Hotel advice in St Maarten/ La Samanna

Apr 29th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Hotel advice in St Maarten/ La Samanna

Has anyone stayed recently at La Samanna and did you enjoy your stay?
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM

I did and the answer is a big fat NO!
The hotel is highly overated and very expensive for what you get. I thought it was out dated, the ground were not kept up well and I did not enjoy the staff. I would avoid this resort if at all possible.
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM

We stayed at L'Esplanade earlier this month and loved it. In making our hotel choice, I had narrowed it down to Le Petit, L'Esplanade and La Samanna but found too many negative postings / reviews of La Samanna... so it came off the list. Le Petit was already booked so L'Esplanade it was - and as I said, we loved it, would stay there again and definitely recommend it.
Apr 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM

We haven't stayed there "recently" but were very disappointed when we were there several years ago.

We have to agree with Anguillagirl, this resort has been resting on it's laurels for much longer than it was ever a top rated resort. Service was horrible, food only so-so and it was very expensive. For the money there are a lot of much better high end resorts in the Caribbean where I go back to time and again before I'd even consider a return visit to La Samanna. If you want to visit S. Martin, save some money and stay at a different resort or rent a villa. If you want a high end resort go to another island.
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:20 PM

I was actually looking at both Le Petit and L'Esplanade. The hotel looks great, but I wanted to know if both have direct beach access.

Also, do they have breakfast available or is there no dining at either property?
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:29 PM

I stayed at Le Petit in March, and it was absolutely lovely. Le Petit is right on the beach, while L'Esplanade is at the other end of Grand Case village, up a hill and not on the beach (but it does have a pool).

Le Petit has a complimentary continental breakfast every morning -- pastries, coffee, juice; there is no restaurant there, but you are a short walk to a boulangerie and the restaurants of Grand Case. The continental breakfast was great (love those croissants!), and all we needed to start our day. I think L'Esplanade has a bit more to offer.
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:31 PM

La Samanna had it's day but in about 2001 it began to go down hill in terms of the physical structure, the food, and the room furnishings. A new bedspread cannot save it. The "old rich" went there back in the 1960-late 1980's. We went in 1997, 2002 and never again.
I think you have enough from above to decide that at any more than $150/night which it is NOT find other recommendations.
Apr 30th, 2008, 04:05 PM

We drove by Le Petit every day and it looked nice... we stayed at L'Esplanade which does not have direct beach access (10 min walk down the hill to a small public beach) but a fun pool.

They offer a continental type breakfast (you place your order the night before) for 12euros per person - pricey to us so we went to the boulangerie on our own usually. Our room at L'Esplanade had a kitchenette so we could warm up those yummy croissants in the oven!

They don't have any dining facilities but I overheard a guest on the receiving end of a lobster dinner that was being prepared for them there... must have been a special occasion.
May 4th, 2008, 01:04 PM

mnekaw3: We loved L'Esplanade. It is not on the beach though. Besides being able to order breakfast the night before, you can eat at the hotel. They offer food from 11am till 6pm at the pool bar. The menu is limited but the food is very good. We tried their cheeseburgers with fries, chicken sandwich and chicken salad. They offered other dishes but I can't remember what they were.
May 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM

I agree that La Samanna is overrated. We have vacationed at Caneel Bay (4x), Cap Jaluca, Cuisinart, and Peter Island as well as a number of luxury US resorts such as the Montage in Laguna Beach.

The rooms at La Samanna are dated, the food is extremely expensive (even by Caribbean standards - and this is coming from a 7 yr resident of NYC), the beach is ok, and the overall experience was certainly not worth the cost, imo.

I would absolutely look elsewhere.
May 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM

La samana - been there, done that, wouldn't do it again!

Like hockeyfan, I've stayed at just about every upscale resort in the Caribbean and been a repeat guest at most of them. La Samana and one other are the only ones I would not go back to again, no matter what changes might have occured - the experience was that disappointing.
May 12th, 2008, 01:19 PM

I agree with Anguillagirl. My sister in law stayed there a few years ago and they were very disappointed.

Search this Thread