Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Horseback riding for experienced riders on these islands???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:16 AM
barb

We'll be on Barbados, St Lucia, St. Kitts, St Marteen and St. Thomas and would like to do some horseback riding. We raise/train horses so get really frustrated when we encounter the typical "posse" ride that caters to tourists. Does anyone know of any place that might be able to accomodate us on these islands?? Many thanks!!

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Christie

I'm also a horse person, and I can honestly saythat the horseback riding experiences my family and I have had in the Caribbean have been less than wonderful. Very often the horses are small and weedy, and then they are underfed and poorly trained. The equipment is often held together with shoelaces and not well-maintained. Honestly, I'd just stick to relaxing in the sun and drinking fruity drinks, and enjoy the time you spend with your horses at home.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 05:19 AM
barb

Thanks for the response Christie. Thats what I was afraid of. I don't mind the small stature. My mare is a little arab, small in size....HUGE in attitude!! They always show pictures of someone galloping on the beach but the reality is usually something different and I can't stand to see an underfed/overworked horse. I got very spoiled doing an equitour in Spain. That, by the way, was incredibly fabulous!!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Christie

Hi Barb- <BR> <BR>When we went riding on Antigua, my horse was probably 200 lbs underweight and he had one shoe. Had I been able to see the horses before we paid for the ride, we would have backed out! <BR> <BR>I'm going to tour Ireland on horseback with Cross Country International next March, and I can hardly wait.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 12:17 PM
barb

OK now you've done it, Christie.....made me jealous!! Have a wonderful time!! My riding tour in Spain is, without doubt, the best vacation I ever had. Barb

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 07:53 PM
sun

If you get a chance to go to Costa Rica I spent a wonderful time galloping on the beach south of Jaco with Diana's Trail rides. She advertises Fat and Happy horses.I can say that they were very happy horses. None of the nose to trail plodding along stuff. I have been riding a long time and would love a good ride in the caribbean. We are on our first cruise in December. I will be watching for any Ideas too. I thought I read of one place on St. Lucia. But I am not sure. Have a great vacation...Sun

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 05:39 AM
barb

Doing a little escape from reality now, but I'm considering a new career. Touring all the riding stables throughout the Carribean, spending considerable time at each one and write reviews based on sound equestrian principles. That way we could actually find and support stables that maintain healthy herds and do some quality riding while on vacation. What do you think??? <BR>But for now, I'm afraid, I'll return to the grim reality of current events and say a prayer for those in NYC and DC.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Christie

Sounds like a deal to me, Barb! <BR> <BR>I heard that there was a reputable stable on Antigua in the Falmouth Harbor area, but they don't rent horses for trails rides, only for lessons. They have some inter-island shows there, too. We saw signs for them.