Help with Restaurants in Anguilla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. My husand and I decided on Anguilla in mid February for a 40th birthday celebration and it is our first trip there. I am looking for recommendations for restaurants as well as don't miss beaches or activities. I know 4 days is not a lot of time, but it's all we have. We are staying at Cuisinart and will most likely be renting a car. I thought the first night we would eat at Cuisinart(b/c a dinner at Santorini is included in our package). I was looking for at least one special occassion restaurant for my birthday. Blanchards and Straw Hat and the restaurant at Malli have all been recommended. Any recommendations or suggestions either for a birthday dinner or any other meal would be appreciated. Also, are there any "must dos" other than some r and r that we should think about? One last question -- since we will be there in the high season, when should we make reservations for restaurants or activities? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to everyone for the repost -- not sure what I did. My apologies.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM
OT

A "must do" is to rent a car. Anguilla is small, easy to navigate and fun to explore, if you think you are lost, just continue and somehow you are on the "west end - east end" main road.

Restaurants - what type of restaurant are you looking for?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

OT -- with respect to what kind of restaurants we are looking for, I would like one to be great food and great ambiance for a special occassion. The others don't have to be fancy, just a nice, warm atmosphere and good food. Also, my husband will only eat veggie and fish out so some of the BBQ places wouldn't be our first choice unless they have a fish/veggie alternative. Thanks.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

A traveller - thanks for the suggestion to search the archives - I'll do that. Meanwhile, if you have any favorite restaurants for a special occassion, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:25 AM

For a special occasion I would pick Blanchards, Altamer, or Koal Keel. In fact I would do all three while you are there. They are expensive but worth it.
Others--Tratoria Tratmonto, Mangos on Mon or Thurs night--Live music. Picante is casual and very good. For lunch Barrel Stay in Sandy Ground is excellent. If you are there on Sunday go to Scilly Cay. Try the lobster crayfish combo. Live music all afternoon. Killer rum punches. You can also try Trattoria for lunch. If you have lunch there you can use the umbrellas and lounges on the beach. Tastys is excellent for a relatively inexpensive meal. Go to the www.caribbean-on-line Anguilla forum and check out the restaurant list post. The Terrace at Frangipani is also nice for lunch. Excellent salads and lovely view. Enjoy !!!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Personally, I like Altamer for that "special occasion" dinner. We found the food there to be excellent, the service first rate and the restaurant itself is visually stunning. I think Blanchard's is just OK and didn't live up to the hype created by the owners book "A Trip To The Beach" since service and food can be a bit sporadic if the Blanchard's are not "on-island", which is often the case. To be fair, many people have had wondeful dining experiences at Blanchard's. It seems to be one of those places where you either love it or find it mediocre.

Oliver's is another very good restaurant (Oliver is a really nice host) but it's a little crowded at times thus not condusive to a "special occasion". Finally, try Koal Keel for another fine meal. The trouble with Anguilla is there are so many good restaurants and usually visitors have so little time. You only recourse is to make repeat visits to the island.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions -- how far in advance do I need to make reservations? Also, do I need to make reservations for lunches too - or just dinners? The nights will be Monday-Wed. (one of them being valentine's day).
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:16 PM

ccb213,
You're making reservations for a trip in Mid-Feb?? LOL I'm there in Dec and haven't even thought of it...I'm sure you will be fine. Just check the days the restaurants will be closed and plan accordingly. There's a great site that as Anguilla restaurants on-line but I don't remember it offhand.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:48 PM

Regarding Blanchard's - we had dinner there two years ago and thought it was excellent. This year we went again and were somehow disappointed. We had to wait for a rather long time. The waiter forgot our drinks and we had to remind him. Apart from that, service was OK but not great - it all seemed a bit automatic somehow. The same with the food and the wine: OK but not great. We were not that impressed. The feeling was that this place hd become somehow too popular, and too 'hyped', and it showed.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM
OT

Don't really know why, but in all the years we have been visiting Anguilla we have never tried Blanchard's, so am unable to give any personal comments on that one. Have, however, heard mixed reviews from friends.

Special occasion:
One of our top favourites is Hibernia in Island Harbour, their website is www.hiberniarestaurant.com
Early booking recommended, ask for a table on the balcony.

We also like Altamer, I love the architecture and the twinkling lights from St. Maarten. Some evenings they have a steel band playing, well worth it.

Straw Hat has a great setting over the water, nice food and atmosphere. special occasion category? I don't think so, but others may disagree.

If your husband is a fish lover, I highly recommend Roy's Bayside Grill in Sandy Ground. Nice setting right on the beach, great food, one of our firm favourites.

For a more "rustic" atmoshphere, try Johnno's, also in Sandy Ground, great "plain" food. Some evening has music.

I can't help you with Malliouhana restaurant, but heard it is very good (long trousers required). Koal Keel has also been given good reviews since their re-opening last year.

Another good website to check out is www.anguillaforum.com . At the moment it is a bit slow, as most of the restaurants and hotels on the island are closed during the hurricane season. But I recommend you to keep an eye out for the restaurant reviews in end November, December and January.

To avoid disappointment I would book a place like Hibernia 4 weeks in advance, it hasn't got many tables and it soon fills up.

Hope this is of some help.

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:08 PM

If you are going to be there over Valentines Day make reservations before you go as a lot of people go out to dinner. Big day on the island. Other than that would make reservations a day ahead of time for the restaurants you pick.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:54 AM

I would recommend having your birthday dinner at the Altamer. Beautiful, romantic, and if you make a reservation, ask for a table by the beach. The food is excellent, and the staff very friendly. I got married on the beach at Altamer last week (was not staying at the resort) and our reception/dinner followed there. We went back for our last night there too because we enjoyed it so much. Tell them the Merlino's from the 11/26 wedding recommended them!

Lunch at Scilly Cay is a must do also!

Car rental a must. I would rent from Andy at Mitchel's car rental right at Blowing Point, literally right there as you exit the ferry/customs. 264-497-0712.

One last suggestion, pace yourself at the Cuisinart Pool Bar with those rum punches. I lost a day due to indulgence!

Have a happy 40th! Cheers!