Reload this Page >

Help on getting from St Martin to Anguilla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Sue

We are on a cruise that stops in Phillipsburg from 9 am. to 5 pm. My husband wants to take the ferry to Anguilla and check out the resorts over there. Is it doable in that timeframe and are there taxis at the pier in Anguilla? Don't want to have to fly to my next destination cuz we missed our ship. Thanks...

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:01 AM
penny

Yes, it can be done. The ferries leave every 30 to 40 minutes, from Marigot and only take 20-30 minutes. No problem getting a taxi at Blowing Point. Once you are on the island, I am sure your taxi driver will assist you. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to return. Most of the resorts are on the west end-a short 10-15 minute ride from the ferry.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Sue

Hi Penny,<BR><BR>Thank you for the input. Looks like we'll probably do it.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:01 PM
x

Take your passport - you will need it because you are going to a different country. The cruise line will clear you into St. Maarten and St. Martin, but not Anguilla (even people vacationing on St Martin need to take ID with them).

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:40 AM
dtour

Only problem is getting to Marigot is going to take 35 minutes.Then you might have to wait for the boat.Then boat takes 40 minutes.Then its going to take a bit to find a cab and customs.So your lookn at 2hrs each way.Remember you gotta get back by 4 if the boat leaves at 5.Sounds like a hectic day.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:09 AM
penny

You will not have any trouble finding a cab in Blowing Point, and you will not have luggage etc. cutoms will not take long. Just give yourself plenty of time to catch the return ferry. Have fun, it will appear empty compared to Marigot and Phillipsburg!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:56 PM
Terry

Sue,<BR>Ha, your husband sounds like mine! We win cruises through my husband's work and anytime we port he wants to rent a car and take off to get away from the thousands of people on that ship! We are always the first people to get off the ship when it ports! Everyone who replied before me has had a lot of good things to say about getting that ferry to Anguilla. Hey, if you got stuck there...what a place to be stuck in...just relax forget about the ship and stay on Anguilla! Ha! You'll be taking a chance doing this little trip to Anguilla, but if you do, here are some beaches to try. I don't think any beach is private, maybe Maunday's bay at the plush resort Cap Juluca. That is the most beautiful beach there, in my opion. Shoal Bay West where you'll find Cove Castles is gorgeous too and might not be as crowded as others. There are always PLENTY of taxis at Phillipsburgh and the harbour (Blowing Point) in Anguilla. They know when those ships come in, believe me! The ferry ride can be bumpy (motion sickness medicine, if you're touchy in this area) and it is about a 20 minute ride. It can be quite a wait in Anguilla (have your passports ready) & it use to cost around $9.00 a person ferry fare and a $2.00 a person departure tax before boarding. Could be more now??? A taxi may cost $12.00- $20.00 depending where you want to go when you arrive in Anguilla...and don't forget to tip the driver!<BR>Terry

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:27 PM
Penny

I have never had a long wait at Blowing Point! Must have gone thru about 11 times! NOt sure about day trippers, but we make sure to ask for the custom form and fill it out before we arrive. Each ferry has a form, a number is assigned to each boat. Go to Cap Juluca and Maundays Bay, all beaches are public. We love Trattoria Tramonto, on the empty Covecastles beach, they supply chairs and umbrellas for their patrons. This is just a 5 minute ride from CJ-closed on Mondays only, or have lunch at Georges at CJ, or CuisinArt!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:29 AM
RichF

I would go to the beach, that almost every guide book and beach list, rates as Anguilla's best beach: Shoal Bay (East)! <BR><BR>The following great beaches are closer to the ferry: Maunday's Bay, Barnes Bay, Mead's Bay, Rendezvous Bay, Shoal West, Barnes Bay, Cove Bay and Road Bay. But...<BR><BR>Why go for number 2 or 3, when you can go for the best? Shoal Bay has Uncle Ernie's, Pressure King, etc. Check out this websight regarding Anguilla's beaches http://net.ai/beaches. I think it would be the most memorable trip.<BR><BR><BR>