how's the hilton in tobago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my husband and i are planning a trip to tobago. has anyone stayed at the hilton? we'd love some information. thank you.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:19 PM

We've stayed there twice, most recently for 8 nights in February. The rooms are the best on Tobago. Marble bathrooms have separate tub and shower stall, with plenty of room to store toiletries. Balconies are spacious. Rooms have good beds, cable TV, desk, easy chairs, irons, minibars, etc. The beach directly in front of the hotel is eroded, but take a left turn and there's a mile-plus long, palm-lined beach for walking. The hotel offers a free shuttle several times a day to Pigeon Point, a private park with a white sand beach and calm water. The Hilton has four pools -- one is very big and has a swimup bar. The food is good, especially the breakfasts. Let me know if you want more info; we've been to Tobago 5 times and are going back next year. When are you going?
One more thing: The Hilton is at least a mile from the main road, so there's little within walking distance. We either rent a car for a few days or spend some money on taxis when we stay there.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

thank you, oonarose.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Oonarose, we are also from the Boston area and are thinking of a trip to Tobago and staying at the Hilton. Could you tell us about the flight from Port of Spain, Trinidad to Tobago? We are not fond of small planes and we were wondering how small (or old) the planes are to Tobago. Thank you.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 04:14 AM

Hi befri:

I don't know offhand the cost of tickets to POS to Tobago, BUT I do not it's NOT some small plane that makes you feel unsafe, I remember BWIA use to fly there (www.bwee.com) and there is also another airline and it's not small planes. I heard the prices may be like 200 TT or something like that, I think it was a bit more before but they dropped their prices.

Enjoy, I may head to Tobago in December.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Hi,
the airlines that fly to Tobago which cost 200.00 TT are Tobago Express and Bwee.

Caribbean Star and Liat also have limited flights and cost 300.00 TT as they are not subsidised by the Government.

The planes are not those tiny ones that can only hold five people, take a look at Tobago Express's website to see what kind of plane they use which is the same as the one Bwee uses:

http://sutra111.airkiosk.com/cgi-bin/tabx/181002i

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Hi, Marianne,
Last February, we took Tobago Express between POS and Tobago. I don't remember exactly how many people the planes hold, but my husband and I recall that it may be about 40 people, so as the other posters say, they aren't teeny-tiny. The planes weren't brand-new, but they werent old either. (I took a couple of old six-seaters in Costa Rica once, and I was uncomfortable, especially with the turbulence over the mountains.)
As Island Babe points out, there's a website to make reservations with Tobago Express. Last year, I made ours through the BWIA toll-free number. We got a confirmation number, and they didn't take our credit card number. As we landed in POS, I remembered that I'd left the confirmation number at home. However, Tobago Express found our reservation and, in fact, got us on an earlier flight as we got through customs in record time and got to the gate early. Our return flight also was on time. I've heard that reservations are expecially important on weekends, as many Trinis use the airbridge for getaway weekends in Tobago, so seats may fill up.
Are you taking BWIA or American? If you take American from Boston, you usually have to overnight in POS. If you want the name of a decent hotel near the airport, let me know.
I just made reservations to go back in mid-February. Yeah! When are you planning to go? We've never run into anyone from the Boston area in Tobago; most tourists seem to be from England and Germany.

[email protected]