green vs. dry

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Barry

green vs. dry

I've just been given a week timeshare at a caribbean island of my choice through rci. My wife, 3 teens and I prefer hawaii like green vegetation over dry arid settings. Also, the kids really enjoy body surfing so an island that has good waves is a plus. Would appreciate any suggestions.<BR>Thanks, Barry

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 11:19 AM
mary

I haven't been to Hawaii but I have been to St. Lucia twice. I've heard that St. Lucia, while not at all Hawaii, is the closest match. Tons of green vegetation, not arid at all, and the pitons (two small "mountains" jetting out from the sea). There are a couple of resorts on the east coast (albeit not many) where there is surf / waves. The west coat is more calm. Don't think you could do much body surfing there. The kids might get bored on the east and in the south (the most lush) since this part of the island is quite desolate. (Most tourists prefer calm water in the Caribbean which is why you'll find more resorts here).<BR><BR>Haven't been there but I hear Babados is quite lush as well and also has a side for surfing, perhaps with more resorts to choose from as well.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 04:08 AM
Paul

The "green/lush" category includes islands like St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Dominica. These islands have rainforests and are lush & beautiful but generally don't match the beaches (in Dominica's case, forget about beaches, period)of drier islands like Anguilla, Aruba, St. Martin. However, one of the most beautiful beach areas on Martinique, Le Diamant, has a fairly good surf and might be well-suited to body surfung.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Laura

St.Lucia is NOT NOT NOT like Hawaii

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Penney

Good waves would be east and couthern coast of bArbados but not very lush.<BR><BR>St. Lucia is a very lush and beautifiul country (outside of the city!) but no waves. ark sand also throws alot of people!