Notices

Grenada-What to Do/Calabash Hotel

Aug 4th, 1998, 08:09 AM
Sara Juntilla

Grenada-What to Do/Calabash Hotel

We are going to Grenada in the beginning of September for our Honeymoon and are staying at the Calabash hotel. Has anyone stayed there? How is it? Also, what are some not to be missed activities, restaurants,and sights in Grenada. We want any info!!
Thanks

Aug 4th, 1998, 03:23 PM
Bob

Things to do in grenada do not include much in the way of nightlife: no clubbing or bar hopping here; however, in the daytime, don't miss the waterfalls(there are two good ones), the rain forest and volcanic lakes, Carib's leap, Luvera Natl Park. There are spice mill factories and one rum distillery, along with St George's and a fishing village or two. Have lunch at some local place and ask for conversation, the locals are friendly and helpful. Stroll Grand Anse Beach, preferably on a day not crowded with cruise boaters, who then attract a multitude of vendors. grenada is a place to inhale and savor; its beauty lies in its contrast and colors. Enjoy!

Aug 6th, 1998, 11:15 AM
Marie Priester

I have been to St. John in the Virgin Island several times and enjoyed the laid-back, relaxing atmosphere. Driving (via jeep) around the island to different coves for snorkeling, beaching, and just plain sightseeing. Have no comparison to Grenada; from your experience, is it similar? Nightlife is not the issue. What part of the island do you recommend staying? Any suggestions for moderately-priced hotels, inns or B&B's? All recommendations are welcome! thanks.

Aug 6th, 1998, 02:07 PM
R. Bailey

Grenada is much larger than St. John, and less well-off. Less US in atmosphere. All of the tourist development is in the south, especially around Grande Anse. You will find some beach vendors here but I haven't seen any really aggressive. People generally are very friendly and willing to interact. There are a number of beach-front hotels, another set a little off the beach (5 min walk) that are correspondingly less expensive (we like Blue Horizons) and a selection of others a little more away from things - some quite upscale. True Blue Inn was a nice inexpensive place 3 or 4 years ago. You certainly should have a jeep and drive around - roads can be a little challenging. You will have to go much further than on St. John to see much of the island; there are many beaches with no one on them and a lot more points of interest. You cannot "do" Grenada in a day. A good choice of very decent restaurants, some with excellent local food. Try sea moss if you get a chance.

Aug 7th, 1998, 05:25 AM
Brian H

I have been to Grenada in each of the last 4 years, most recently this past March. Each time, I stayed at the Flamboyant Hotel. The only drawback of the hotel is that it sits on top of a hill overlooking Grand Anse beach--after a long day, climbing those stairs can be a pain. On the other hand, each room has a balcony with a great view of Grand Anse Bay, St. Georges, and the mountains of the interior. The hotel is basic, but neat and clean, with helpful and friendly staff. Since eating out can get rather expensive, I prefer to stay in one of the hotel's one-bedroom apartments with a kitchenette. There is a grocery store about a half mile down the road.

As for activities, I rent a car and head to the rain forest for hiking or to the beaches on the north and east coasts. Driving in Grenada can really test your nerves, since the roads are narrow, winding and often pot-holed. In addition, driving is on the left. Driving in St. Georges is an experience in itself. If you prefer not to drive, there are a few good touring companies on the island. My first year in Grenada, I didn't rent a car, but rather went on a few tours with Arnold's Tours. They offer hiking trips in the rain forest, and round-the-island tours. They promptly pick you up at your hotel and return you at the end of the trip. I went on one of each and really enjoyed them.

Search this Thread