Search

Haiti Travel Safety

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haiti Travel Safety

I'm not one to get overly panicked about a travel warning but several countries have upped the security level for Haiti so simply out of an abundance of caution, should I be overly concerned about a first time visit? I was planning to fly into Port-Au-Prince, head to Les Cayes/Port Salut and then take the bus over to Santo Domingo. Any tips on getting around, staying safe, whether I should even go, and are there other sights close to PAP that should be on my list? I think La Citadelle might be a bit of a jaunt so I'll take a rain check on it. But apart from that is Haiti worth a trip?

Thanks
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know of people who work in Haiti. They stay in guarded enclaves and have armed guards drive them to and from work.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you take a bus between Haiti and the DR? I thought the border was closed off? Or perhaps just highly discouraged?

It's been a long time but the two times I visited the Dominican Republic when we looked into trying to go over to Haiti that was a no go at the time anyway.