Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

PR ok in Dec? Which better ... Culebra or Guanica beaches?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Melanie

I'm considering a honeymoon in Puerto Rico the second week of December. What are our hurricane chances? Also, have heard that beaches of Culebra & Guanica are the best. Accommodation recs welcome, no chain hotels please. Thank you!

Old May 9th, 2001, 05:14 PM
d.embody

We were told by a friend of ours to head down to Gunica--we were glad we did. Beautiful beaches and area. Two suggestions for lodging: Mary lee's by the Sea (try the Encanto unit) and also Copamarina. I'm sorry I dont have the number for either one. Have a great honeymoon and congradulations. <BR>P.S. If you get the chance, try to visit Old San Juan and El Yunque,the rainforest. Worth the drive.

Old May 10th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Adrienne

Melanie, <BR> I agree that Guanica would probably be better for a honeymoon. There are beautiful beaches on Culebra, but accomodations are limited there (especially the type you would want for a honeymoon). However, you could rent a villa for a week. <BR> One word of caution about Guanica. I just read on www.usatoday.com that the Governor has declared a state of emergecny for that area of PR due to flooding. There appears to be extensive damage. While December is months away, there may still be damage in the area. <BR> Have you considered Vieques? There are some great hotels there such as Inn on the Blue Horizon. Beautiful beaches and the bioluminescent bay. <BR> You could also look into Horned Dorset Primavera in Rincon. Very romantic, but also very expensive. I do not know what your budget is. <BR> The western area of PR is great, and if you rent a car you can easily (provided the roads are ok then)visit many great attractions and beaches. <BR> Lastly, I also suggest visiting Old San Juan and El Yunque. Culebra could also be a day trip. <BR> Check out the following webpages: <BR>-www.travelandsports.com (accommodations info for the aforementioned hotels). <BR>-www.culebra.org <BR>-www.culebra-island.com <BR>-www.culebraislandrealty.com (villa rentals) <BR>-www.islavieques.com/viequesal.html <BR>-www.enchantedisle.com/enchanted/fyi.htm <BR>-http://escape.topuertorico.com/ <BR>-http://welcome.topuertorico.org/ <BR>-www.prtourism.com <BR> <BR>Feel free to email me with any questions. <BR> <BR>

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Ileana

Puerto Rico is a great place for a honey moon. But the greatest area to stay is on San Juan, where you can find hotels for every budget. We have Hilton, Condado Plaza, Westin, Hampton, Embassy suites, San Juan Intercontinental. If you have a lot of money, you can go to Ritz Carlton on Isla Verde or go to the East and go Fajardo , to the Westin El conquistador, is a 5 star where important people like michael jordan , Mariah Carey choose to stay when coming down here. So any questions contact me!

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Ileana

Dear, P.R is a great place for honeymoon, and dont mind about huracaines cause they just come by during the huracaine season of june thru november. Great places on San jUan to stay! From Hilton, Intercontinental, Ritz Carlton, Hampton Inn and others to WEstin El conquistador where the stars like michael jordan , mariah carey and madonna have stayed with a great view and great cristal clear beaches!! any question email!

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Melanie! Here are my thoughts. Feel free to ask additional questions. <BR> <BR>1) Hurricanes in December are unheard of in Puerto Rico - the hurricane season oficially ends Nov 30, and even in November they are unlikely. <BR> <BR>2) While Culebra is absolutely gorgeous, the accomodations there tend to be more motel-style rustic. I think for a honeymoon you may want something more upscale. <BR> <BR>3) I happen to love the beaches in Guanica, because I like small, calm, white-sand beaches, and I like the slower pace of life of Guanica (away from the busy San Juan). Guanica also has 2 offshore mangrove keys called Guilligan's and Ballena which are adorable - white sand, clear water, very shallow, etc. However, not everyone likes this type of beach. My in-laws liked the beaches in San Juan much better, because they have waves and they could body-surf. The beaches in San Juan are also long beaches - you can take a long walk. My in-laws spend the summers in a house on a lake in the US, and really wanted to "play in the surf" and take long walks. They also complained that they could not take long walks in the small sand coves of Guanica. We stayed at the Copamarina, which is a lovely small resort, with a very narrow, calm, shallow white sand beach. It is easy to get to Guilligan's and Ballena from the Copamarina, as well as the Guanica public beach. The landcaping was pretty, the rooms were nice, the pools/hot tubs were very nice and not crowded, and the food was very good. To leave the resort, you will probably need to rent a car - there's not much within walking distance. I hope this information helps in making your decision.