How would you get to Virgin Gorda?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with my family to Virgin Gorda. I have read so much on how to get there. My head is spinning I can't decide what is right. Fly in to San Juan, fly in? Fly in to St Thomas ferry in. Any suggestions?? Thank you!
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 05:14 AM

It depends on where you're coming from and how much money and time you have. It's cheaper to take a ferry from St. Thomas or Tortola. It's generally more expensive to fly into Tortola than St. Thomas, but you have to check airfares on the dates of travel. And then there's the flight schedule to consider. When do you fly back? If you take a ferry, it almost always means you have to spend at least one night elsewhere because of schedules.

I don't know about flying into San Juan. You might find it easier and more convenient to do that via Air Sunshine.

I'd price the flights and see if they are in your comfort range. Obviously, a flight is going to be easier than the ferry and less time-consuming. If you have to save money, then pricing everything out is the only way to know for sure what works for you.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Flying from the US to St. Thomas is generally cheaper than flying to Tortola, and there are typically more flight options. However, there is only ferry service 3 days each week, and only a couple of ferry options per day. There are multiple ferry options each day between Virgin Gorda and Tortola. That would allow you (assuming your schedule allows) to find a less expensive airfare because you have more flexibility over what days you fly. Also the ferry schedule to Tortola may make it easier for you to avoid having to spend a night someplace else.

For your reference, here are links to the ferry schedules:
http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/in...Virgin%20Gorda (St. Thomas-Virgin Gorda)

http://www.bviwelcome.com/ferries.html (Tortola-Virgin Gorda)
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 05:53 AM

Our first trip to Virgin Gorda, we flew into Beef Island/Tortola and took the North Sound Express ferry to Virgin Gorda and back again. Their ferry schedules worked well with the American Eagle flights that we had. On my next trip I'd be more inclined to take our local nonstop flight to San Juan and then take the tiny plane to Virgin Gorda. I love those small, low-flying planes!
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 04:07 PM

According to frequent visitors and vacation property owners (see the Traveltalkonline.com website for the BVI's) the VG airport is currently closed for upgrades so it would depend on when you want to go. We are going in April but flying into STT then taking a ferry to Roadtown, overnighting there before taking the ferry to Anegada for a few days then going back to VG so I don't know all the inside advice about STT to VG. From what I have read on TTOL I think the flying into Beef Island and taking the ferry from there is probably the way to go. You might post your question there. Have fun!
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

We are going in April and coming in from Chicago. I looked at Traveltalkonline.com, but gotta confess haven't found it overly user friendly yet. I will figure it out. The flights from San Juan on Air sunshine are $270. It seems flying into St Thomas seems easier...more research...THANKS
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:35 AM

I recommend going the STT route. We flew Air Sunshine and had a horrible experience with them, both coming and going. Unfortunately they're the only public airline that flies to VG, so you're really at their whim when you fly with them-and they know it. Have a great trip though-VG is a wonderful island!
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM

I used to be a resident of the Virgin Islands and used to travel to Virgin Gorda often to explore "The Baths". It would be best to fly to St Thomas first, especially if you can get a flight on a major airline.The small commuter planes in the islands to Tortola are subject to delays and I'm not sure you have the stomach for the Tortola airport...You can catch a ferry out of St Thomas, or even ferry over to St John and catch a ferry to Virgin Gorda.

Most From the ferries out of the US Virgin Islands will take you to Tortola to go through BVI customs. And then you catch another ferry to Virgin Gorda.The schedules are not daily and can be inconsistent, so check ahead of time.There are some ferries that run exclusively out of St John, so if you make it to ST Thomas,there are ferries from St Thomas to St John running every hour,every day... Google- Virgin Island Daily News .. for ferry schedules and a wealth of information about the USVI can be found in this local paper.. Also you can go to my website..for insider tips on the Virgin Islands. http://www.travelaskthelocals.yolasite.com ... have a great trip..and believe me, you need to spend one day on St John, d burlison,JD
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Virginislandtraveler, thank you so much! I can't tell you enough how much my head has been spinning trying to decide if San Juan was the way to go. I had flown there to go to Vieques, but it was simple.. The link you sent is is great!! Much appreciated.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

oops one more question. is the airport far from where the ferry take off? in STT?
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 12:35 PM

ppalette..the taxi ride to the first dock is only ten minutes and taxis run around the clock.. but check schedules.The first dock ferry usually runs to virgin gorda only several times a week and only a couple of times a day .in addition to the sites I gave,,google the virgin island tourist guide/association..the paper also has the ferry schedules under transportation...keep in mind that ferries run regularly between st thomas and st john and many more ferries go to virgin gorda from st john..Many people do stay in an inexpensive guest house in the Us Islands the first night to not be rushed..good luck d burlison..also,you take a chance going through San Juan..delays,etc..fly a big plane directly to St Thomas
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM

I started to research the same issue several weeks ago regarding travel to VG this upcoming Christmas. Its very complicated coordinating planes, trains and automobiles....Cheaper to fly to St. Thomas from US by far. As far as the ferrys go, have to figure out if your airplane arrival can be coordinated with ferry time and on the return flight as well. Ferries run only on certain days/times. We are 11 people traveling so it seems we'll be better off pre-scheduling a private ferry. Look on the ferry websites and compare cost if you have a big group like us. But you also have to coordinate all this for the return flight as well. Good Luck!
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

I agree its complicated. I travel a lot abroad, this trip has my head spinning.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

well, I booked the flights to STT. I am now trying to figure out the ferry routes. Hopefully it will all fall into place..wish me luck