Search

Half Moon Bay / Ritz?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Nicole

Half Moon Bay / Ritz?

Hi,<BR><BR>My husband and I are looking for a romantic getaway that includes golf, nice beach, great service, food and ammenities. These are the two resorts we have narrowed it down to. <BR><BR>Can anyone help us decide between the two based on what we are looking for?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nicole

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Paul

Nicole... when are you going if I may?<BR>We've done HM and it was very nice. However......we're going for a quick getaway ourselves at the end of July and the Ritz beat HM hands down on price. I would have just as easily returned to HM but......not at 2 times the price ++.<BR>FYI....beach is nicer at HM and the grounds are much more sprawling. The rooms at the however RC have got to be glitzier however. Basicallly it's old school vs New Caribbean...take your choice, they'll both be nice.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Mike

We've never gone to HM but we did a not of research on it over the last month. It was actually in our top 3 choices for our 10th anniversary Aug 2 of this year. We actually call them direct serveral times and asked specific questions. From all of the info we received, we heard that it is very romantic. We ended up choosing Grand Lido Sans Souci instead. We are not party animals, but we would like a beach party or 2 where we can have a dance or 2 and experiece a little of the Jamaican culture. From speaking with some of the employees at HM, we would not get that. It is very large and the idea is for everyone there to be able to do their own thing. There is no night life (period). They said that every now and then they have a still band during dinner, but not much (if any) dancing. I also heard that if you go to HM it is much better to get the A/I because the meals are VERY expensive if you just book the rooms. I hope this helps.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Nicole

Thanks for the info, we are going in early October, yeah I know right in the height of hurricane season. But it's our anniversary and it's the last vacation before the baby arrives .<BR><BR>We too like a little nightlife, the fact that there is nothing kind of dissapoints me. We are beach, golf and food people though and definitely the old Caribbean as long as it is kept in good condition.<BR><BR>AArgh, I don't know, I want to book it soon as I heard there was a sale going on as well. Anyone have a good travel agency they can recommend?<BR><BR>We were thinking San Souci too, but it is such a hike from the airport, but they have that flight... but for 4 nights, we want easy.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Marla

We have stayed at Super Clubs Grand Lido Braco in Runaway Bay--it is only a 40 minute drive from Montego. Adults only ages 16+. Modeled after a Jamaican Village--very unique. The beach is very long and the facilities are wonderful. You can play golf also--good selection.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Mike

I understand what you mean by the long haul. We decided to take AirJamaica Express. They have a flight that leaves 2 hours after we arrive, 10:45 AM. We will be staying 5 nights and almost 6 full days. We arrive on a Friday and leaves at 4:45 PM the following Wed. so it's not 2 bad. I also understand about the baby. We have a 2 year old and 5 year old (both boys). We were married 4 years before the first one came so we got to travel a lot during that time. Now we try to take 1 nice trip a year without them and all of the rest with them.<BR>I heard a lot of nice things about http://www.honeymoontravel.com/. I actually contacted them and got some info. They are very knowledgeable about the Carribbean. I contacted them and got some good info. I did not book through them because I have a local agent here in Houston who I have been dealing with for a while. The webside actually also have some wonderful, colorful picture of Half Moon.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:06 AM
a Travel Professional

Of Half Moon or the Ritz, I would book the Ritz, Half Moon is just too big for my tastes and it is much more expensive than the Ritz.<BR>The 35% off sales is supposed to end Jun 26, but could be extended.<BR>I agree with the 2 that mentioned Grand Lido San Souci or Grand Lido Braco.<BR>San Souci is 2 hours from MBJ Airport, GL Braco about 45 minutes (it has a 9 hole golf course on property, and transfers and green fees are provided to an 18 hole course about 20 minutes away).<BR>.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Lu

We were at RC a week ago. Loved it. I have extensive comments about it on another post. You mentioned golf and the White Witch Course at the RC is the best in Jamaica. As far as nightlife, they have bands every night in each restaurant and the bar but no real partying. Went over to HM to shop. It looked nice although a bit on the large side for me. AT EITHER PLACE YOU MUST DO A.I. The food/drink prices are out of sight.