Search

help for 1st trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help for 1st trip

My husband and I are hoping to go somewhere warm mid-November for a few days. We have never been to the Caribbean or Mexico. We are in our mid-fifties, don't want to be surrounded by kids, are not into partying or drinking. We do love history and hope to balance relaxing with visiting interesting places. I don't want to be worrying all the time about our safety either. I am not adventurous in the water and prefer pools to the ocean but would enjoy some time on an uncrowded beach. We would welcome advice. Thanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 03:50 AM

What's your budget? That always helps us help you.

History in Caribbean is sparse, there's little ruins to explore, most are small countries. Mexico has temples and whole cities with history. There are some smallish forts in some islands, St. Kitts, St. Martin, and Puerto Rico come to mind.

Mid November is great to avoid kids for the most part, as long as not during Thanksgiving week.

Dominican Republic has gorgeous city with history, including Columbus tomb in Santo Domingo. Only thing is you have to travel a couple of hours to explore, if staying around La Romana that has beaches.

Grand Turk fits most of your criteria too, except the pools there are tiny! Amazing museum (Reporting Columbus landed her first, Austronaut Glenn landed here after circling space, buildings on Front street made of scraps from old Pirate ships) Tiny island, safe, and beaches are like giant swimming pools.

Biggest problem with Caribbean islands is they're small enough they don't take long to explore. (Except for Mexico and DR)
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 06:00 AM

Tell us too what "a few days" means - 3 days, 5 days, 7 days???? Also, where you are traveling from. That information could make a BIG difference in the recommendations the "experts" will give you.

If you are interested in Mayan history consider Cancun and Belize - lot's of Mayan ruins all over the place. One caveat though - Cancun itself may have too much of a party atmosphere for you.

Puerto Rico has alot of history, especially in and around Old San Juan but it is a city environment even though the city has beaches. You could stay in the outlying areas and take a day trip to Old san Juan
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We have 4 days- maybe could make it 5. We are coming from the Philadelphia area. We would be traveling the weekend before Thanksgiving and home in time to make the traditional dinner. And we need to watch the budget. I haven't priced a trip like this before so I don't know what to expect to pay. We usually drive on our vacations up and down the East Coast. So, we have a lot to learn about this trip.
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into the Playa del Carmen area.....Mexico's Riviera Maya. It's south of Cancun and does not have the party atmosphere. There are ruins to explore.
Are you looking for an all inclusive resort or a boutique type hotel?
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 04:08 PM

What you expect to pay and what you can afford are 2 different things.

Why can't you give us a $ budget so we can help?