Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Habana night show/music - what was your favourite?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi
i've been hearing different opinions - some said "fantastic"others said "too touristic" about music and night clubs...
does anybody know where can i see the BALLET schedule and where can i get tickets??
thanks
A
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:32 AM

We went to the Tropicana for dinner and the show a few years ago. The food was awful, really awful. But, that wasn't why we went.

The show was fun, dancers, acrobats, over the top costumes. Open air, historic. Touristy? Probably.

I was so thrilled just to be in Havana, the Tropicana was the 'icing on the cake'.

When the show started they brought a bottle of rum, some cans of cola and a big bucket of ice to the tables. It was great fun.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

JeanH - thanks

Any more recommendations?
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM

We were in town for the International Jazz Festival, so that's how we spent our evenings, other than the night at the Tropicana.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:13 AM

AfreakA:

We were fortunate enough to catch a perfomance by The Buena Vista Social Club in 2003, at the Nacional Hotel ($15 for ticket)...we eschewed the Tropicana as we had enough of these type shows in Rio and Santiago...in Havana, you're literally surrounded by music everywhere...we tended to go into smaller restaurants with not-so-brassy shows...La Meson de la Flota in Old Havana, and just up the street, La Taberna. The food at both places was quite good, and very inexpensive...impromptu parades and music combos seem to pop up, too...in the plaza across from the Taberna. We bumped into a classic musicians-on-stilts parade..very colorful with a good Cubano beat.

My wife purchased a ballet tic on the day of the show, at the Opera House (next to the Capitolino)..$10, and a thoroughly professional, colorful performance, she adds. I opted to take in a baseball game ($2) at the pro stadium...some experience!

Enjoy Havana and wherever else you go in Cuba...hope you're going in legally (see my explanatory post in the thread "Americans Traveling Solo into Cuba")

Stu Tower
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM

Once a week.....I think it's Tuesdays.....members of the Buena Vista Social Club appear at the nightclub adjacent to the Nacional. That was the musical highlight for us, though we did also enjoy Tropicana.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Leigh

We went to the Nacional performance the day after one of the members passed away...very emotional concert as they paid tribute to their fallen friend...not a dry eye in the room.
stu