Harbor Island to Spanish Wells ??

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harbor Island to Spanish Wells ??

Has anyone tried getting to Spanish Wells from Harbor Island ? I thought it would be simple to just take one of the "ferries" from HI to Spanish Wells - but the staff at the hotel where we will be staying said that there's an issue. They suggested hiring a local who runs a snorkling boat to take us for $375 - this sounds crazy !! Any thoughts on this ??
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM

That *is* crazy just for a ride. We rented a boat with driver for the day I don't have any notes from my trip with me so hopefully someone will chime in. DH remembers it being over $300 for an entire day but went to different beaches on Eleuthera and not just a ride to Spanish Wells.

What is the "issue"?
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM

I think you would have to go back to the mainland of Eleu to take the ferry to get to spanish wells (probably involves a cab ride as well). I think 375 is crazy. I would post the qns on the tripadvisor eleuthera forum which has many eleu regulars who will likely be able to help.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:16 PM

It has been quite a few years so factor that in- years ago after several trips to the Abacos and Exumas where we rented boats and had great day adventures snorkeling on our own, we visited HI and arranged ahead of time to rent a boat. It was a big disappointment- older and poorly cared for boat- then we found out that we had no significant territory in which to use it. When we asked about going to Spanish Wells (which looked very accessible on maps and charts) we were told we could not or should not do that due to dangerous reefs, etc. and that we would need an experienced driver to take us there. We paid a dive boat (through Romora Bay, I think, as that was where we were staying at the time) to take us there. We snorkeled some (Devil's backbone area??? not sure) and went to Spanish Wells, walked around, had lunch and returned thinking we had wasted a day and a lot of money- like I said, years ago and just my opinion. Now I am wiser- if it is hard to find a boat to rent and then it is in bad shape it should be a giant red flag that this is not a place to rent a boat!! Live and learn.
We spent a week in Eleuthera in 2008 and took a day trip to HI then- although we drove all over Eleuthera I never even considered going up to the ferry to SW. As others have said, it would be water taxi, cab or rental car, ferry, etc. and then it might be a disappointing experience. At that time, it was very different than HI- not at all geared to tourists but rather a place where real people lived and worked - I remember the water being so shallow on the beach side that you walked yards and yards out and were still knee deep. It is quiet, peaceful, low key but at the time it did not seem to have the quaintness or charm we found in places of similar size at that time (like Green Turtle Cay, Great Guana, Elbow, etc.).
Hope you have a great time- if I were to do it again I would skip SW- there is far too much to see and do on Eleuthera itself which is very lovely.
If you are a diver or snorkeler then you can check with valentine's to see what trips they offer that might include a visit to SW. have a nice trip!
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for getting back to me ! The info was of great help and since we are on a budget we will re-think the trip to Spanish Wells - plus I'd love to see Eleuthra !
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 11:40 AM

ishkribbl is right. In some areas a boat rental is simply silly expensive. We just returned from Hopetown and paid $500 a week!!! for a $50,000 Albury 23 with a 175 evinrudes. That is not a runaround its a boat that will near as damn it take a hurricane.

Campare that to the Exumas where a 15 foot Boston Whaler will set you back 3 times more. In many sea states the Whaler is a waste of time.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 05:32 PM

markrosy- don't want to hijack this thread but would love to hear more about your trip! Please post a trip report! Albury makes a good boat, I think- local and made for those waters. I will tell you that you would pay much more in May-August for that boat but you are so right- you get much more for your money in the Abacos than you do in the Exumas where there is a much smaller rental market and little competition- the competition in the Abacos keeps the boats newer, in good shape and a better buy.
I wonder sometimes if Boston whalers are chosen as rental boats because of their claim to be unsinkable- there are lots of folks out there who don't know much about what they are doing when they rent one! Anyway, post a report, please!
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 03:09 AM

Personally, if on a budget, use your money to explore Eleuthera. It would probably cost about $200-$300 to hire a taxi guide, but in a full day you could check out Window Bridge, some coral pools, and numerous beaches, such as: Rainbow Beach, Goulding Cay Beach, the beach at CocoDiMama, and the gorgeous Club Med Beach (aka French Leaving) you can also check out The Cove Resort and beach, and eat lunch at Tippy's, on another gorgeous beach, and check out James Cistern and Governor's Harbour. You'll still have 1/2 of Eleuthera to explore on another trip, but you're getting a lot more for your money.

Nothing against Spanish Wells, but what made you want to see it in the first place? It's basically a working island with no real beaches. I have nothing against it (not trying to sound negative about it) but as a tourist, you're much better off exploring the elusive beaches of Eleuthera for the money.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:54 AM

ishkribbl

managed one!

we had a great time. best ever in fact.

http://www.fodors.com/community/cari...the-abacos.cfm
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone ! I don't even think of planning a trip anymore without "Fodorites" help ! You guys always make our trip a pleasure ! and show us the "tricks" of traveling and keeping in budget ! Thanks again !