Has anyone stayed at Compass Point recently?

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Debbie

Has anyone stayed at Compass Point recently?

We are planning on staying at Compass Point and I would like to know if anyone has been there recently? It looks great. Unique and small will a good deal of amenities. I have heard the restaurant is great. Do I have the right impression?

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Maureen

Debbie: We stayed there in April last year and we loved it! It's quite a place. The only drawback is that it's isolated (but with taxis, rental cars and buses you can get around) and there's some airplane traffic you hear during the day (one plane an hour). The restaurant and the staff are great. The views are gorgeous. I would certainly go back.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Debbie

Thanks Maureen. I'm so glad to hear you liked it. Any restaurants you would recommend? Did you happen to dive or snorkel and how was it? Thanks again.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Rich

We were there in April of 2000 for our 2nd visit. The dock sustained heavy damage from the hurricane and quite a bit of foliage was lost however the dock was re-built and the "loss" of foliage would not have been noticed by a 1st time visitor. You can snorkel from their 'beach'. There is a beautiful reef about 100 yds out. We are returning in June of this year and CAN'T wait! The Travelers Restaurant is decent and not too bad a walk (bring a flashlight). Have a nice trip.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi Debbie

We stayed at Orange Hill Beach Inn but went to the Compass Point bar around lunchtime. The bungalows are colorful and some are separated to give privacy/filter out noise.

The overall ambience I would describe as yuppie. Service seemed good. On the down side, the beach seemed quite small; the pool was average-small in size. The property also seemed more enclosed than where I stayed.

The Traveller's Rest Restaurant about 1/2 mile away is quite good and jitneys run regularly into downtown Nassau during the day. I think I would have been happy at Compass Point but preferred my inn for its more homey, less enclosed B&B ambience that was quite popular with Europeans (plus Orange Hill is cheaper and the beach there is fabulous; you feel like you have it to yourself!). However, the walls were thin, the rooms were standard hotel at O.H. and some may prefer the more informal, resort-like, yuppie atmosphere of Compass Point.

Just my thoughts. DAN

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Maureen

Hi Debbie:

Traveller's Rest like Rich and Daniel suggested is another option.

The Poop Deck II at Sandyport is an upscale, relatively new restaurant with a nice ambience.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Daniel Williams

HI

That last sentence should have read "more formal, resort-like" not INformal. IF you go into downtown Nassau, I also highly recommend Bahamian Kitchen on Trinity Place for authentic local cuisine. (I highly enjoyed my delicious peas 'n rice and grouper fingers!) Service is slower than in some fast-paced city restaurants at this place, but I did not find uncomfortably slow. Order a Kalik beer or other beverages, chat with company and you'll be fine...I hadn't even finished my Kalik before the food had arrived!

Have a great time on an island I loved to go to to relax!

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Debbie

Thanks for all the great info. I do plan on going into Nassau for a couple dinners so I appreciate the restaurant info. Is it necessary to rent a car since maureen mentioned it's isolated. I thought that would actually be nice and we could go into nassau when we chose. I know my husband will play golf too and he will need a cab or a car. Is it easy to get cabs? Thanks once again.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Maureen

Debbie: There's no problem getting cabs, just budget for it. Count on a cab to the Cable Beach area to be about $15 one way, and to Paradise Island to be about $30. The staff at Compass Point are very helpful and used to calling cabs.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:19 AM
gail

Debbie, you really don't need a car, and since there is nowhere to park, I would actually suggest not bothering. There are always cabs available and the "buses" run from 7am to 7pm. I think the #10 bus is the route to Compas Point and it will take you all the way downtown to the straw market and when you want to go back hop on the same number bus.

Good shopping downtown and some good restaurants. If you want to have one amazing meal go to Greycliff, it is the only 5 star in the Carribean, and the food, service and ambiance are wonderful. Also they have one of the best wine lists I have ever seen. If you get the lobster bisque, try to resist the temptation to lick the bowl, lol it is THAT good. That restaurant is just about the only "dress up" place on island.

Have a GREAT time.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi Debbie,

I think you could go either way as far as a car is concerned. I wouldn't necessarily want to use one to get into downtown Nassau for dinner since parking is horrendous. Nevertheless if you want to explore the island independently in its entirety you may wish to have a car...however, you may find it a bit of a pain in the neck and not necessarily worth the expense.

Without a car, however, this is what you're facing. During the day, getting into Nassau from Compass Point is no problem. Buses (jitneys, Japanese minivans) ply the route from Compass Point to downtown every 5-15 minutes (6am-6 or 7 pm) (75 cents each way). At night, cabs are the only option other than the Western Transportation jitney which runs unfortunately only once every two hours (6:16, 8:15, 10:15, 12:15) for $1.75 each way.

We ended up trying the downtown restos for lunch and eating at the hotel for dinner.

Have a great time. DAN.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 09:35 AM
rich

I consider myself "anti-yuppie" and can't imagine anyone describing Compass Point as having a "yuppie atmosphere". We have met very interesting people there, including other families. While the "beach area" is limited it is adequate for swimming and there is a beautiful beach right next door. The pool has always satisfied our needs - if we wanted a water park we'd go to Disney. The objective with a stay at Compass Point is peace, serenity and yes security. All of those things please me and my family which is why we are going back for our 3rd stay.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Daniel Williams

Rich--

Just calling it as I saw it...true, there did seem to be suburban family-types and well-heeled middle-aged couples at Compass Point (yuppies 20 years later (smile)). The restaurant and bar were very modern/art-deco in style as were the bungalows (creating an overall effect of yuppie to me). It was an enclosed property; at less enclosed Orange Hill, I did not feel threatened for my security.

Nearby Love Beach is pleasant, but not one of the island's best. The pool looked fine for sunning and a quick dip but less so for say, doing laps. I restate though that it's a nice property all in all and I would have been happy there.

Cheers. DAN.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Debbie

Rich- a little peace and quiet sounds great. It seems we will be very happy at Compass Point.

Dan-Orange Hill sounds lovely too. Is it close to CP? Should we go there and have dinner or a walk around.

Based on what everyone said. I think we will skip renting a car.

Gail- I was planning on going to Graycliff. Should I make a reservation before we go?

Thanks again to everyone. Your information has been so helpful. I have been to Grand Cayman and Bonaire, and would be happy to help if you want any info about those to places.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Debbie

Gail-
I noticed on another posting that you mention taking the fast ferry to Harbour Island. Can you give me a little more info. How long does it take? Where do you get the ferry? and Where did you go once on HI? Thanks again.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi Debbie--

Orange Hill Inn is about a 1 mile-walk from Compass Point. Lunch-fare there is unexceptional sandwiches and burgers and dinner-fare was quite good, ranging from Bahamian specialties to pork roasts and baked chicken; good but I'm not sure if worth making a special trip.

If I were you, I would walk from Compass Point (near you, you'll walk on the side of the road for a bit); after about 1/3 of a mile you'll reach Orange Hill Beach (you won't have to walk on the road after this point), which is indeed quite lovely and you'll maybe share it with nobody or at most a few others. It's fun to scope out the obscenely expensive beachfront houses as you walk. After about 2/3 of a mile, you'll see the inn. I recommend checking out the property and maybe grabbing a beer/wine/drink at their friendly bar! And you can decide for yourself if you would like to stay there. Say hi to Judy, the owner, for me if you see her. You can catch a jitney back if you're tired or walk back.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP Dan.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Debbie

Dan-
Thanks again for all the recommendations. Looking forward to the trip.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 11:47 PM
gail

Debbie, if you are staying at Compas Point, I would skip Orange Hill there is really no comparison. I often stay at Orange Hill on my way over to Harbour Island, it is small, but a budget location, and yes the grounds are done nicely, but for a comparable hotel, go to Ocean Beach on Paradise Island.

Yes make a reservation at Greycliff, you can probably call Compas Point and have them make the reservation for you.

Harbour Island would be a wonderful day trip, or you could get a room there for a night or more if you want. The sister location to Compas Point is Pink Sands (same owner) and it is beautiful, with a nice beach bar/restaurant with villas overlooking the most beautiful beach.

YOu can catch the fast ferry over from the dock area where the cruise ships dock. The ferry the BoHengy goes over twice a day, weather permitting, early am and early in the afternoon. It takes about 2 hours and is a wonderful trip.

When you get there, find Reggie, the cab driver, and ask him for a tour of the island and then go exploring, bring a bathing suit and hit the beach, have lunch at the Harbour Lounge, pick up a trinket at Miss Sarah's straw stand and then head back to Nassau, or you may decide to stay on Harbour Island.

Our fav place to stay on island is Runaway Hill Club, it is very small only 10 rooms a lovely common area/lounge/livingroom/dining room. In the spring we usually ask for the room with a fireplace, just in case it gets cool in the evening.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Debbie

Gail-
Thanks so much for all the great info. I will call about dinner reservations soon. Any other restaurants you recommend? Harbour Island sounds wonderful. We won't have time to spend the night, but a day trip may work out. Thanks again

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi Debbie--

I disagree with Gail on this one. I think if you're a walker/explorer like myself, you will enjoy walking down the pristine beach and observing the houses as you go. The walk from Orange Hill to Compass Point is quite pleasant, about 30 to 45 minutes. Certainly the two locations are quite dissimilar, but you may wish to see what a less expensive accommodation looks like, possibly for a future visit to New Providence.

DAN

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -