Guadeloupe & St. Maarten

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:36 PM
brooks

Guadeloupe & St. Maarten

We are going to Club Meb in Guadelopue and then to Maho resort on St. Maarten.

I've heard too much about the crime on SXM to feel comfortable tell me it isn't so.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Statia

Yes, there is crime on SXM just as there is crime virtually everywhere else in the world these days. You just have to be careful as you would in any other major city. I go to SXM monthly and have never had a problem.

Lock your door, don't leave valuables in your car, and stay out of the "iffy" areas at night. Also, don't pull over at night for anyone. Just use the same common sense you would anywhere else.

Have fun!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Lynette

Never pull over for anyone in the day time also in a deserted area! Just use common sense.
Maho is by a busy area and the airport, don't miss Sherie's Cafe across the street at night for drinks and light meals. We stayed on the french side twice so I don't know what else goes on at night on the dutch side.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Lynette

Just saw a posting here about Maho that didn't seem too flattering--you might check out alternates such as L'Hoste at Orient Bay which is on a beautiful beach-- or any other suggestions.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Statia

I, too, have always preferred the French side over the Dutch...at least for accomodations. There also seems to be a bit less crime on the French side.