Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help: Caribbean Vacation for this budget??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been tasked with pulling together a multi-family anniversary trip that for me is "last minute". We will be traveling in mid-August. For now, there are 11 people:

5 40 somethings
4 kids (7 - 13)
2 active retirees

The "requirements" as I understand them (it's still a moving target) are:
nice beach / blue water
pool
some activity off the beach / resort at night (not "San Juan" level but somewhere to escape the clan, if you know what I mean)
off-shore (i.e. free) snorkeling a plus
5-7 days (hopefully closer to 7)
multiple rooms/accommodations are okay (so is a big house I guess)

The kicker is the $3500 budget for a family of 4 from the DC area. I'll expect to pay a little more from Indy.

We aren't normally AI types, but we may have to for budget reasons. Not sure how that goes with the off-resort activity/nightlife requirement though.

Given the timing, I was drawn to Aruba or Curacao (outside of the hurricane belt), but we don't know if we can swing that. Mexico is usually mentioned for the budget conscious. I guess we'd have to take the hurricane risk/insurance and I'm not sure if off resort requirement (other than Cancun?) could be met.

Help!
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem with Aruba or Curacao is the plane fair would severly cut into your budget. YOu could easily do Mexico's Riviera Maya area for that. YOu could do AI or get a condo on that budget.The area around Playa del Carmen is filled with AI resorts and independent hotels, etc.
You could explore the ruins, do zip lining, snorkel, etc.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 03:39 PM

Aruba is around $400 each for flights from DC in August so I do think you can do this.
August is low season too so accommodation is more reasonable.

Mexico would be cheaper and you'd get more for your money though.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 06:00 AM

Aruba would be great because it has lots of condo resorts, which gives you more space as a family and the ability to have breakfast/lunch in the condo and save money. This always works well with our kids because they don't like sitting in a restaurant three times a day. We stayed at the Marriott Aruba Ocean club but that might be beyond your price range. Also check out: Playa Linda, Costa Linda, La Cabana, Amsterdam Manor. I really don't recommend going AI in Aruba, lots of great restaurants (also familiar options for the kids such as dunkin donuts, Outback, some fast food) and I really do not think the prices are that high, if you are from DC you probably won't either. We have also been known to pack non-perishable food items to save some money (we have two hungry teenagers!) I also think Curacao could be a very good choice depending on airfare. I think the Marriott there is one of the best value resorts in the Caribbean and in the summer the prices are very low (also, they have AAA discounts). They don't have condos but they do have small refrigerators in the room. There's also a brand new Hyatt Curacao that just opened and they are probably having specials. Driving in both Aruba and Curacao is very easy. I also agree Playa Del Carmen would be a good choice although it seems that area always gets hammered by storms at that time of year. For a great value with breakfast and dinner included -- check out Shangri-la Caribe. (It has a new name now but if you search on tripadvisor you should be able to find it).
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 09:02 AM

You can always rent a house in Aruba with 5 rooms and a pool... you won't have ocean front.. but it's cheaper and an option...
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Yes, this budget is do-able in Aruba as long as it doesn't have to include meals and entertainment/tours. For just flights and lodging, it's well within what I'd expect. Look for a condo so you can fix some meals in rather than a house (because you're more likely to be able to find several condos in the same complex). Curacao is harder because of the cost of airfare, but it might be possible.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:42 PM
KVR

"check out Shangri-la Caribe. (It has a new name now but if you search on tripadvisor you should be able to find it)."

It's now called Mahekal Beach Resort. We plan on staying there in December. It's a very quaint complex with cottages on the beach. They include breakfast and either lunch or dinner. To us it seems more of a place for couples or a small family.

I think Playa/Riveria Maya would be a good choice as there is plenty to see and do off the resorts that would fit everyone's interest. Look at the Gran Porta Real in Playa and see if it fits your needs. The Iberostars, RIU's Barcelos and Occidentals would work if you also if you do consider AI to save on those food and drink costs.

Aruba would be a great choice also, but food/drink prices will be higher than Mexico. AI hotels are also mcuh more expensive in Aruba than in Mexico. The Marriott would be a good choice for such a large group. The Holiday Inn would be more afforable.

We found airfare to Curacao expensive and quite hard to get to. Most flights on AA will have you overnighting in Miami. It took us two years to finally find a flight we could afford, but ended up on Continental to Aruba and then Insel Air to Curacao, which I do not recommend with a very large group.

If you're wanting to rent a house or vacation home, many people use http://www.vrbo.com/
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Unfortunately, the budget must include food and everything. Aruba may be a stretch but I will try some of the options listed.

KVR -- did you like the Holiday Inn experience. Do they have AI options (I thought I saw something to that effect).

Two options that do meet the budget:

1) Breezes Curacao (I know, mixed reviews). I have a co-worker who went there and said it was worthwhile given proper expectations though.

2) Barcelo Maya Beach.

The other Riveria Maya options were more expensive, but I'll keep looking.

I guess I'm leaning AI with the thought of feeding 11 every night. I need to get some more clarification on the activity requirement. Sounds like Mexico might offer more daytime activities but Aruba (and even Curacao?) would have more off-resort options at night. Agree or no?
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM
KVR

The Holiday Inn was OK. We went in 2006 right after they refurbished 2 of the towers and still had another one to go. They do have an AI option and we did go AI. Their food in the main dining area, which is strictly buffet, was pretty bad. You have to get up early and stand in line for reservations for only ala cart resturants, which we never did. Their outside lunch/grill was the best. Drinks ran $5 for a beer and $9 for a fruity cocktail. It was the worth the AI option just for that. I wouldn't do it again. There are just so many really great resturants within walking distance, but can get expensive. For 2 people with air and the AI option I paid $3,000. We've been to Mexico 9 times and I can get air, hotel and AI for two people for around $1,500 - $2,000 depending on what hotel I choose.

The RIU in Aruba is coming in at $4,000 and Secrets Maroma in the Mayan Riveria is around the same. So I would never stay at either. It's just not worth the price (IMHO).

Check the on-line booking agencies like Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheapcaribbean.com or beachdestinations.com and price out for various hotels.

When we went to Curacao last year, I just couldn't do Breezes. The reviews were just too horrid for us to pay that amount of money for. We stayed at the Lions Dive in a 2 bedroom apartment for the same price. Granted it wasn't AI, but it did have a full kitchen and free shuttle service to the local grocery store. Personally, we did not like Curacao. The beaches are made up of several cove inlets. Not stretchs of sand like in Aruba or Mexico. The beaches are crushed coral. You'll need to wear water shoes. We found it difficult to get around without a rental car. There are more off-site activites in Mexico.

I would highly suggest Cozumel, MX. You'll get way more for your money as the AI hotels are usually the leaset expensive in that area. Downtown San Migual have really great dining options that are quite reasonalbe and several places offer drinks specials. It also very quaint and have plenty of charm. There are plenty of things to see and do including taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen.

If you interested, we have all our vacation pics on-line. You might see something that appeals to you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM

You amentioned the Barcelo Maya. That would really fit your needs. There is a water park for the children....lots of activities or you can kick back and relax....very nice beach and pools.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Ack, there's 5 different Barcelo Maya hotels. What's the difference and which should I go with?
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Evidently there are 3 tiers:

1) Beach / Caribe
2) Colonial / Tropical
3) Palace Deluxe

I'll comb Trip Advisor, but does anyone (schmerl?) have any specific comments on these? Thanks again.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:50 AM

If you need to come all in at $3,500 or less including meals, Aruba simply isn't going to be possible if you want to stay a full week, even in the August travel doldrums. Travel to Aruba actually ticks up then because people want to avoid the hurricane season.

For a full week, I'd look more closely at Mexico (many options), Jamaica (Holiday Inn Sunspree in Montego Bay), or the DR (many lower-end options). I think those are your only real possibilities. The options expand a bit if you go for only 5 days/4 nights; then I think Aruba is in the mix again, but you'd have to stay at a really cheap resort ... and I mean really cheap for Aruba. But they exist.

What you need to be doing is focusing on destinations that you can get to on United from Dulles. Those are probably going to be the best-priced destinations for you.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Indy,

We have stayed at Barcelo Tropical/Colonial twice. It is a great value for the price. Food was good to very good, Drinks were spotty but could usually find something. The resort itself is immaculate and beautiful. The pools are fantastic. But the best part of Barcelo complex is the beach, arguably one of the best in RM. There is fantastic snorkeling right off the beach. Watersports (sailing, kayak, etc.). Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM

I agree.. Aruba is too much...

Def. look into AI... we enjoyed the RIU Palace Riviera Maya.. AI.. if you do the Mayan Riviera check out Xcaret kids will love it, heck we did... and also a day trip to one of the Mayan Ruins like Chichen Itza...check out Tulum...

The beaches there are not as pretty as Aruba, but not bad, and it will suit your needs with regards to AI...

HI in Aruba is not bad.. it's one of the only hotels that maintained its name in all these years... the RIU is the best AI I believe... you can also look into the Tamarijn for AI..it's on the low rise side of things.. but to get more for your money with that many people, Mayan Riviera might have to do it...and is not a bad option at all!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm leaning towards Barcelo @ Riviera Maya and now I just need to convince the others. I have a few questions about that resort, but I'll jump over to the Mexico forum rather than to continue to hijack this one. Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Dominican Republic - I think that you can't beat it for the price. The people, and beaches, are beautiful. Staying at an AI will give you the opportunity to get some adult time while the kids are close. I was just looking into Curacao myself and I'm really concerned about the "dirty beaches" and other bad reviews. Aruba - family vacation? I don't think it's a great idea.
Good luck -
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 02:33 PM

Indy_dad,
For anything you need to know about the Barcelo Maya, try this site:
http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/forum/index.php
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM

The Dominican Republic is very affordable, once you're there. We stayed at Casa de Campo, in friends' golf villa. It has a private beach w/snorkeling and beach attendants (free use), a nice clubhouse, gorgeous hotel, three golf courses, polo grounds, etc. Very nice.

I think my friends rent theirs for $500/night, which includes a housekeeper during the days to make beds, prepare meals. Theirs has three bedrooms and three baths, beautiful open air living room and dining room, plus beautifully landscaped yard with a large jetted pool (maybe 12x12?) Try VRBO to find availabilities.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 04:57 AM

You seem to be thinking that AI is less expensive. I don't understand. You can look up grocery stores (not the expensive convenience store at a resort) ahead of time, or just have everyone bring a box of their family's favorite cereal. Fresh fruit, locally purchased (& grown, if you can find it!), coffee, done! Lunches can be just as simple. So then you have to pay for supper out, which should be doable for the price bump you'd pay for AI, and then you're not tied to a certain set of restaurants.

If the DC family complains about having to pay for groceries, remind them that they'd be buying groceries at home too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -