Search

PR vs. St. Thomas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 12:29 PM
Veronica

PR vs. St. Thomas

Hi, <BR>I am trying to persuade my husband that he and I can budget a trip to <BR>the Carribean next Feb. from Chicago. We made a thrilling visit to Cancun and Cozumel <BR>last year at luxurious resorts so I'm thinking that this year we will maybe go again to see Puerto Rico, more affordably, and then somehow visit St. Thomas and St. John. So I wonder if I would find it less expensive to fly to PR and boat to the nearby islands or fly to St. Thomas. Then, I'd like to have information to enable us to stay cheaply in Puerto Rico, and I've recently heard of the paradors. We don't like real secluded areas. We prefer somewhere we can easily get into a city for nightlife and back to hotel safely. If you know of these, would you give me some hints about accomodation and transportation. I <BR>would appreciate it very much. <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 06:36 PM
Jim

You can find a lot of info on the Carib at http://www.herehugo.com <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! <BR>Jim;HereHuGo.com <BR>The travel Search Engine <BR>http://www.herehugo.com <BR>

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 05:48 PM
Karen

Unfortunately there are few budget options in high season. I have found that a great travel agent is most helpful when culling out the bargains that often include airfare. You can day trip to the USVI via plane from PR but I suspect you might be able to find some "last minute deals" on St. Thomas. However, given the numbers of people that will be searching due to Lenny, that remains to be seen! Driving to cities to party on PR ... remember all signs are in Spanish, the Islanders do not believe in Red Lites and do believe in horns and driving there reminded me of NYC, Boston and Washington DC combined!

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 07:52 PM
Noah

Frommers.com tells you about a lot of deals. Subscribe to their daily newsletter.

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 10:53 AM
Joe

Veronica, it's relatively easy to do both. First call P.R. Tourism Office in Chicago and ask them to mail you their island package. There you'll find many inexpensive places to stay. You'll also get all necessary info about going to St. Thomas for a day or two. It's only 50 miles away. There are also the offshore islands of Puerto Rico which have glorious beaches and little inns. They are located between P.R. and St. Thomas. Daily flights can connect you with all of these islands. It's a picturesque trip. By the way the islands are Culebra and Vieques.

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 08:37 AM
Stewart

TA in your area will probably sugest American Airlines to fly to St. Thomas. They will cahrge you over 100 dollars if not more. Howvere once you get there, just look thru the local yellowpages or a local TA. There are a good number of small companies which fly this route for a lot less. The Paradors are all in secluded places in the mountains and the interior. Except for Boqueron which is a quaint and lively village. A nice place to stay is Hotel in Convento (operated by Whyndam) in the center of Old San Juan. The Marriot is in El Condado area, close to many good restaurants; you can probably get a good package. Embassy suites is new but is at theother end of the strip, near the airport. <BR> <BR>Resort similar to the ones in Cancun are Dorado Beach (Hyatt), Cerromar (Hyatt), el Conquistador (Wyndham), Palmas del Mar. All great, expensive but out of town and not all inclusive. <BR> <BR>Finally, St Thomas is outrageously expensive and might be better exploring PR only.

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 10:12 AM
Karen

Don't agree that St. Thomas is "outrageously expensive." There are moderately priced properties on St. Thomas and often there are "packages" or "specials" that makes it even more affordable.