Help! Which island to visit in March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am new to fodors, but I have been enjoying reading some of the other posts, so I figured I’d give it a try!

My boyfriend and I (29 and 37) are looking to book our annual spring break vacation (I’m a teacher) and we are hoping for some advice. We are very active and prefer the more adventurous vacation over the resort-style accommodations. We are looking for a place that can offer snorkeling (preferably right offshore), kayaking, and hiking, while still being able to sit back and relax and go out once in a while.

Most recently, we went to St Lucia, which was a perfect fit for us. It really checked all our boxes and turned out to be exactly what we were looking for! We spent most of our time on the southern side of the island, about 6 nights, and spent the final 4 on the north side. We enjoyed splitting it up this way too, and wouldn’t mind doing that again.

I have been trying to find another destination that would give us a similar experience and I was hoping that you could help! We have been considering Antigua, but I wasn’t sure if there would be enough to do for 10 days. I was also interested in Roatan, though we don’t dive, so I’m not sure if it would be as worthwhile, or Belize.

Any help you could offer is much appreciated!!
Thank you!
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antigua is a nice island but it lacks an abundance of the walk in snorkeling you are seeking. There is not very much snorkelingvaround the island and the “best” spots which are only average are accessible only by boat.

For people looking for very good to excellent walk in snorkeling most Caribbean experts would normally recommend the Us and British Virgin Islands, HOWEVER, they suffered sever damage from hurricanes Irma and Maria and are still in the process of recovery. Many resorts and hotels were either completely destroyed or closed for major repairs. It is doubtful they will be back to normal by March so I’d skip them for this year.

Bonaire has some excellent off beach snorkeling but it is a flat arid island - the exact opposite of the lush and mountainous St.Lucia.

Roatan and Belize are good alternatives since they offer a lot of what you are seeking.

If you can give up on the snorkeling look at visiting the sister islands of St. Kitts and Nevis. There’s only a little snorkeling on the both islands and it’s nothing to write home about). They are both mountainous islands with dense rain forests, have lots of history, very good hiking, kayaking and other water sports. The best parts they are only a couple miles apart so it is very easy to travel between the two.

If you really need walk in snorkeling and can give up on the mountains look at Grand Cayman.

Hope this helps.