Horseback riding on the beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the best island to visit for horseback riding on the beach? I have this fantasy ....
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Almost all of the islands I have been to have it.

I sure don't think I'd pick my island based on that one thing since it is so common...
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 01:47 PM

This was also my fantasy and I have pics that I shall save forever. I did it only once and it was in Cancun Mexico. The awesome part was one horse went into the ocean up to your waist deep and it was a slow cantor, it was an experience I won't ever forget. That was the only place I have rode a horse in and on the ocean.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Braco Great House stables/near Silver Sands and Chukka Cove on Jamaica's North Coast and Paradise Park/near Sav on the South both offer ocean/surf/meadow/trail rides.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for your answers. Diann, where did you stay when you did your horseback riding on the beach? Did the hotel arrange it, or did you do it on your own? I am going to take a look at those places in Jamaica, too.

Any more suggestions?
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Pink Sands in Harbour Island Bahamas. The horses are on that beach every day, and the beach is one of the prettiest in the world.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:29 AM

I've done it on St Lucia, Anguilla, Tortola, Nevis and south of Cancun (twice).

On St Lucia, we had it arranged through the hotel, but the other times we did it on our own.

A couple of words of warning:

We have horses of our own and are very concerned about the health and welfare of the stable horses.

Some of the places we saw have very poor-looking thin horses that are on the small side and really shouldn't be carrying anyone over 175 lbs.

It is very HOT in the Caribbean, and most of the "beach rides" consist of 50 minutes through brush for 10 minutes on the beach.

Be sure to tell them if you are a very inexperienced or timid rider. A couple of times, once they found out we have horses, they gave me the "barn nut." (I guess they wanted to get her exercised too.)

Specifically ask how many people are going to be on the ride and how much time you will be on the beach and whether or not you will be able to go into the water if you want to.

There is nothing worse than being on a long, hot ride with 25 people at the back of the dusty pack in the glaring sun.

Wear jeans (not shorts) and closed-toe shoes if possible. A saddle can tear up bare legs pretty fast, and chances are good you will be riding through at least some brush.

Just be sure to get all the info you can so as to avoid any "surprises."

The best places we went for good quality horses was Tres Rios ecopark south of Cancun.

The best place for getting to ride on the beach for the longest was Trim's on St Lucia. The prettiest ride and very nice horses was Nevis.

Have fun!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Diana, for a very complete and informative report. I noticed that the horses looked pretty pitiful in some of the ads. It really turned me off. I do not want to be responsible for the abuse of horses!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Sunnyboy

Just a small comment - while I'm certainly no expert when it comes to animal husbandry, it is my understanding that because of the heat and limited natural grazing land and natural water, Caribbean livestock at times will generally have very little body fat thereby giving an outward appearance of being undernourished when in fact they may be just lean and muscular. Of course, as with any generalized statement there are exceptions so one should look at the "whole picture" to determine if a particular stable operator (on the island of your choice) has healty animals.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:18 AM

My vote is for St. Kitts or Nevis.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:16 AM

We enjoyed riding at Chukka Cove in Jamaica last summer. The horses were what I would consider underweight, but otherwise healthy and pretty well cared for. The guides were very friendly and certainly knew their horses. "Swimming" with your horse in the ocean is a kick--I got to do it twice, and my horse had plenty of energy for racing the guide to the shore (I almost won . Back at the stables, we also got to watch a guy practicing polo--it was really something.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 09:13 AM

As someone who has horses waiting down at the barn for me at home every day, and who has had horses all of my life, I can tell you that it is an expensive prospect on any scale to care for them properly.

It does not take an expert to be able to tell whether a horse is lean and fit like a greyhound dog or a pro basketball player, or just plain skinny and in poor health.

I'm sure the people on here who are planning to go will be able to determine for themselves whether or not to patronize a particular riding establishment.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Athena39, you had asked where I had stayed in Cancun. We stayed at the Marriot Casa Magna. It was a gorgeous hotel, and yes the riding tour was arranged through the hotel. It can be done on line. The name was Rancho Loma Bonita, www.rancholomabonitamex.com the price also included a lunch. Nothing grand as I recall. If you look at the web site it can give you info. As said wear long pants, as yes you do have to go through some brush and bushes to get to the beach. The other place mentioned tres Rio ecopark is now closed till summer of 2006. Rancho Bonita staff were extremely helpful, funny, and made it a very fun experience. As for the horses, they looked just o.k to me. They didn't look abused. The staff asks you your riding experience before putting you on a horse. I hope you enjoy your experience as much as I did. Write back and let us know where youo ended up going.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:40 AM

Sometime ago, my wife and I spent two weeks on St. Croix, staying at the Hibiscus Beach Hotel. Next door lived a vet, who had some race horse stables. My wife loves horses (we have two quarter horses) and watched the stable boys groom, feed, and exercise the horses (one was a decendent of Seattle Slew). They were more than happy to allow her to run the horses up and down the beach on St. Croix, and have the race horses swim in the ocean of Hibiscus Beach Hotel...for free!! My wife was in 7th Heaven. Also, we stayed at the Golden Rock Inn on Nevis last year, and my wife partook in horse riding at a place close to the 4 Seasons. It was a neat horse-riding treck on the beach and also up into the hills. Robert
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Hey Diana , Another thing in common , I grew up riding , and had my own horses as well , sis has a dressage stable ..... Faith
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I am leaning toward Nevis, just because it looks very beautiful and I have never been there! I'll let you know about the horseback riding . . .