Help with family trip..

Aug 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Help with family trip..

My husband and I are trying to plan a trip with some family, and need major advice! First of all, there are 8 people total going on the trip, 4 adults and 4 children (ages 5,4,1,1). We are looking to travel sometime hopefully between May and July of 2009. Basically we're looking for a good AI resort with a beautiful beach. With so many children we really aren't looking to venture around the island, just stick close to home and enjoy the beach/resort. It's a must that there are things for the kids to do (the 1 year olds are obviously limitted in this dept., but they can toddle around in the sand or something). We have looked into Beaches but to be honest it seems a bit pricey, even for all it has to offer. The safety of an island is top priority as well (my husband refuses to visit Jamaica.. despite my telling him we would survive the experience lol.. don't ask!!) We are traveling from Rochester, NY and would really like to keep a budget under $4500 a family if possible.. Any suggestions? Are young children (such as the 1 year-olds) charged the same as everyone else at most resorts? So I guess my question is which islands and resorts would you suggest? The lush tropical feel is very important to us as well.. the whole "paradise" hora I guess! I love greenery, palm trees, beautiful clear water, the whole nine yards. I've been to Grand Cayman a few times and though it's a wonderful charming island, not quite green enough for me if that helps at all.. we're basically looking to escape to a nice family atmosphere, the last thing I want is drunken people partying all around us as we sit on the beach with our children. Anywho.. I'll stop babbling, any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks
Aug 9th, 2008, 01:35 PM

I would definitely look into the AI resorts near Playa del Carmen, Mexico. It's an easy flight into Cancun, then about a 1 hour drive away from the madness of Cancun. There are so many there that would fit your requirements; I stayed at the RIU because I got a great deal but I walked over to the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal and it was more lush and right on the ocean. The nice thing with those is you can always take a quick 5 minute cab ride to the town of Playa del Carmen if you want to shop or have a dinner on your own. There have been so many new resorts built around that area (Tulum is not far either) so you should have a large selection.
Aug 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

I guess with the budget I should be more specific, I said $4500 a family but there are 2 families going lol.. sorry about that! And thanks for the Playa del Carmen tip, that's one I haven't looked into yet!!
Aug 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Hey Kaseys412, I think a really good resort is the Grand Sirenis in Cancun, that's where I would go for a good vacation at a good price!
Aug 10th, 2008, 07:05 AM

I would recommend going in May. The weather will be good and the crowds will be less since the rest of the kiddies will be in school.

Not all inclusive, and I have not been, but I have read a lot about a resort called the Buccaneer in St. Croix. I have considered this resort for my family, but I have teens and it seems like a resort that has more younger families. Breakfast is included and so is free kids camp. I believe the four and five year olds would be included in that. There are family rooms that are reasonably priced. You may want to check it out.

Aug 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Club Med Punta Cana. Nothing would be as good a choice for kids your ages
Aug 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Why don't you try using a travel agent? They can answer all your questions and find the best price and it's FREE!! You don't have to pay a travel agent.