Honeymoon Destinations?

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Destinations?

We are starting to research honeymoon destinations, and I am trying to narrow down my search to a few specific islands and resorts... but I've never been to the Caribbean and I am overwhelmed! I am hoping for some suggestions.

We are looking for an all-inclusive resort. We plan to spend most of our time at the beach or pool, I want it to be a really beautiful beach. We are interested in snorkeling and trying different water sports, my fiance really wants to try parasailing or windsurfing. We're pretty active people. We are not really into night life or partying, we don't drink. We might be interested in doing some exploring if there are cool things to see around the island, but we might not mind staying at the resort the whole time, either. My fiance likes the sound of couples only type resorts, but I think he'd be fine with more kid friendly places so long as we don't feel overrun. I am a little bit in love with Sandals Grande St. Lucian, but I think it might be a bit too expensive. We'd have to stay in the very cheapest rooms based on the rates they currently have posted. I really wanted a nice view and a big bath tub. I think we will be keeping to ourselves most of the time we're there, we're very quiet people.

Unfortunately, we haven't yet decided what time of year we want to get married. We are leaning toward October or possibly May, but we may end up deciding based on ideal travel time for wherever we want to honeymoon.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 12:02 PM
KVR

If you don't drink, then an AI resort will not be worth the money. One of the main reasons we love AI resorts is to keep the drink prices down.

We did not like the Sandals Grande St. Lucia. I rate it at the very bottom of our list. The food and service was not good. Not worth the money. St. Lucia is a wonderful beautiful island for a honeymoon and there are better choices for accommendations.

October is prime hurricane season in the Caribbean. Traveling at that time you are taking a chance even with trip/hurricane insurance. That also means traveling during that time for future wedding anniversaries. I would go with May as a wedding date. Around the 2nd or 3rd week as that is when high season ends and rates are more afforadable and crowds are much lower. I wish I knew this when we got married 13 years ago. I would have never chose July for a wedding. I had the choice between May, June, July and October and I'm still kicking myself we did not chose May.

You might look into Turks and Caicos or Grand Cayman. They will have the atmosphere and activites you are looking for.

If you really think you need an AI, then Mexico, Jamaica and the DR are your best choices. You'll get way more for your money than any other Caribbean destinations. Mexico and Jamaica has lots of things to see and do.

Congrats!
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Part of the reason we were interested in AI is because I have food allergies and I'd heard that was the way to go, but it may depend on where you are trying to go. I was concerned about having to worry about eating in local restaurants, as I'm not familiar with the different languages spoken on the different islands or the level of awareness they have for food allergies and how to accommodate them. The plan was to find an AI and discuss this with the resort in advance and make sure they could accommodate. If it is a more developed area with English speakers, a non-AI might be doable. My allergies won't kill me but they could ruin my trip!

Are there any thoughts on this? I'd be willing to consider non-AIs, but this issue was what got me started on this track.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 04:56 PM
KVR

Most Caribbean destinations and the resort areas of Mexico the employees and staff speak English well. Whenever you go to a restaurant just advise them up front with your needs as you would do with a restaurant at home. Paying extra for an AI when you don't drink is really a waste of money. Depending on the AI you choose, many are mainly buffet choices, which will not be in your best interest if you have food allergies. The more lux the resort the better the food options and ala cart restaurants that are available.

My recommendations of Turks & Cacios and Grand Cayman, are predominantly English speaking Islands.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 03:19 AM

T&C and Caymans are excellent recs. All the restaurants in T&C are terrific with food allergies.

I agree, if you don't really drink, AI is a waste of money, as that's where you save. Additionally, AIs tend to not be as good with food allergies, because they are feeding many more people in the forms of buffets, harder to control any cross contamination.

With food allergies, you are much better off with non AI.

What's your budget?
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 06:36 AM

I have a lot of food allergies and have gone AI and not AI. I can say with certainty that going non AI is better if you have food allergies. AI food is mass produced and often the employees won’t know the full ingredients of the buffet items. I basically stuck to the “create your own station” at the buffet so I knew exactly what was going into my meal. You may also be ok going AI if you choose an AI that has various restaurants, because it will be easier for them to cater to your allergies. The buffet will be hard.

If you are really worried about eating out with a language barrier, there are quite a few developed English speaking islands. The USVI’s, BVI’s, Barbados, T&C, and Grand Cayman are a few that come to mind. I was in Barbados earlier this year and had no problem at all dining out at restaurants. As stated, I have severe allergies and my friend is a vegetarian and all of the restaurants were able to accommodate our dietary restrictions.

AI’s are much more than food/alcohol, but if you don’t drink AND have dietary restrictions, I honestly don’t think it’s the way to go.

If you want to consider something outside the Caribbean, I would take a look at Bermuda. It is English speaking, developed, quiet, and has some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. There are water sports and the snorkeling is good but I am not sure about windsurfing as the ocean is very calm. Barbados is definitely a prime spot for wind surfing/kite surfing, but the snorkeling will likely leave much to be desired.
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 10:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Part of the reason we were interested in AI is because I have food allergies and I'd heard that was the way to go>

Then I would definitely NOT do All Inclusive! I think you have much better control over your food either at a non-AI resort or renting a villa or condo somewhere.

If you are uncomfortable maybe pick an English speaking island, like Jamaica. Or resorts in Mexico everyone working in hotels will speak at least some English.
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 04:34 AM

Suze post is from 2013