traveling anytime soon during hurricane season with the exception of November and maybe June. This season has been one wild ride and the trend seems to indicate that it will stay that way for now. I like the better rates, so think I will stick with "shoulder season".

Any others have a change of heart? I think it was Diana that finally gave up on Labor Day week travel to the Caribbean.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM

Brenda,
We just got back from St John last night at 1:00 am and it was the best time for us.We had the beaches to our selves and the weather was pretty good.The restaurants were not crowded.It rained alot the day before we were leaving but it still was a good trip.

I am going to do a trip report when I get more rest.

You are right about the weather this year.I guess that you are really taking a chance going anywhere this time of the year in the Caribbean.

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Welcome back to reality. Glad you had a nice trip this time! Will look forward to your trip report. We are booked for the end of Nov. at Gallows Point, but may have to postpone due a very ill family member.

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:13 AM
owa

We also just returned (STT and Peter Island) and had a wonderful time because we had everything to ourselves. Maybe it will take a hurricane experience to keep me home. I also will be posting a trip report soon. Owa

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:33 AM

Brenda,
Sorry to hear about your family member.Maybe they will be better by November.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:38 PM

Well... rates are very expensive from mid December through Easter, so that is roughly four months of the year.... then Hurricane Season is June 1st to November 30th, so if you rule that out...

.. you are left with after Easter (last week in April 2006) to end of May (prime "sea itch" season for many Caribbean Islands) and then you have Dec 1st for a couple of weeks until the rates go up... and first two weeks in December are a great time to get cold fronts.

Yikes, best not travel to the Caribbean at all !

Rather than give up entirely, why not consider travel in the ominous Hurricane season, but consider that there are nearly 40 different destinations spread across hundreds of thousands of square miles of ocean.

Grab a summer deal (and, thanks to Hurricane worries, there are plenty of deals!), then take out trip insurance with some of the money you saved, and/or choose a resort that has a Hurricane Guarantee.

Just a thought.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:31 PM

Where is Diana by the way ?? Has she been on here lately ?
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:13 PM

Obviously I live in the Northeast hence my id. I cannot comprehend leaving my beautiful spring and fall to go to the Caribbean. Winter is the only time I would consider it regardless of price. Summers I'm at the beach locally (although this past weekend the water was a tad cool). I vacation to the Caribbean in Dec to sit on a warm beach and thaw. Otherwise I'd be in Europe or Asia.

I don't understand why anyone would take the risk during hurricane season. I've been to PI in Dec. Didn't find PI 'crowded' at all then. I had many days where I had the beach to myself.

The best part of travelling in Dec to me is that there are very FEW honeymooners or first timers. I find it's more well traveled people or people celebrating their anniversaries. I like resorts that cater to well travelled people that want to relax (hmm - I guess I am getting old!). Less theme and theatrics.

my .02
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:09 PM

hi Faithie,

Diana was on the US board a couple of days ago.

BTW We're heading to your neck of the woods next weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:12 AM

TomCayman,
You are right on..with your post.