Hawaii vs. Carib. water, weather, locals?

Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Hawaii vs. Carib. water, weather, locals?

I realize that October is hurricane season in the Caribbean which is why I am contemplating Hawaii. My problem, in some of the photos of Hawaii, the water does not look as nice as the Caribbean. How do they compare? I am new scuba diver, I have dove in Jamaica and Mexico. Also, I am looking for a villa with privite pool/jacuzzi and this is hard to find in Hawaii (although condo's seem to be popular) And the scuba is more expensive in Hawaii it seems. So my question, to those of you that have been to both Hawaii and parts of the Caribbean, which do you recommend. Do I take my chances with hurricane season in the Caribbean just for the clearer water? Oh, when we stayed in Jamaica, we felt very pressured by the locals, this is something we want to avoid enormously. We want to be able to rent a car and tour around on our own while feeling safe. Which island in the Caribbean is like this, if any? Sorry so long, Thanks in advance!
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:47 AM

Hi Oceanlover! When I lived on the west coast, Hawaii was our yearly vacation destination. I've been to Maui, Kaui, the big island and Oahu. Now that I live on the east coast, the Caribbean is where we vacation. While I love Hawaii, I have to say I think the water clarity in the Caribbean is far superior to Hawaii. We have been to the islands of St. John (USVI), Anegada (BVI), Cat Island (Bahamas), Anguilla and Turks & Caicos, so we have been around a bit in the Caribbean. If you are looking for great dive areas, of the places we have been I would recommend Cat Island (the Exuma Sound side.) There are cottages for rent on Cat Island, as well as two all-inclusive resorts (Fernandez Bay and Hawks Nest Resort, where we stayed. It was great!) We found the locals to be exceptional on Cat. The island only got electricity about six or seven years ago, so it is not a mecca for tourists. Just some food for thought. By the way, all of our Caribbean vacations (except 2) were during hurricane season, and we never had a problem. Food for thought. Good luck with your plans.
Feb 5th, 2003, 09:30 AM

You are right in saying that Hawaii is more expensive. I think you would be happier diving in the Carribean. The ABC islands would be a great way to be sure you would not get caught up in a hurricane. The only problem is that I don't know that you would have much luck with finding a villa there.
Feb 5th, 2003, 01:12 PM

There is a plethora of villas on St. John which has easy access to some of the best diving in the Caribbean in the BVI. Although hurricane season with a few places closed there would still be plenty to do and see and the water clairity is great as long as there is no storm in the area. If a major hurricane hits anywhere in the Caribbean it is likely to disturb islands even miles away so don't head to the ABC's figuring you are free from that worry. There are no beach vendors or locals hassling on the streets or on the beaches in the USVI and you certainly would have your privacy in one of the many villas. Take a peek at www.stjohnlinks.com and vinow.com for information about the USVI and especially St. John.
Feb 5th, 2003, 03:56 PM
CF

We have been to Hawaii once. We have been to the Caribean approx. 30 times. Nuff said. Have fun!
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:42 PM

Three Carib islands that are below the "hurricane belt" are Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. All three, and especially Bonaire, are excellent dive sites.
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:26 PM
CF

Grenada is about 90% safe as far as hurricanes go too.