Grenada vendors too pushy??

Mar 7th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Island Girl

Grenada vendors too pushy??

I am interested in going to Grenada but I have spoken to more than one person who complained about the pushiness of the vendors. Now I understand that there are vendors on all islands and if you are not interested a polite "No thank you" is usually enough, but is this really a problem in Grenada, are there places that you can avoid a string of vendors?

Mar 7th, 2002, 09:33 AM
R. Bailey

It has been a couple of years, but my experienced is that the vendors on Grenada are quite reasonable as long as you are polite to them. They are a litle more agressive with those they identify as cruise ship pasengers, but quite friendly if they recognize you as a stay-over visitor.

Mar 7th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Brian

They can be fairly pushy, but it is not a problem unless you are easily intimidated. On Grand Anse beach they setup a vendors market at the midpoint that has cut down on the numbers, but some still walk the beach and in town. I enjoyed interacting with some of them and I found most Grenadians to be friendly and interesting. Some tourists just carry small amounts of currency with them and automatically purchase a few little things from them for little more than a small tip you'd pay to a baggage handler, etc. Grenada is extremely poor due to the lack of tourism in the last decade due to the political stuff, so many of the vendors there really need the money. Some carry baskets of different spices (Grenada is the Spice Island) which are interesting.

Mar 7th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Brian

I've been to Grenada several times, the last time about a year ago, and have never found the vendors to be pushy. You will probably be approached a few times, but a polite "no" will do. If you don't want to be bothered, your best bet would be to stay away from groups of cruise ship passengers. The worst I've seen it was several years ago when walking down Grand Anse Beach, past a large group of cruise ship passengers who had just been dropped off from a boat onto the beach.

Mar 7th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Meg

We stayed on Grande Anse beach and were approached about 10X/day, even at Spice Beach Resort with its full time guards. But I wouldn't call them pushy. There was a steady stream of characters such as loofa man and the one man factory.

Mar 8th, 2002, 04:19 AM
joan

Once the vendors recognize you (and they will recognize you) they'll leave you alone after a daily greeting. We stayed on Grand Anse for a week with our daughters (kids really break the ice I've noticed) and brought along one of those beach paddle ball games. We shared it with the locals. That warmed things up quite a bit! By the end of the week, they were making my daughters little palm frond characters, we were holding their babies, and my girls learned to waterski from "Wally". They're just people. Learn some of their names and they won't be vendors anymore. And the others will leave you alone.

P.S. Are the wild dogs still all over Grand Anse Beach? They were a little intimidating.

Mar 10th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Brian

I wouldn't say the dogs are all over the beach, but I did see some of them last year. They usually travel in groups of 2 or 3. One of them always seems to be the dominant one, and the others are submissive to it. Sometimes another dog would approach the group and there would be a brief scuffle. They seem to mind their own business and don't bother anyone.

Search this Thread