Reload this Page >

How do you feel about flying now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 11:06 AM
rick

Has this disaster in New York city made you more nervous about flying? Are any of you hesitant to book winter trips to the islands now?

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Jeremy

I guess its going to make it safer. Think about what you did over the summer. That was something to be nervous about. If you have a 12 pm flight, plan to be there at 9!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Kristin

I was supposed to fly to the Bahamas on Monday. Although I haven't officially cancelled yet, I seriously doubt I will go. The uncertainty of retaliation or further terrorist activity makes me very hesitant to leave the country.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Target

Let's get real here...Before this DRAMA, all the hype was about Shark attacks both in the Bahamas and USA. It didn't stop too many folks from getting in the water as they are still getting bit. Now the hype is on fear of flying.Next it will be fear of riding Trains and then fear of leaving your home..Need I say more.... If you are going to the Bahamas on Monday, GO AND ENJOY!!! You will need a break from all of this terror.. so enjoy yourself. I am sure you would still go into the waters when you arrived in light of the recent shark attacks. So fly in light of the recent accidents with airplanes.It's time to heal and move on....

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Lori

Target, <BR> <BR>I'm sorry but I don't know how you can refer to the recent events in the USA as "accidents with planes" - It was not an accident - it was a terrorist attack - actually, it was murder! <BR> <BR>In my opinion it cannot be compared to the recent shark attacks, etc. It is completely different and people have every right to remain a little nervous. I'm nervous too but I'm sure in time I'll will be flying shortly again. <BR> <BR>Just my thoughts <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Larry

If you cancel the enemy has won.. Be angry, very angry and take the freedom to fly seriously and go. Airport Security will be extremely tight...for now.. I look forward my flight the end of next month and will be planning my next trip in a few weeks for the winter...I'm going and no damn terrorist is going to make me afraid.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Joel

Besides getting to the airport early, be aware that if you have e-tickets, you must convert them to paper tickets. You can't do that at the ticket counter unless you bring a copy of your receipt and your itinerary from Expedia, Travelocity, or whomever you purchased the e-ticket from. You can check this info out by going to Expedia.com. At the home page scroll down to the obvious statement toward the bottom of the page.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Cissy

Will I be nervous? Probably a little more so than I was before. But, I agree with the other posters that security will be so much better than before...and, I will not allow the terrorists to accomplish any more by staying home from a well-earned vacation. Joel, thanks for making the point about the e-tickets. Although I already have a paper ticket for my trip in October, I didn't realize that you now could not use an e-ticket. Probably others weren't aware of it either.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 10:19 PM
freewoman

If you have plans, keep them. For any of us to cancel flights and vacations, would let the terrorists win. They want to paralyze this country. I, for on, am not going to give them the satisfaction. Besides, if it is your time to go, you will go whether you are in the air or on your sofa watching the football game. <BR> <BR>Go on your vacation and have a great time!!!

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Lori

This may be a silly question but why can't you use e-tickets any more? <BR> <BR>I have two e-tickets through Air Canada to Miami next month then two e-tickets with American Airlines from Miami to Cayman.... why can't I use them now and should I be requesting paper tickets right away????? <BR> <BR>Thanks for the help. <BR> <BR>Lori

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 09:42 AM
tweedy

Etickets are picked up at the gate and you won't be able to get to the gate without a ticket now, or probably ever, so yes I would highly suggest going to a travel agent or the airline and have your ticket issued. <BR> <BR>Get your ticket before you go to the airport so you won't have to stand in the longest of lines. <BR> <BR>Aiports now are not going to alot of fun for traveling. <BR> <BR>One thing if you travel on a regular basis, I highly recommend joining one of the airline clubs. We belong to the Delta Crown Room. It costs $400 a year, and we have actually saved money because they have been able to help so many times when there have been problems with flights. Also sometimes they will upgrade for longer flights or when there have been problems. <BR> <BR>My mother came up to NY this summer and they came to the gate at my request and took Mother to the crown room and treated her like a queen. She loved it. <BR> <BR>Good luck with all your travels and get home safe. <BR> <BR>tweedy

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Ronnie

They have specifically said that everyone has to check at the counter. If you have an eticket, you must check in at the counter and get the airline's paper ticket and boarding pass. If your travel agent issues you a boarding pass, you must still check in and get one from the airline counter. No curbside checkins as well as off premise, such as hotels and cruise ships. So, there is really no reason to get the paper ticket aforehand from a travel agent as you still have to check in at the counter, just show then your eticket, that you have hopefully printed a copy of at home! <BR>Ronnie <BR>BTW, now would be a good time for all to get passports, as this will be a key issue for identification!

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Flyer

Now it will be safe. We should have been worried before.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 05:03 PM
rich

As a result of the terrorists headed up by Osama bin Laden my family will NOT be taking our vacation to the Bahamas this year. We will spend our vacation money in the best country in the world, America, and HOPE that other Americans will do the same. War is on the way and it will NOT be pretty!! On 9/11 America lost its "virginity" to the scum of the earth - we shall now root out this scum and make them suffer a fate worse than hell.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Sam

I guess it may depend on the airline, because US Airways still allows e-tickets, according to this statemnt on their web site under Airport Expectations: <BR>"Only customers holding an electronic ticket confirmation letter, a travel agency itinerary, a US Airways itinerary, a boarding pass or a paper ticket will be permitted beyond the security check points. People without tickets will not be permitted in the gate areas to greet arriving passengers or to see off departing passengers." <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 08:58 PM
Sam

I really don't feel much different about flying now. These days an act of terrorism could just as likely be from an American like Timothy McVeigh as a foreign group, so nowhere is really safe. In fact it's more likely you'll die in a wreck driving to the airport than from a random act of violence. I remember having to check in an hour early at airports back in the late 80's after some bombings. It felt more safe and less chaotic than usual going through the extra security. I'm not changing my plans at all.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 04:23 AM
steve

I must admit to being concerned that my trip in april,which must be paid in full in 3 weeks.What will happen to our 2800$ if for some reason we can,t fly to Mexico then?I've read that AirTransat is cutting flights by 20% and canncelling blocks of rooms in southern destinations.Not actually installing confidence.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Bob

I would definitely get travel insurance.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Dave

I pitty the fool that tries to hijack an airliner now. I envision 100+ passengers going for the jugular. Maybe 2 - 5 are lost as the fool is rushed, but they'll only find itty bitty pieces after they're done with 'em. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, the barn door is being closed too late. Heightened security is a welcome sight but, as usual, its too late. The next target will be something else that nobody is paying attention to. <BR> <BR>Imagine the utter stupidity of the FAA and the airlines to back-off on security meerly because the hijackings of the 70's had stopped. Might as well get rid of those brakes since we haven't run off the end of the runway in a while. <BR> <BR>Dave

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 03:47 PM
cj

What I'm wondering is what happens if you have a very short time between connections. That is flying out of upstate NY to NYC and having to be on the next plane in less than an hour? Will one still be able to make the connection -- normally you would have to check in 2 hrs. early -- which we would do on our first flight, but what happens in NYC -- is it another two hours. We bought our tickets for STT two days before the terrorist attacks and didn't think to question the short time between planes because we've done it before. Please advise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -