Has anyone been to Caneel Bay?

Feb 3rd, 2000, 11:04 AM
Dawn

Has anyone been to Caneel Bay?

My husband and I are thinking about going to Caneel Bay and would like to know some details about it. I am looking for a little luxury and relaxation I've heard that it is very rustic is that true? How are the rooms?

Feb 4th, 2000, 05:12 AM
Keith's Nan

If you are talking about Caneel Bay on St. John, rustic is not a term I would use. I have not stayed there but have been there. Lovely property and beaches and near to all the public beaches on St. John. If the property is indicitive of the rooms, you will have luxury and relaxation. I believe you also have to "dress" for dinner but perhaps other posters can help you with this part. Enjoy your stay.

Feb 4th, 2000, 05:13 PM
ken

Did not stay there, but visited in November. Very , very nice. Great beaches , I understand the rooms are nothing special (as described by employees we talked to). Only a short taxi ride into town for great bars and restaurants. Enjoy!

Feb 4th, 2000, 09:32 PM
Mike

Actually, the whole place is a big NOTHING! Why don't you go to Hawaii and find out what a REAL 5-start resort is all about!!

Feb 5th, 2000, 07:26 AM
puzzled

I prefer 5 star resorts. I have no idea what a 5 start resort is.

Feb 5th, 2000, 01:25 PM
mike mchugh

i'm just getting back from our 3rd trip to caneel bay. the property is gorgeous. the rooms are nice. the beaches are extremely beautiful. the near off shore reefs are safe and pretty. e-mail me for more info. if you'd like.

Feb 7th, 2000, 07:17 AM
Julie

Hi Mike:
I am going to Caneel Bay in June. We are staying in one of the garden view rooms. Do you know if these rooms are as nice as ones along the beach except that the view is obviously not as good?
Also, any thoughts on meal plan vs. no meal plan. We were thinking about going on the meal plan for just part of our stay (we will be there a week).
Thanks for your help!

Feb 7th, 2000, 07:29 PM
Barry

Recognizing that the Hawaii "5 start resort" comment was meant to be partly (I hope) humorous, there's a kernel of truth there. Caneel Bay is not what I would call 'luxurious'. It's meant to be a genteel, private, quiet getaway resort situated on some of the Caribbean's most beautiful real estate, especially the beaches. Great food.
Where it falls short for me is the rooms. Very simple, basic, not in any way luxurious (compared to, say, resorts in Hawaii, etc). People don't go for the plush rooms, though. They go for the overall ambience.

Feb 8th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Scott

Does your comment cover all classes of rooms there? For example, would you consider the premier rooms to be luxurious?

Feb 8th, 2000, 09:29 PM
MIke

There is absolutely NOTHING luxurious about that place!!

Feb 9th, 2000, 09:00 AM
Julie

Mike:
Caneel Bay may not be luxurious compared to other hotels, but there must be something to it as it is consistently rated one of the best resorts in the Caribbean. It is located on some of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. Personally, I'll take beautiful beaches over "luxurious" rooms any day.

Feb 9th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Scott

I agree with Julie in that I don't need some opulent room as I plan on spending most of my time on the beach or out on the town. While I do like a nice, comfortable room, the fact that I can open my door and walk out on to one of the best beaches in the Caribbean is what matters most to me.

Feb 9th, 2000, 10:19 PM
Mike

Yes, but an opulent room AND a beautiful, all-around resort go hand-in-hand as far as I'm concerned! The grounds are quite unimpressive for a "national park" and the beaches are overrated as well!

Feb 16th, 2000, 02:25 AM
Karen

"Rustic?" In no way does that describe Caneel ... it is not the modern hi rize glitzy "luxurious" destination but in keeping with the Rockefeller legacy, natural surroundings abound. No maincured plantings, no fax or 'puter jacks, no phones and no tv's to jolt one to reality as it is an "escape" from the hussle and bussle of the world. It is about ambience and CLASS ... not glitz and modern conveniences. The decision to a/c the rooms, the pool, the Kids' Club and other "updates" will change Caneel forever but St. John is changing as is the population so Rosewood attempted to maintain the postives and enchance them. No room service, it would be impossible, no sorbet on the beach, no cool towels (which is kinda hokey anyway), no beach service on most of the beaches but privacy, seclusion and pristine natural surroundings makes Caneel what it is. Can't imagine what one would want in a room that would make it more "luxurious." It is not Hawaii, it is not another island nor another resort - it is Caneel and a wonderful luxurious destination if one chooses the USVI as a destination! The beaches are calm with white soft sand and crystal clear water lapping at the shore shared by a few. The restaurants require dining with a jacket during "season" (thank goodness there are still some places where you are not beseiged with hairy arm pits and bare feet while dining - not "eating," dining!) and collared shirts and slacks - no dirty t-shirts and sloppy shorts, please. Cover ups when not on the beach! (thank goodness!) If the shopping bug bites, hop over to Charolette Amailie fir a quick fix, take trips to the BVI (or take advantage of the trip to the sister resort, Little Dix Bay, on Virgin Gorda), or enjoy the pristine St. John although it is forever changed and becoming more popular. Caneel is about luxury. It is about ambience and attitude but mostly, it is about CLASS and lifestyle!

Feb 16th, 2000, 09:56 PM
Mike

How can Caneel be about "CLASS" when it quite clearly is NOT a classy resort by any stretch of the imagination?!?!!

Feb 17th, 2000, 05:22 AM
Lara

Mike:

Please leave a detailed report about your trip to Caneel. Your comments are not worthwhile unless we have some context.

Also, please be specific about which resorts in Hawaii you are using for the comparison. It's not fair to compare an 800-room megaresort to Caneel. Obviously, Caneel guests are not seeking that experience, although it may be preferable to you.

Thanks.

Feb 17th, 2000, 10:28 AM
Dave

Our room - second floor near the center,- was not opulent, but very comfortable and satisfactory.

But we loved the experience because it was elegant, not garish. The beaches were wonderful with excellent snorkling. The grounds were beautiful, and the island was interesting in itself.

My wife and I felt that this was the best of the many places in the Caribbean that we have been to.

Feb 17th, 2000, 05:31 PM
Karen

Don't get caught up with Mike's flaming ... he tried the same during the "live" open forum on the Caribb! Would bet you a trip to the Caribb that he has never stayed at Caneel much less trespassed on the grounds! And I can bet that IF he has been to Hawaii, it wasn't Mauna Kea Beach, The Lodge at Koele or the Mauna Loni Bay!!! (Now watch as he tries to lob one back - but let's call it "out" and ignore him!)LOL

Feb 17th, 2000, 10:11 PM
Mike

Karen, not only have I stayed at the Mauna Lani Bay Resort on the Big Island, but I have also stayed at the magnificent Manele Bay Resort on Lanai, but not the Lodge, as you stated. Others I have stayed at have been the Ritz-Carlton on Maui, the Mandarin Oriental on Oahu as well as the Grand Wailea and Four Seasons on Maui! And I can assure you that they are ALL quite SUPERIOR to that DUMPY little Caneel Bay!! I was at Caneel for 5 nights, although ONE would have been quite sufficient, I can assure you! The grounds were unimpressive, the room small and drab, the food not as wonderful as everyone makes it out to be, the beaches so-so (they're actually nicer in Bermuda, if truth be told!), the service not up to par, and the island itself a big NOTHING compared to gorgeous Hawaii!! In a word (or two): HIGHLY OVERRATED AND DISAPPOINTING!! Any other questions?

Feb 18th, 2000, 03:48 AM
Karen

Thank you so much for your clairification! It certainly helps when you include some of the "details" and validiates your opinion rather than putting terror in the hearts of those planning to go! Maybe you could share some comparisons to other Caribb destinations rather than the non-Caribb - that would be interestsing as well!

Search this Thread