Reload this Page >

Good Bahama Fishing Charter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Tony O

I am looking for a highly recommended charter/operator for Bonefishing and Deep Sea fishing in the Nassau area. Looking for reasonable prices, good captain with a sense of humor! Any suggestions?

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 05:53 AM
tweedy

Tony, I would doubt that you will find bone fishing on Nassau, I can't think of anywhere on the island where there are flats, but you will find that on some of the outislands, like Eleuthera and the Abacos.<BR><BR>There are several good charter operators out of Nassau, and you can check with your hotel for suggestions or try the www.bahamas.com board and ask that question in the travel forum there. Steve and Danny regulars on that board should be able to steer you in toward a few names.<BR><BR>Have a great time on Nassau.<BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 02:27 PM
Danny

Hi Tweedy.<BR><BR>Tony,<BR> Steve is the guy to help you. The closest I get to fishing is looking at them in a pond on a golf course or in aquariums. Janice, who lives on GBI, and who's husband has a fishing charter business, may be able to help also. I suspect she knows some charter companies on New Providence. As Tweedy said, post a message on the www.bahamas.com message board and one of those two might be able to help. Steve has been sailing Bahamian waters for more than 20 years.<BR><BR>Danny<BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 06:18 PM
robert

If you catch a grouper, please photo and release it. The populations of grouper are way down around Nassau and other parts of the Bahamas. Too much over-fishing and orders for Grouper dinners. Robert

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Daniel Williams

Thanks for the heads-up, Robert. Although it'll be hard to resist smudder grouper or the grouper fingers, maybe I'll order something else instead when I'm there (pray don't tell me the conch are in short supply...I crave that conch soup!)<BR><BR>DAN

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:58 AM
Robert

Dan; Still fun to catch and release them. I have to admit, grouper tastes great, and I did have some morsels when I was there over Xmas. Unfortunately, the Bahamians are not too up on the preservation issue. I witnessed two men unload an old 6 foot wooden boat from a pick-up truck west of Nassau, and paddled out with wood slabs, not oars. They returned from the reef in only 20 minutes, with 2 large buckets packed with spiny lobsters. They use bleach to force them out of the coral and ruin the coral reef in the process. A taxi cab met them and put the catch into the trunk, then sped away. Not to worry though, the REEF organization in Key Largo, along with the Bahamas National Trust, will have "NO-Take" regions in the waters of Nassau and out islands in the near future. Every one will benefit, including poor Bahamians who depend on the ocean bounties. But, I have to admit, I did partake in several grouper dinners at the Traveler's Inn, Orange Hill Inn, and at the Green Shutters Restaurant in Nassau. Let's hope the grouper population increases to healthy levels once again!! Robert