Search

honeymoon help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 05:45 PM
Vicki

honeymoon help

We are thinking of honeymooning in the Carribbean for January 2001. We own a timeshare at the Marriott in Aruba (we love Aruba) and would like to stay somewhere extremely romantic and special. I have already been to Hawaii and would want something to compare to that for my fiancee. Great food is very important to us. Thanks for your help. Looked into Tahiti but heard the food is not good.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 07:25 PM
Louis

There are three places that come to mind for you. Little Dix in Virgin Gorda and Biras Creek also there. Guana Island in BVI and Caneel Bay is not that bad in St John. Otherwise Petit St. Vincent in the Genedines is an excellent choice if you want real seclution on that basis Windmill Farms in Salt Cay near Grand Turk is truly out of the ordinary.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 02:03 PM
Vicki

Louis, Thanks so much for your quick response. I have been reading and researching about Biras Creek and BVI and we are very interested. Which do you recommend more Little Dix or Biras? Is there any sort of night life--casual bars etc. in BVI? Or are we on our own?

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 03:19 PM
Louis

There is not much night life in the BVI that I know about but we have not looked for it. Virgin Gorda is a very quiet island and activity is mainly in the resort areas. There may be some activity around the yacht basin near Little Dix. The Olde Yard Inn, an excellent restaurant and bar near Little Dix might have a little bar activity but it is mainly for eating. Biras Creek is at the other end of the island and you get there by boat, not road. The activity around there would be centered in the evening around the Bitter End Yacht Club, easy walking distance. Most of the night life activity otherwise is on Tortola and you need a car to get around. By the way, if you want a bargain but nice honeymoon take a look at http://www.frenchmans.com. While this is not Little Dix, it has a large following of repeat visitors. The money you save can be put into an home. You can find a lot of variety on Tortola and you are easy ferry ride to St. Thomas for shopping. There are good diving and snorkeling trips from Tortola. You can take a day visit to the Baths on Virgin Gorda. In St. John you have some night life centered around Cruz Bay just up the hill from Caneel Bay. Most of the rest of the island is park lands. The charm of most of the BVI is the lack of over development and touristy stuff. No, vendors and beggars. The people are quiet, conservative and nice.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 04:12 PM
Vicki

Louis, Thanks for the advice...we don't need nightlife but were trying to assess the complete picture. BVI does sound nice for us. We are looking for a romantic honeymoon with good food. Price is not so important to us as we feel we want to splurge but make it well worth the money...we aren't planning for big nightlife but if the idea came up to be able to journey to other places. What do you think of island hopping around BVI? worth it or no? A beautiful romantic spot is going to be key for us.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 08:04 AM
tweedy

Vicky, I have a better suggestion and it is much easier to get there and the ride is very romantic. <BR> <BR>Harbour Island in the Bahamas is a jewel, it is small and quaint and very romantic, there are 2 resorts I would suggest, Pink Sands and Romora Bay, both are very nice and overlook the ocean. Pink Sands is right on the beach with a beach/bar and the accomodations are villas. Great food and some celebrity watching, also LOTS of attention to detail and excellent service. <BR> <BR>Romora Bay is on the bay side of the island and steps to the water, a nice pool, the best food on the island and each villa is set in amongst rainforest like setting. There is also a nice pool, beach bar and lounge area. <BR> <BR>If you go to the www.where2stay.com board and "kalik" on islands at the top you will be able to get rates, pictures and some island history. <BR> <BR>I honeymooned on Harbour Island in 1991 and it was spectacular. There are also 3 places for some fun nitelife, and each resort usually has some live music in the evening. <BR> <BR>To get there is the best part, you fly into Nassau and take the ferry over to Harbour Island, about a 2 hour boat ride, or you can fly it's about a 20 minute flight on Bahamas Air and again it is a breathtaking ride. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps some, if you need any more info, please let me know. <BR> <BR>tweedy

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 04:33 PM
Louis

Vicki,I enjoy posting to your questions which I have done so in more than one place for several reasons. <BR> <BR>1. I enjoy thinking about our marriage and honeymoon in 1/5/51 and yours is in the same month 50 years later when we will have a 50th anniversary. We wish you the same luck. In comparison to yours next year ours wasn't so great and I am jealous. We had total resources of $900 and what we could afford was not very good so we left early to put what was left in to a new bed. We did not have a double bed between us or did we have a credit card or a credit account anywhere. <BR> <BR>2. In talking about the places you have mentioned and the places I have suggested you bring about very wonderful memories. Some of which have been some time ago but those in Fiji have be very recent and our experiences in the Caribbean have been over the last 35 years. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 11:49 AM
Vicki

Louis, I have emailed you an extensive list of questions hoping to get some more great advice from you. My fiance and I both were touched when you shared you info. on your 50th. That's fantastic! I do enjoy and am thankful for all your help with this decision process. Thanks again!

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 10:26 AM
Roman

Hi VIcki, I would recommend Anse Chastanet in St Lucia. Very secluded, romantic, great food and beach.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 10:56 AM
Debbi

Vicki: We love Aruba, too! The food on St. Martin is the best in the Caribbean. We hit a different restaurant each night, each one being better than the last! It was my "first" for escargot, capers, cognac, langouste, etc. Unforgettable. I had the best Salade Nicoise for lunch one day at an open-air restaurant in Marigot right on the harbor (it actually looked like where Speed II was filmed) where the waiter spoke no English. (At the time it was called L'Aventure.) He didn't understand "Gin and Tonic" but had no problem with "Gin et Tonic." We also had an awesome lunch at Oyster Bay. I have never stayed there, but it looks beautiful, romantic, etc., and gets great reviews. Best of luck!

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 02:34 PM
teri

Vicki, <BR> <BR>I agree with Roman...Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia is the most romantic spot ive ever seen. Very quiet...no nightlife but without a doubt romantic. In fact A&E voted it the #4 most romantic spot in the world. Check out the web site www.ansechastanet.com. Pure Romance!!!