Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to St. Maarten lately ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 07:55 AM
dlc

I have heard that the island has been ravaged by hurricanes,5 in the last few years.And that the island has lost most of its beauty,is this true?Is there a high rate of crime?Also need recomendations on hotel/resorts. <BR> <BR>THANKS

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 07:49 PM
Dalia

Just got back from st. martin. Trip was okay..not great but not bad. We stayed in the Meridien Hotel which is on the french side in le domaine part of the hotel. Wouldnt recommend the hotel. Room was musty, furniture in the room was old and bathroom was very small with just the toilet. Bathtub was in the middle of the room with sink etc. Surroundings of the hotel where very nice and quiet. Ate in the hotel twice in two different restaurants-food not that good. Hotels we visited which seem really nice were La samanna(((very expensive)) and Grand Case Beach clufood was good in the restaurant by Grand Case beach club I think restaurant was called the summit.) Wasnt really impressed with the shopping on either side of the island((shopping was better on the dutch side))and you can get good buys on jewlery. We rented a car and I highly recommend doing so. We went to orient beach((crowded but nice)) cupecoy beach ((nice but my boyfriend felt uncomfortable with the nude sunbathers))beach by the Samanna Hotel((absolutely gorgeous))beach by the Grand Case Beach club restaurant((nice))and the beach by the hotel ((le meridien))was very nice. I've heard there is a high rate of crime there but thank God we didnot run into anything like that. I hope I have helped you out some...Have a great trip if you go.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 03:32 PM
MNJ

St. Martin is as beautiful as ever. There is still some work to be done on the Dutch side due to damage from the last hurricane but the Dutch side isn't the side to go to anyway. The French side is beautiful. <BR> <BR>Le Meridian is a great hotel. It is very French. That is probably why Dalia didn't like it. What Dalia is trying describe is a water closet not a bathroom. I think the restaurants are very good but I prefer French food to KFC. Others prefer KFC. <BR> <BR>If you are overly concerned with what others are wearing or not wearing on the beach, then St. Martin may not be right for you. Europeans are much more comfortable with their bodies than Americans.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 02:39 PM
Diana

We were in St.Martin this past January when the hurricane damage was fairly fresh. I had been the January before (1999) as well. We were supposed to go to the dutch side which was beautiful in 1999 but were sent to the french side instead. The hurricane damage was evident, but I found the island to still be beautiful. Plants were late blooming because of the stress of the storms, but the island people had worked very hard to make it presentable. The french side is very very beautiful. The dutch side is very very friendly. You take your pick. <BR> <BR>Both trips were great and we're going again next year. <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Gary

Beautiful as ever

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 10:15 AM
Chas

The only parts of the island that still show damage (except for Mullet Bay) are the areas right around the airport. It is not that you see damaged buildings, rather buildings that are still closed for repairs. Be aware that conditions have been extremely dry lately so all of the greenery may not be there. This is an island without rivers or ponds and relies entirely on rain. Not sure when you may be going, but the greenery can come back very fast with rain. <BR> <BR>As for hotel/resorts before a specific reccomendation can be given, you must first decide (food and beaches = French side) (nightlife = Dutch side). Although it is easy to get around, that may drive your decision. <BR> <BR>Dalia: So refreshing to see an honest report. While it would have been nice if you enjoyed it more, it was not to see someone totally objective.