Grand Lido Negril

Old Nov 24th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Grand Lido Negril

I've read conflicting opinions of this resort -- it's touted as a AAA 4-diamond property, but the reports haven't necessarily reflected this.

Can someone please give me the scoop on Grand Lido Negril. Most importantly, how are the grounds, SPECIFICALLY the beach. The food? The crowd --- my girlfriend and I are in our 20s (and like to keep our clothes on!)

I've been to Club Med Turkoise -- which has a beautiful beach -- I know Club Med's rooms and food are okay; but you dont' go for the rooms and food necessarily.

Any assistance would be appreciated!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 07:04 PM

It is more of a couples (and maybe even older couples) place than for 20 something single women. If you want an excellent place at about half the price, with the same extraordinary beach that won't be shoulder to shoulder people, look at the Charela Inn. Get their meal package because they have the best food on the beach, and an incredible menu. The staff has been there for years and can make all kinds of recommendations for things you will want to do (like head up the beach for live reggae at Alfred's Ocean Palace, take a cab up to the cliffs for concerts by name entertainers, etc.) A MUCH better value and way more fun that getting stuck at a honeymooner/anniversary AI type place. You can walk for miles up and down the beach and check out the AIs and laugh as you realize how great you have it a Charela, in comparison.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 09:02 PM

Grand Lido is definitely a couples place. Most guests are middle-aged, though if you go in the off-season, you will get a lot of honeymooners (ie, people in their 20's). It is a great beach--long, sparsely populated, clean. I thought Lido's lunch buffets were excellent, and the other meals OK (I'm 33 yr. old perfectionist who is used to top food) The rooms and food are definitely more upscale than Turkoise's. I agree with uhoh_busted that it not worth the price (I paid $720/night). Also, it is the only resort I would not go back to--3 waiters will offer to pour water for you within 2 minutes of your sitting down at dinner, but four people including two managers were incapable of addressing a reservation error, and too cowardly to put what they were telling me in writing. Then again what do you expect from AAA 4-diamond, for $720 per day!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Hello

I am curious about this Charela Inn. Is there a website or phone number or anything. Thanks
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 02:26 PM

http://www.charela.com/
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 02:28 PM

...and some reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...l_Jamaica.html
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:31 PM

Charela is a nice place to stay but I would not do the meal plan. We had dinner there in April and were disappointed when compared to other places along the beach that were cheaper. A lot of heavy pasta dishes on the menu. Don't miss out on all the wonderful food in Negril. You can stroll down or up the beach to so many places. It makes sense to do breakfast at the resort but explore otherwise.