Search

Great Deal!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Becca

Great Deal!

My husband and I took our honeymoon in August, 2000 to Caneel Bay on St. John. Ever since, we have wanted to go back, but we can't afford Caneel Bay's prices right now. Last night we went to priceline.com, and we were able to priceline the Westin St. John, 7 nights in September, 2002, for $70/night -- $530 for the whole week! The whole week's rate is cheaper than one night at Caneel Bay. Though I realize the Westin may be a slight disappointment after staying at Caneel Bay, at least this gets us back to St. John!

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Karen

One thing for future reference is that Caneel Bay has recently been on www.luxurylink.com and has been successfully bid for very reasonable prices. I know you are committed now to the Westin now and it's not helpful to you and that price would be hard to beat tho! Go, enjoy! It is a wonderful island and the advantage of Priceline is that since Caneel is the only other resort on the island, you know exactly what you will be getting! That's a good thing!

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 10:15 AM
jpa

Thanks for the Great Priceline SPAM.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Becca

jpa, what is that supposed to mean? I have never posted this comment before. I am aware that other people have mentioned the deals they have gotten on priceline.com, but I thought this would be helpful to other people thinking about trying this. I don't appreciate your rude remark.<BR>Karen, thanks for the info. My husband and I have been watching luxury link for a few months also. We have seen the auctions and best buys come up for Caneel Bay, Little Dix Bay, etc., but we thought the prices were still too high. For example, right now there is a best buy deal for Caneel Bay but it is $2250 for six nights rather than seven without any food. We figured we could make out a lot cheaper with the Westin by using priceline.com.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 12:19 PM
jpa

I am sorry. Their are many posts on these boards that are oviously posted by priceline, hotel reps, condo owners, island tourist board employees.<BR>I just looked like one of those.<BR>That is a Fantastic Rate for the Westin St John. You will have a wonderful time.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 12:30 PM
sam

Good point. Tons of posers here pushing their particular island or villa, etc. This post could be spam for Caneel or Priceline. But it could also be good info. There is also tons of great info here, so don't take it as gospel. Same goes for CNN, FoxNews, etc.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Bean

Great price, but don't forget you are getting in to the hurricane season!<BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Becca

I can understand why some people might think my info. about priceline was just a spam posting, but I was just trying to share my excitement in getting such a great rate. Unfortunately, the only time my husband and I have to travel next year is during hurricane season. Thanks for the warning, though. Our honeymoon was spent at Caneel in August, 2000, and on the second day of our honeymoon we had to leave St. John due to Hurricane Debbie. Thankfully we got to go back later in the week, and the weather was wonderful. Surely we can't have the same bad luck twice!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Tim

Becca-<BR>We have the same rate there (also thru priceline) for a week this May so I understand and share your enthusiasm.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Becca

Tim, I know. One of your earlier postings gave me the idea to try such a low rate on priceline. Thanks for the idea, and have a great time!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Kac

Golly gee Becca and Tim!!!!! We sure do like priceline. Nice set-up Becca.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 11:15 AM
jason

becca, did you choose "resort" on priceline, or did you choose like "4star"??? my wife and I are interested in going back to the caribbean to maybe st john or st thomas. <BR>Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 12:24 PM
susan

It looks like the slowdown is really creating some great deals. I just got a flyer in the mail from Liberty Travel with a deal for 7nts at Westin StJohn for US$685.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Tim

Glad I helped, Becca.<BR><BR>Kac, jealous much?<BR><BR>Actually, I don't know if priceline would like this sort of advertising since they lost almost $20 on the deal. If you know how to find the $5/night bonus money link and educate yourself on what rooms sell for, you can quickly overcome the $5.95 processing fee and get rooms for less than priceline owes the hotel.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Paul

There's no arguing that that is an awesome price, if correct. But remember why they are offering it - you will be smack dab in the middle of hurricane season. Even if there is no such bad luck as a big storm, it is for the same reason likely to be the rainiest time of the year.