Reload this Page >

Half Moon Bay Resort - NEED OPINIONS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Bill

I am looking for feedback on the facilities at the Half Moon Bay Club. I am planning a trip there in early October and have read mixed reviews. ANy recommendations on what to do and/or avoid there?

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Jill

I'm leaving for HMB Thursday for 10 days - 4 days in a villa, 6 in a deluxe suite. I'll let you know when we get back!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Paul

My family and I were at HM for a few nights last April. We liked it very much. <BR> <BR>Very pretty grounds, nice pools and very nice pools are what come to mind at first. <BR> <BR>The beaches though long were not "fantastic" as the water was pretty rough when we were there. <BR> <BR>We like the fact that the property was so large, you almost felt like you were in a city unto itself. All without haveing to go anywhere if you did not want to. It is also close but not to close to Montego Bay which means less traveling and more beach time. <BR> <BR>The food was the only weak point. It was good but not great and yet very expensive. Take some snacks of your own if you can. Have fun!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Mare

Hi Jill! Have a GREAT vacation. Am looking forward to your trip report when you return. Mary

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Jill

Just returned from Half moon... <BR> <BR>We did like it, very much. Here are my brief thoughts - if you have specific questions, please email. <BR> <BR>Beautiful resort, works for families and non-families alike. Landscaping is incredible. Rooms are extremely spacious and there's pretty much not a bad location on the property. The food was OK, but if you didn't take a meal plan, it was OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive ($8 for a child's grilled cheese?!, $24 for a salad for lunch!)Lots and lots to do. Location is excellent - we were off the plane and in pool 5 hours after we left home. Staff is extremely friendly, especially to young children. My daughter, 10 months, was the belle of the ball. <BR> <BR>Ok, so all that being said, I am a picky traveler and, for the amount of money Half Moon charges, I expect better than "Jamaican Efficiency". Our room lock broke. A full hour after I called, a bell man came, stuck my card in the lock and said "you lock broke, mon". We didn't progress much further until about 11 the next morning. Food was OK. In the off-season, there are significantly less choices (one place to have lunch). Unless you take a plan, they charge for everything (little boat tours, floats, sailing etc). Airconditioning is not what you are used to here. Our unit grunted and groaned and even fell off the wall one night. <BR> <BR>The babysitting service was phenomenal. We had planned to use a sitter from about 6-10 each night, and my daughter was so crazy about her, that we ended up having her come often. At $4/hour, we felt that it really added to our ability to enjoy our vacation, and allowed my husband and I to go to lunch or play some golf when my daughter napped. Our sitter's name was Veronica and she's been with HM for 8 years. Again, email me with specific questions.