Honeymoon in August suggestions needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning our honeymoon for one week in mid august and want to spend it on the beach. We were originally planned for the Rosewood Mayakoba in the Riviera Maya in mexico but have cancelled that. I'm not sure what the best options are considering it's hurricane season and the weather can be very iffy. I prefer not to take a chance on the weather since it is our honeymoon. People tell me Aruba is a safe bet but I don' t know of any nice resorts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:38 AM

If you want to lesson the likelihood of Hurricanes and have weather that is not as hot and humid in August, you might want to consider Hawaii.
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that we are getting married in Colombia so the distance to Hawaii for 6 nights would be too much although with live in the NY area.
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM

St. Maarten has some nice resorts and it's an interesting island because one half is Dutch and the other half is French. Check out their resorts online.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In Aruba, the Hyatt, Marriott and Radisson are your large full scale resorts with all of the amenities. They are located at the popular Palm beach where there are a ton of watersports activites and restaurants. Aruba has great dining. The Bucuti is a smaller hotel and is located on Eagle beach which is quieter. The Bucuti is geared more as an adults only resort. I have not been there, but have heard good reviews of their tara suites.
We stayed at the Marriott and had a great time. Aruba would be a fun relaxing week at the beach with good dining, some gambling and nightlife.
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:37 AM

Congrats! I am getting married Aug 15 and finally decided on Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. It took me forever to make a choice and I was worried about hurricanes too. We bought the full " cancel for any reason" insurance just in case. So what is your date?
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Hawaii has just as much of a chance as getting hit by a hurricane as does the rest of the Caribbean including Aruba.

Mexico would be a good choice.

Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, or Isla Mujeres.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM

GoTravel, you must be a Mexico travel agent, and not a very good one, because if you think the areas in Mexico that you named are safer than other places during hurricane season, you've got hurricanes in your brain.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:38 AM
KVR

I agree, Mexico is usually the prime target for hurricanes in the Aug, Sept, Oct timeframe. We've traveled to that area several times during August/Sept., and August, 2007 when Hurricane Dean hit the Playa del Carmen area, we decided it's just no longer worth the chance to go there during that time frame anymore. Advising someone to go to Mexico during prime Hurricane season without ample warning, is irresponsible posting.

Even though Aruba is considered out of the hurricane belt, it has experienced it's share of tropic storms during the month of Oct. We've gone in a September and had great weather, and I wouldn't hesitate going there during that time frame again.

Another issue I considered during the August timeframe is kids are still out of school and vacationing with their parents. Unless you choose and adults only resort, be prepared to be over run with kids.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 07:37 PM

IF you would consider the Bahamas for your honeymoon, here are a couple of resorts to look at.

www.runawayhill.com
www.coralsands.com
www.rockhousebahamas.com

The number one destination last year in the region was Pink Sands also on Harbour Island, expensive but spectacular. Also part of the same company is Compas Point on Nassau, which would also be nice for a honeymoon.

Have a lovely trip.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:42 AM

We're staying at the Westin in Aruba. We've heard very good things about it. The main reason we chose Aruba is that we are traveling in September as well and want to reduce the risks of our vacation being interrupted by a hurricane. Best luck in planning and congratulations on the wedding!
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 06:48 AM

To silverssj - I have justreturned from Aruba and yes, it is a safe bet for weather year round. Can't go wrong there. however, I walked the entire area from palm bach to eagle beach and hands down, should i return, it's the Hyatt! Totally redone and marvelous for a honeymoon! I would stay NO WHERE ELSE! And as honeymooners, please treat yourselves and have a dining experience at the Screaming Eagle. You won't be sorry!