Search

PR other than San Juan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PR other than San Juan

I've been to San Juan on business (and stayed a few extra days to see the sights) so I would like to visit another area of Puerto Rico. I enjoy outdoor activities so the rainforest sounds really interesting. But in terms of lodging, I would like an affordable hotel on the beach. Any suggestions? What is the rest of the island like? Are there a lot of dining options outside of San Juan or must you rely on your hotel/resort? Is it necessary to rent a car? Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM

I like Rincon, a little surfing town on the West side of the island. Many restaurant options & a very nice laid-back vibe. Try www.rinconpr.com. I posted a trip report on here last year as well. I'll top it for you.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:22 PM
ccc

Vieques. Vieques. Vieques. Gorgeous beaches, wild horses, the world famous biobay, good restaurants, and not a stoplight on the island. Keep in mind, though, that it's not for everybody. If you are looking for nightlife, it's definitely not for you.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM

Boqueron is a glorious little village on the west coast of PR. . .it is far from San juan, though, more than 2 hour's drive. Also Guanica, along the south coast west of Ponce. .
The rainforest is fabulous, especially the lesser-known south side of El Yunque, up the mountain from the town of Naguabo. There are a couple of nice places in the clouds like Casa Cubuy and Casa Flamboyant (I think) . . . there are trails leading to giant waterfalls and taino indian cave drawings.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM

You probably want to rent a car. Rincon is a nice area with lots of affordable hotels and great beaches! Close by you can go caving at Rio Camuy, one of the largest underground cave systems in the world and visit Arecibo (the huge telescope featured in the movie Golden Eye and Contact). There's lots of great dining options too. If you have more time, Vieques Island is wonderful...a step back in time, what the Caribbean was like decades ago. BioBay there (and also on Puerto Rico's south shore) offers bioluminescent kayak tours that are absolutely incredible. Check out Puerto-Rico-Guide.com for lots of information and low rates on hotels.