Guadeloupe, Martinique or St Martin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a vacation for the upcoming winter. I cannot decide between Guadeloupe, Martinique, and St Martin. I am a single dad and will be vacationing with my three sons - 20, 18, and 13. The boys would like to surf and scuba dive and try other water sports. We love French culture - cusine, language, and music as well as learning of indigious culture, the blended cultures, and exploring the geography of the region. I do not think a place "too quiet" would be ideal for the boys - night-time activity and a little "European" shopping would fit the boys temperment. Great food and great beach and island exploration plus experience of the blended cultures in activities and recreation is what we are after. The boys are comfortable with their ability in the French language.

I welcome any suggestions as we quickly try to determine an ideal place and begin booking. Thanks.
#Guadeloupe, #Martinique, #StMartin, #teenagedboys,
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 06:29 AM

We love Saint Martin.
We went to Guadeloupe and didn't like it as much. Guadeloupeans are not as friendly the food is not as good and more expensive.
Nature is great.
Saint Martin is very small and a little derelict on French side. Dutch side is more built (5stars resorts and such abundant) and more U.S.-like.
We didn't go to Martinique but heard it is great.
I did a TR on St Martin. Click in my name and look for it !
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 07:21 AM

St. Martin is not very French. Of the other two, I would look at Martinique. St.Pierre for the history, Ste.Anne for the beautiful beach. Not crazy about Fort-de-France, but you can pretty easily avoid it. Martinique is a BIG island. I was going to say I have never heard of surfing there, but a quick look at the tourism site shows there is. The French will be very helpful.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 09:31 AM

Look for a blog, Alte Cocker Travels, by an older woman who trades homes all over the world and blogs about It. Her writing is funny. She writes about herself in third person. Get past that though, and her stories are very informative. She is quite amazing, going into way off the beaten path places, meeting locals, catching rides with just about anybody, etc. She is self sufficient and adventurous.

She spent a month (I think it was a month) on Martinique. Her story about her experiences will give you an interesting look at Martinique. Of course, just one person, and a bit of an odd one at that, but worthwhile.
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 01:21 PM

Since when is Saint-Martin not french ?
Of course dutch part is not frenchspeaking (neither is it dutchspeaking btw) but french side is French.
Not the same kind of French as in France, but at least as French as in Guadeloupe...
But most of them speak english.
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 04:28 PM

It's not French as in it has been overtaken by non-French influences. The food is great, but you don't need to speak French like you do in Martinique or Guadeloupe. The cruise ship industry and the large number of Americans visiting have changed St Martin greatly. I also think the EU has changed the culture of the French islands. Don't get me wrong, I love Grand Case, but it is not strictly French. The Dutch side isn't very Dutch, either.;-)
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 08:51 AM

US don't venture into french side much.
As a frenchspeaking guy living half of my time in France, I'm very surprised by your comment - I don't find Guadeloupe more or less french than St Martin and I still have to meet somebody who doesn't speak french. Albeit, as you mention, they all speak English.
And as you correctly point out, nearly nobody speaks dutch in the dutch side. I found only 1-2 people who would speak dutch with me there.
And as you correctly state too, there are some influences that don't go straight back to Vercingetorix and other Gauls.
Anyway each to his own, I merely wanted to point out that I love St Martin, have been twice, have been to Guadeloupe once and will never go back (mostly because people are not very friendly) and plan to go to Martinique.
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 04:35 PM

Whathello: Did you visit Iles des Saintes? My favorite part of Guadeloupe, although I have to say I have spent some time in Deshaies and enjoyed it too. We prefer French St Martin to Dutch St.Maarten, but they have both been "Americanized". Martinique is a great place.

P.S. I like all of our Caribbean islands, they all have something special. ;-)
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 05:13 PM

Eastenderusvi,
A year or so ago, I was super enthusiastic about going to Martinique, had read a lot and it seemed interesting and fun. They were having super special rates on direct flights from Baltimore.

Then, I read Alte Cocker Travels blog, and decided it probably wasn't for me. So, what do you think makes Martinique a great place? Thanks.

BTW, my DD, who lives on St Kitts, loves Dominica. Any opinions on that island?
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 02:17 PM

Sassafrass: I skimmed the blog briefly and note that she seemed to spend a lot of time in Fort-de-France and Trois Islets during a hot time of year, probably not the most delightful areas on the island. There are some stunning spots there, including St Pierre, but I think you have to settle in and explore. There is a lovely book called "School Days" by Patrick Chamoiseau about his childhood in Martinique that made the place come alive. Someone really needs to speak French there (did I already say that?)

I have only been to Dominica briefly by sail boat. It is an eco-paradise with hiking and hot springs and verdant mountains. I'd love to go back.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 05:04 PM

Thank you, Eastenderusvi,
You made me think I would enjoy it after all. I think I will read the book, but unfortunately, I do not speak French, and that seems to be important there. I can make out enough written words to read signs, schedules, etc. but not enough for any conversation.

That is exactly what DD said about Dominica and what she loves. She also said the flowers were unbelievably beautiful and fragrant.
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 08:21 AM

Sassa,
I don't think you NEED to speak french - in Guadeloupe enough english is spoken, I guess the same applies in Martinique.
As for Alte Cocker, I cannot read her blog.
East :
Yes, I loved les iles saintes, and I also stayed about one week at Deshaies, close to the old house of Coluche and now le jardin botanique.
Mvg.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 03:34 AM

In the southern Caribbean, there is a huge mixture of cultures. The French and British battled mightily for control. Martinique has maintained more "Frenchness" than some of the other islands. Dominica and St Lucia are more "creoleized", if that makes any sense. Whathello, les Saintes are probably my favorite spot in all of the Caribbean. Yes, people will speak some English in all these places, but if TravellerCDN wants a more French experience, I stand by Martinique. And Sass, "Bonjour","Merci", etc. go a long way.
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. At present I "think" that I have decided upon Martinique.

My preference is our school Christmas vacation (19 December through to 2 January) I am, however, somewhat flexible between 1 November and 1 April. I am considering a 14 day period -  though I would consider up to 21 days.

When is the best time for a stay at Martinique? Are accommodations and recreational pursuits considerably less expensive in the non-high season?

I am looking for a location that would facilitate easy access (short travel time) to the beaches of Anse Traubad and Petite les Salines as well as Plage du Bourg, Plage du Diament, Les Anses d'Arlet,and Quartier Anse L'étang. I would like to take in Mount Pelée, Saint Pierre and, perhaps, the north-east coast

So far the ideal location would appear to be in the Arrondissement of Le Marin, near Les Trois Îlets specifically. It appears both close enough and yet far enough from both Fort de France as well as Le Lamentin and close to Pointe du Bout. I am not, looking for a “busy downtown” stay/experience.

I would like to be able to rent a car and/or scooters/motor bikes as well as bicycles in addition to our recreational pursuits.

I do not know yet what type of accommodation that I should look for that would best suit our needs.

Any more advice or suggestions is most welcome. Thanks.

#Martinique
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 06:48 AM

We went during Xmas holidays in guadeloupe and back two years after in February.
Feb had better weather. You might also want to avoid French holidays. A lot of French do go to Martinique and price soar accordingly.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Have now decided on a three week Martinique vacation at the end of January.

Looking for feedback on anyone's VRBO experience and/or other accommodation advice and suggestions. I would like a good kitchen. Four beds ideal - though we could do three if necessary. A pool would be a fantastic.

Will rent a car (b-segment) by the day or for a week or so. Would also like to rent scooters and bicycles. Feedback on car rental experience is also most welcome.

I am thinking that Les Trois Îlets may be the best location for us. It appears close enough and yet far enough from Fort de France and close to Pointe du Bout.

The ideal "best" location would facilitate short travel time to the beaches of Anse Traubad and Petite les Salines as well as Plage du Bourg, Plage du Diament, Les Anses d’Arlet, and Quartier Anse L'étang. I would like to take in Mount Pelée, Saint Pierre and, perhaps, the north-east coast. We would consider a few day trips off island as well.

I have not yet given enough thought to exploring the flora and fauna off of the coast line nor of any recreational pursuits that may be available off-coast, nor of the neighbouring islands. (Such as Dominica etc.)

I welcome any suggestions, advice and comments on what I have written here as well as suggestions of activities. Thanks.

#Martinique #VRBO #carrental #islandhoping #lestroisîlets
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 12:38 AM

<i> Then, I read Alte Cocker Travels blog, and decided it probably wasn't for me.</i>
I'm glad I have been to Martinique before reading this blog, not that I could read much of it. The blog no resemblance to my experience or impressions of Martinique at all.

We stayed in Trois Ilets because it was easy to get to the places we wanted to see and there are plenty of restaurants we could walk to in the evenings. Loved St Pierre with it's colourful market and old buildings, the beaches in this area remind me of Hawaii, dark sand. We snorkelled at Anse Noire, swam at Les Salines, drove all around the island, saw the windsurfers on the Atlantic coast.

Our arrival into Fort de France was on L'Express des Iles which was a wonderful way to arrive with nice views of the fort. With 3 weeks, it would be easy to visit other islands such as Dominica, Guadeloupe etc.
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Odin - thank you. Les Trois Îlets does appear to be a great location. For sure Anse Noire, Les Salines, and St Pierre are on the list.

I will check out L'Express des Iles - thanks.

I think that I will check out Guadeloupe and, perhaps, the surrounding small islands.

I am now looking at VRBO and airbnb, as will as other accommodations. Does anyone have recommendations here? Has any one used Locations Vue Turquoise?

#LesTroisÎlets, #Accommodations