Reload this Page >

Help needed choosing a hotel in Havana.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 04:15 AM
Rhonda

A friend and I are planning to go to Havana in February. I'm torn between lying on a beach and using the sports facilities (it has been a long, hard year!) and exploring Havana. I'd like to do both. I'd like some help with choosing a hotel in Havana, perhaps the Miramar area where we could stay on/near the beach. Does anyone have a good opinion, or otherwise, of the Copacabana or the Comodoro? Our other option is perhaps the Inglaterra or Nacional, but how easy is it to get to a nice beach and find some watersports? As you can see, I want it all, but who doesn't? Help would be appreciated!

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 11:41 AM
Nils

<BR>I have stayed at both Inglaterra and Nacional. Both hotels have atmosphere and a friendly staff. Inglaterra is situated in Old Havana, and if you want to experience something special, then Inglaterra is the place. If you go 20 kilometres east of Havana to Playa del Este, then you will find excellent beaches. Here you can stay in hotel Tropicoco which is more a lively hotel. <BR> <BR>Have a nice trip. Nils

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 07:13 PM
Rhonda

Nils: <BR>Thanks for answering my post. I see from reading some of the other discussions that you know a great deal about Cuba, so I'd like to ask you some questions. We have pretty much decided on staying in Havana rather than in a resort. I have found alot of information on exploring Havana and about the people, but that is only part of what I'm looking for. I've been trying to get information on the availablity of actitvities like snorkelling and sailing. In many other countries it is possible to rent equipment on public beaches, but I can't find any information in regard to Cuba. Can you provide any or point me towards a web site that has the information? <BR>Thanks, Rhonda

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 12:25 PM
Nils

I have stayed only 3 weeks in Cuba, and I have not been snorkelling or sailing. But I have found a few adresses: <BR> <BR>snorkelling: <BR>e-mail: [email protected] has been snorkelling in south west Cuba (good <BR>experiences) in Bucanero Hotel, Amigo Resort <BR> <BR>Melia Don Juan, Cienfuegos, Cuba: <BR>Fax (535) 667012 (Cienfuegos is situated on the south coast) <BR> <BR>Sailing in Cuba: http://www.laker.net/nike/megalinks.html <BR> <BR> <BR>General tourist information: <BR>http://www.cubaweb.cu <BR> <BR>Maybe you should also visit the south coast? It is really beatiful and for an amateur it seems ideal for snorkelling. Sailing: I am sure you will find sailing opportunities in Playe del Este 20 kilometres east of Havana. Good luck! <BR> <BR>Nils

Old Nov 26th, 1998, 04:09 AM
Rhonda

Thanks for the site info. <BR>We've decided to stay at the Nacional. What is the best way to travel outside of Havana to visit the sights and beaches? <BR>Rhonda

Old Nov 26th, 1998, 05:59 AM
Nina

Hi Rhonda! We went snorkelling in Cuba - it's amazing what you see and how clear the water is. We went of a hotel tour - my suggestion is to bring your own gear if you can. Cuba is very poor - what the tour supplied us with was not in the best of shape. We are planning a trip to Cuba this Christmas and we will invest in some fins and mask. Have a great trip!! <BR>

Old Nov 26th, 1998, 07:14 AM
Nina

Hi Nils! <BR>Have you stayed at the Tropicoco? We are thinking about booking this hotel for Christmas but was wondering about the location - it looks secluded in the brochure - is it near a town so you can go exploring? Also wondering about the food since it's an all-inclusive.

Old Nov 26th, 1998, 03:15 PM
Rhonda

Hi Nina <BR>Thanks for the info. Were you staying at a hotel outside of Havana when you took your snorkelling trip? I finally realized that I'm going to have to book some kind of excursion out of Havana if I want to go snorkelling or anything else. <BR>About the Tropicoco-I looked into it. It is about 25 minutes from Havana by car. <BR>Rhonda

Old Nov 28th, 1998, 06:53 AM
Nils

Hi Rhonda and Nina, <BR> <BR>Yes, I have stayed in Hotel Tropicoco in Playa del Este which a typical holiday resort where there are many Cubans (which is not the case in Varadero) Hotel Tropicoco is a 3 star hotel. It is OK. It has its own doctor if you should need medical help. Just 5 minutes to the beatiful beach. Be aware of thieves. Playa del Este is a lively place with discoteques, etc. Salsabands are playing on the beach and in the hotels. Life is good in Playa del Este. The best way to go there is by taxi. I generally recommend taxi if the distance is not too far (above 50 kilometres). Then it is best to rent a car. Have a nice trip! The bus system seemed to more or less to have collapsed. <BR> <BR>Nils <BR>