Search

Grand Cayman or Aruba

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman or Aruba

Hi, This is my first time posting here. I have to chose between Grand Cayman and Aruba for a four night stay in January and I don't know which to choose. I've been reading all of the posts and feel a little overwhelmed. Our main reason for going is to get some sun and heat in the middle of a midwestern winter.

Most important to my husband is a good beach that isn't crowded. I like things to do like shopping and spas. Price range per night up to 300$, I like a really nice place to stay with all of the modern amenities. I like resort type places but would be interested in off the beaten track places that are upscale.

Any help/websites for hotels would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:37 PM

Hi, I've been to Aruba twice (most recently July 2003) and we absolutely love it. It is a very safe island and they have breath taking beaches. The island is very small so if you choose you can rent a car and tour the island one day. They are also known for their fabulous restaurants. We don't snorkel or dive, but we've been told both are great there. If you have any specific questions please feel free to email me at [email protected].
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:50 PM

Aruba's beaches are crowded. I didn't like the island because of it's Miami Beach feel - hotel upon hotel and LOTS of bodies - and this was in October. We dive and snorkel and both were mediocre at best. I'd recommend St; John for uncrowded beaches. Grand Cayman is lovely - but 7 mile beach can be busy too.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:25 PM

We just spent a week in Aruba last April. Of the four Caribbean destinations we have visited Aruba was the best. We stayed at the Amsterdam Manor which is a smaller resort down towards the north end of the developed beach. We found the weather great, the beach the best we have seen, the people were lovely and the snorkeling was wonderful. I think we were there one week later than most of the spring breakers but we were told the island resorts were still running about 80% full. At that time the beach was not crowded at all, there was plenty of room. I would highly recomend (and already have to two friends) Aruba.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 11:38 PM

Since you have only 4 days, you might want to consider travel time.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 03:19 AM

Clevflor -

Definitely ARUBA!!

Aruba has a few upscale resorts - Hyatt, Radisson, and the Marriott.

Also, they have great spas and shopping as well.

The beaches are MUCH larger than Grand Cayman islands and are not crowded.

I have not gone to Grand Cayman, although my husband and I have gone to Aruba 3 X. My sister in law however went to both and she said Aruba hands down.

From the pictures she took, the beaches in Grand Cayman are much smaller (in terms of space in from of the resort).

The Hyatt should definitely fit your needs.

Let us know what you decide upon!

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 04:50 AM

I would vote for Aruba as well. The locals are very friendly and dining out in GC is alot more expensive. If a quiet beach is all you want consider Aruba's sister island Curacao!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses they really helped. I'll let you know where we decide to stay on Aruba! I will look up the couple places that have been mentioned so far. I have noticed that Aruba is a lot cheaper than GC so that is a big plus.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Stay at the Radisson!!!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 11:06 AM

For a four night stay, definitely consider travel time, Cayman is much closer to the midwest than Aruba..plus Cayman Airways is starting non-stop service from Chicago in December.

If you want an uncrowded beach, trying to be objective I would recommend my own beach at The Reef...with only 88 suites on a beach that is 1450 feet long that meets any definition of uncrowded
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:30 PM

Tom is right - the Reef is gorgeous - got RAVE reviews from my Dive shop for a recent trip. GREAT uncrowded beach. Now if I could only get an exchange there......
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:12 AM

Grand Cayman is on our to do list but we love Aruba. Possibly because it was our first trip to the Caribbean and nothing else has compared. If money is not an issue and you want more privacy. I'd recommend St. John. It's a smaller island than Aruba not much nightlife but the snorkeling and beaches are awesome. The Westin's the place to stay. In Aruba we rented a car for two days used the bus for the other five days and had a blast. Carlos and Charlies was always fun in the evenings. Shopping is great also. We love Aruba and highly recommend it.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:21 PM
CJC

Having been to both places, I vote for Aruba. We stayed at the Hyatt on Grand Caymen, and I don't feel the beaches can compare to Aruba's. We most recently (June) stayed at The Marriott on Aruba. It's got a great beach and at the end of the high rise strip so less crowded than some of the others. I was eaten alive by some nasty bugs in Caymen the night we ate outside. No bugs in Aruba! Snorkeling at Sting Ray City is a Caymen must, but snorkeling in Aruba is very good, too. You may have trouble getting reservations to Aruba in January if you need to make them on your own. It's a busy time of year. The Hyatt is probably the top hotel, but I prefer the location of Marriott. One thing about Aruba is that you can pretty much be assured of sun and hot weather! Shopping is OK, and I have never used a spa there. It's relaxing enough for me just to sit on the beach in the sun with a tropical drink.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:44 AM

CJC : The Hyatt in Cayman is nice....but it is at a very different part of the island to The Reef and the other properties in the North Coast area.

For visitors who really want to simply relax on the beach in an undeveloped area, then the North Coast of Grand Cayman is for you.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 07:15 AM

I've been to both and loved both but here are my thoughts.

We stayed at the Hyatt on Aruba and it was nice, but I'd consider the Marriott next time. Hyatt was crowded and the pool was like a daycare center crawling w/kids. You had to get to beach early to get a good spot. Snorkeling and sightseeing on Aruba was fair at best. Loved the weather - very hot but you hardly notice because of the trade winds. Wonderful food on Aruba - some really good restaurants and reasonably priced.

Stayed at Westin Casuarina on Grand Cayman - great resort. Wonderful beach & pool area & 2 very relaxing hot tubs. Good snorkeling and better island to explore - drove to Rum Point for a day ourself and loved it. Good food but everything is so expensive.

Have a great time and let us know how it goes!