Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to Moon Palace Resort Cancun?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 02:31 PM
amy

I have heard that this resort is out of the spring break zone and very luxurious and clean! No reports of hepatitis. The hotel provides purified water. Is Cancun really safe as far as crime and disease?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 08:51 AM
K

We went to Moon Palace in December of '99 and had a fabulous time. The food was good, lots to do if you wanted to but also, plenty of places to just sit back and relax. The ocean and beach are not that great - the strip beach is much better, but you can take the free shuttle to any of the other Palace resorts on the strip and spend the day there. Food and drink is included for you there as well. We went into the market in Cancun a few afternoons and got some bargains on T shirts and some great silver jewelery - always bargain for a better price! Moon Palace is large so be prepared to walk a distance to get to the amenities depending on where your room is - there are two parts to the resort, both have restaurants, pools etc. and a shuttle or gold carts will take you from one lobby to the other. The water was fine for most things, but bottled water is readily available at no charge. I would stay on the beaten track in Cancun at night, but the restaurant areas etc. are all safe provided you use the common sense you should always use when travelling. Have a great time!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:14 AM
ang

We stayed at the Canun Palace for a week last summer and as the previous poster said, you can shuttle to the other Palace resorts. We spent an entire day and evening at the Moon Palace and an evening at the Sun Palace. My impression, keep in mind I only saw hotel rooms at cancun palace, was that the resorts were okay. They were much cheaper than other carribean resorts and you get what you pay for. They were clean and the pools were fabulous, drinks were plentiful and overall a good value for your money. I will say the Cancun Palace's beach was great; however the beach at the Moon Palace was very small and overed in rocks, not nearly as nice. The food was only okay and not much variety there as the buffets were the same day in and day out at all the Palace resorts, thought the speialty restaurants differed and were good. I did not think the resorts were "luxurious" though. They were nice but nothing on the level of Sandals or Grand Lidos (which I adore). I was disappointed to find out once we got ther that unlike sandals where tipping is not permitted, it is expected at the Palace resorts. One reason I like all-inclusive is so I don't have to carry money or a purse around. everyone tipped waiters at dinner and bartenders as well except at the swim up bar. I will tell you too that even though water is supposedly purified, we went as 2 couples and all 4 of us got sick with horrible stomach pains and "Montezuma's Revenge" and we never ate off the resort. All in all the vacation was okay and I would go I again for a quick and cheap getaway but I would not plan this as a long and luxurious vacation or I would be disappointed and I think that is what happened in my case. I was expecting the Ritz and got more like Holiday Inn with a nice pool and beautiful beach. I'm not saying this is bad, just go with that expectation.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 02:09 PM
Amy

I really appreciate your advice. I have also heard the Fiesta Americana Coral Beach is suppose to be incredible. Can you tell me what you think you ate that caused the Montezuma's revenge? Did you have seafood at all?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:42 PM
Karen

Altho I did not stay at Moon Palace or in Cancun but about 30 minutes south, I was amazed that I had not one bit of stomach or any other kind of problem! The hotel made it clear that the running water was not potable and we were very careful to ensure to even brush our teeth with bottled water! Most hotels do have potable water to cook with, to make ice cubes and for other uses. I ate salads and seafood exclusively but did stay away from any little stands and the like (but some were so tempting). We traveled to Cancun, to Cozumel, to Playa and to ChichenItza. I am very wary of eating anything from any kind of a buffet anywhere but especially in a hot climate and will not do it so one should not think immediately that it was the water that caused the problem.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 10:35 PM
K

Check out this site. http://www.palaceresorts.com/default.htm <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 11:01 PM
Mike

Amy, I have stayed at both the Fiesta Coral Beach and the Ritz-Carlton, and they are both excellent choices! The tap water at all of the hotels in the hotel zone is purified so you really shouldn't have any problems at all. I drank quite a bit at the above two places and didn't have any problems myself. But then again, perhaps I have a stronger "system" than you do, I don't know, but I seriously doubt it as I am quite sensitive to these types of things! I can't vouch for DOWNTOWN Cancun or any of the other surrounding areas as we did not leave the hotel zone at all, but I can say without a doubt that the hotel zone is quite nice and clean without any "shoddiness" surrounding you at all! By the way, the ocean in front of the Fiesta is more calm and clear than at the Ritz which has more of a rolling surf, in case you have a preference! I also agree that you should AVOID all buffets at any cost -- PERIOD!! Have a wonderful and safe trip!!

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 06:02 AM
amy

Thanks for all the advice. It seems as long as I stay in the hotel zone and not leave, I should be ok with not getting sick. Is the hotel room shower water to bathe in also purified? I just cant stand the thought of bathing in water that contains parasites as previous posters have said, could that be true? Oh, you mentioned to avoid the buffets at all costs, can I ask why? Thanks in advance, I have never been to Cancun and want to know everything.