Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Health Risks in the Caribbean- Dengue, Parasites....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:15 AM
Guard Your Health

I compared the "health risks" that Lonely Planet lists for several Caribbean destinations. I have copied them below and would appreciate comments. I was shocked that they list "None" for Jamaica, esp. in light of what they list for the others.<BR><BR>____________<BR><BR>Anguilla and Antigua and Barbuda: "Sunburn, diarrhea and intestinal parasites"<BR><BR>Aruba: "Sunburn"<BR><BR>Barbados: "Dengue fever, diarrhea and intestinal parasites; leptospirosis can be present in freshwater streams"<BR><BR>British Virgin Islands: "Sunburn, dengue fever"<BR><BR>[I note that in the past, they listed only sunburn for the BVI]<BR><BR>Cayman Islands: "Sunburn, poisonous plants"<BR><BR>Jamaica: "None" [??!!]<BR><BR>Puerto Rico: "Sunburn, small risk of hepatitis and bilharzia, being subject to repeated explosions over 190 decibels near the Vieques military training facility"<BR><BR>____________<BR><BR>(The above is from http://lonelyplanet.com/textexpress/ame-text.htm)<BR><BR>Thank you for any replies.<BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:15 AM
tivertonhouse

Aside from Vieques bombardment, the same precautions apply for Jamaica.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:22 AM
anon

There have been several reports of Dengue fever in the BVI but nothing recently. It is important no matter which island to use the mosquito repellent but there is nothing epidemic or endemic about the few isolated cases. And diagnosis is not easy nor often accurate.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:55 AM
brenda

May I add the following:<BR><BR>St. John, USVI: Intestinal parasites<BR><BR>Lucky me, I brought one back from my honeymoon, and I'm happy to say he's losing the battle with antibiotics as I write this. As miserable as I feel, I wouldn't have missed it. It's a small price to pay for paradise.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:15 AM
Tanya

Many years ago while vacationing in Mexico, I found myself extremely ill. Diagnosis - parasite. I can relate to the previous post having suffered severely for almost one year and still feeling the effects almost nine years later. Most infectious diseases can be picked up in any country you are travelling in - just remember some are at higher risk. Take precautions if able.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:09 AM
Karen

Brenda, did you stay in a villa? Drink cistern water? Just curious! It does happen when our "delicate" systems are not used to the cistern water. Feel better soon!

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 11:05 AM
unfortunatley

I found the food in St. Lucia to be unedible. I could not keep a single meal in my stomach

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 11:54 AM
brenda

karen: i did stay in a villa, but my husband and i were very careful not to drink any cistern water (that included using bottled water for coffee, ice cubes, etc.) i can only imagine where i picked up this critter. must have been from a restaurant or bar, because everything at the villa was packaged goods. my husband is fine, so i imagine it must have been something i ate or drank while dining out. let me tell you, it's very uncomfortable. after reading tanya's post, i'm not sure the trip was worth it after all...<BR><BR>ugh.