is Caneel worth it? St. John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you pay $400/nt for Caneel, or $160 for Hillcrest Guest House?
Hillcrest is 5 min walk to Cruz Bay.

This is for the summer.

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM

If you are concerned about value for your $$, hold off making a reservation until later this year when Caneel usually offers the summer package with reduced rates and the breakfast buffet at no cost.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - just concerned about reviews about mediocre food/service, bugs, roaches, etc.

Figure if you're paying top dollar, then those issues should not be there.

Also, I supposed one could stay somewhere else, but then visit the beaches at Caneel, right?
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:37 AM

We have been going to Caneel for many years. In my opinion, it is definitely worth the price for its beaches and serenity. Many of the people who complain about Caneel are expecting a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton experience for their $$, but that is not what Caneel is about. Yes, the rooms are not sumptuous (but certainly comfortable), and the service is often low-key, but you will be hard-pressed to find a more beautiful setting.

As far as staying elsewhere and visiting Caneel's beaches, technically only the Caneel Bay beach is accessible to the public by land. Three of the lovliest beaches--Scott, Turtle, and Hawksnest--are not.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

i guess if they include breakfast, then it would be worth it. the beaches at Caneel look stunning.

the only other choice i'm looking at is this one:

http://www.hillcreststjohn.com/

not on beach, but on top of hill, and minutes from beach.

$195/nt
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM

You are really driving yourself crazy with this choice. I just scrolled down and you must have a dozen or so posts which, in one way or another, document your struggle with this decision.

As with any choice, you really have to prioritize your wishes. Is it worth saving $200/night to be a 15 minute walk to the beach and have to deal with feeling like a trespasser on Caneel's beaches. As opposed to spending that extra money and using Caneel's services and grounds at your leisure and waking up each morning steps from the most beautiful beaches and most serene setting on the island. Some would choose to spend the money - others wouldn't. It's personal. We can't answer this question for you.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

i don't think its trespassing, since beaches at caneel (at least some) are public
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

it has nothing to do with waking up to its beaches.

it has to do with mediocre & some negative reviews posted on other travel sites.

does not make sense why such a magical place would get poor reviews, unless the service or food was bad.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM

I didn't say you would be legally trespassing - I said you will "feel" like you are trespassing.

Any place - however stellar the reputation - will have negative reviews (in fact, the more stellar the reputation, the more complaints they will have since people will generally have much higher expectations). You have to see what people are complaining about and take it with a grain of salt. Did you read my trip report? I think my analysis was fair. Caneel certainly isn't perfect, but I was aware of its shortcomings going in and they wouldn't stop me from going back.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

did you see barracuda or sharks when snorkeling?
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM

I don't recall any barracuda while snorkeling. I saw a solitary nurse shark at Hawksnest. They're about as dangerous and aggressive as a turtle if that's your concern.

There are sharks in these waters though. Tragically, a scuba diver's body was just found a week ago in the BVI's. It was mauled apart by sharks (although they don't think he was killed by sharks):

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.co...me?id=17618656
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM

Caneel is completely worth it in my opinion. We absolutely loved it there. Plus they usually upgrade you when you check in.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

i think the beaches there would be worth it.

however, after doing research, i found villas in the same price range as caneel. you get villa overlooking the ocean, outdoor hot tub & private pool.

Bedroom(s) 3
Bath(s) 4.0
Sleeps 6

i guess it depends if you want to be ON the beach, or want scenic view on top of a hill.. overlooking ocean.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:15 AM

Most negative reviews of Caneel are from those who didn't do their homework beforehand. They thought that big $$$ meant marble baths, TV, grand lobbies, the Ritz look. Caneel is all about West Indies casual elegance in an incomparable tropical beachfront setting. The rooms are scattered about 170 acres and 7 tree-shaded white sand beaches with wade-in snorkeling. All within the National Park--no development to be seen anywhere. If you like THAT, then Caneel is for you, and worth the money.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM

We've been going to Caneel for years and wouldn't go anywhere else. It's not a perfect resort, but fits what we want: the ability to stroll down to beautiful beaches everyday. For the price of Caneel you can get amazing villas (especially during the summer) but then you also need to deal with a rental car, parking, etc.etc. You're the only one who can decide what's most important!
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:58 AM

Jerrod --- loved your trip report!
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM

All the beaches in the Virgin Islands are accessible for the public. No one will ask you to leave. You can have a meal, drink or swim, without fear.

You won't be able to use their towels, snorkel, etc., so bring your own.