Search

Grand Cayman vs Aruba

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman vs Aruba

Hi,
We've narrowed it down to Grand Cayman or Aruba for our family vacation in June or July of 2012. We know the beaches are comparable and snorkeling is better in Grand Cayman. So our main concern now is the weather. Do the trade winds in Aruba cancel out the heat/humidity? Does Grand Cayman have trade winds? Are they as strong? Do they help cancel out the heat/humidity?

Thanks
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Cancel heat/humidity? This is the Caribbean. It is hot and humid all year long, especially in June and July!! Aruba has trade winds from South America and is windier than Grand Cayman, but nothing cancels the heat and humidity.

Peace, Greenie
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 03:07 PM

It's going to be very hot in the islands, no matter which one you pick. But Aruba may offer you a chance at better weather. Grand Cayman can be wonderful in June/July, but it can also have plenty of days with rain or clouds.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 05:40 PM

I was in grand cayman around July 4th. There was one full day of rain and the other six had little rain. It was hot,but no hotter than most of the US this summer. Somehow, when you are on the beach and when you are snorkeling, the hot weather is not bothersome.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM

I've been to Aruba 3 times. Each time we've had beautiful weather. It's a dry desert like island due to the lack of rain. It's definitely hot but I love the breeze that is always blowing. I guess there is humidity but I've never really felt that. The shade is always a nice place to be. : ) I've been there once in April, August and October.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM

We spent a week in each place this month (July) and while I absolutely love both locations and visit them both frequently, there are many differences.
In regards to weather I did not have much rain other than a very brief shower in either location. We like the wind in Aruba as it makes it nicer to walk around during the day while shopping etc, however the wind was so strong we were literally sand blasted on the beach. At times the winds were so strong we could not stand the sting of the sand and opted to return to the pool. Even at the pool the wind was often a nuisance. It was not uncommon to see chairs, towels, drinks and other personal belongings flying around the pool. My husband, who is not a huge fan of the heat and enjoys a nice breeze, was often very frustrated by the flying debris. On the other hand I will say there is nothing better than sitting on the docks at night enjoying a cocktail and that fabulous breeze. With that being said, Aruba is a fabulous location. Just take some goggles and a helmet and all will be well. 
Grand Cayman is definitely my top pick for snorkeling between the two. The water is much clearer in Grand Cayman and much easier to swim in. We snorkeled in several locations in Aruba and had a difficult time with the current and the waves caused by the winds. Several people mentioned they had a hard time swimming in some areas due to these conditions. If you stay close to the beach it is not as rough but if you go to any of the snorkeling sights by boat there is a definite difference.
Again, both locations are great, but since you asked about weather those are my two cents based on July travel to each. Good luck!
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 11:20 PM

I was just in Aruba in April. I went with the understanding that I was literally going to be blown away. I didn't find that to be reality. The air is constantly moving, but it certainly wasn't as strong as expected. I don't think it negatively impacted the trip at all. I went on a snorkeling trip, and there was a current. It truly was tiring. I can't imagine a kid being able to keep up. The swimming out at Baby Beach was easy, but the good snorkeling spots were in an area with a stronger current.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Summer in the Caribbean is pretty temperate. 80s and sometimes 90s. It was a heck of a lot hotter in th mid-atlantic this year (100s) than it was in the Caribbean. We went to Cayman in late june/early July one year and it was very breezy (amlost aruba-like). I didn't find it to be overly hot. Temperatures were delightful in December. We have also been to Aruba in May and September. Again, warm and humid but no more so that being at home.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Travelcrazy, "chairs...flying around the pool" in Aruba? Were you in Aruba during a tornado or hurricane? We have been to Aruba several times. While it is breezy, somedays breezier than others, we have never seen "chair, towels, drinks flying around the pool".!!!! That must have been awful.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 01:49 AM

Hyatt in Aruba my fav during storm season...

out of the storm belt great beach at Palm/Eagle

Cayman nice in winter for me