Get a life!!!!

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 06:36 AM
Mr Concerned

Get a life!!!!

It is very disappointing to check through the posts and to find that some few are just totally blasting the islands. Check down through the posts and there are very few that actually try to help or ask about travel. 6 months ago when I planned my trip to the BVI's I found many people offering assistance and enjoyed reading the posts. Now I am just disappointed. Those of you that feel like you are doing a great justice by bringing up bad news over and over have to get a life. I will bet that you have probably never been to the places you speak of.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 08:00 AM
Reader

I must agree with you. The quality of postings at this site has really been degraded. First, crime is everywhere, even your hometown. I don't know why the naysayers keep regurgitating the same things over and over such as crime in Jamaica, Crime in the Caymans, Aruba, etc. It blows my mind that many travelers expect Utopia upon visiting the islands! <BR> <BR>Here's an idea folks, instead of rehashing the same thing over and over about an island in general, how about commenting on YOUR particular experience at a resort, restaurant, etc. instead. Yes, we know that the USVI, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic etc. has crime. Enough with the general comments already!!

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 02:01 PM
couldntagreewithumore

Well said, Mr Concerned and Reader. Sadly, these posts have gone downhill lately and it's rare anymore to get your specific questions answered without all this 'clutter'. The islands are no different when it comes to crime than anywhere else in the world-expect maybe Antarticia !!

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 04:57 PM
gary

Ditto, Ditto, and Ditto! You think the before mentioned naysayers have any idea with what they've done to the quality of this forum? Ya, we're talking about you. Go away please and leave this place for travelers!

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 06:33 PM
pamr

Please see "Crime Against Tourists on Aruba" - the "mad poster" admits to doing this just to stir it up! Unfortunately, I was in a pretty foul mood when I read this post & did just what the perpetrator wanted - blew a gasket! I'm not sure as to his or her motives, but it is both sad & sick. I am just very tired of hearing everything blasted!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 09:49 AM
debbie

Thank you for telling people to get off the bitch n' complain train. A vacation is a vacation not a guarantee of safe harbour, excellent weather and everything being perfect! In Toronto every summer there is the Caribana Festival which draws thousands of tourists to this city - people come from all over to enjoy this annual event. A few years ago someone was shot in the crowd watching the parade and though it's a truly sad situation, it happened. Shit happens. Life happens. And however sad this situation is, it has not changed anyone's mind about travelling to Toronto to enjoy Caribana. If this had happened on one of the islands, well my god, the naysayers and negative nellies would've been coming out of the woodwork to feast on this one! <BR>So sometimes I don't mind the negative nellies and their scaremongering because then I have to figure that will just make more room for us more See-Glass-Half-Full-Instead-of-Half-Empty types in all the resorts in our favourite resorts. <BR>But I do get really tired of reading the same negative crap over and over again and wish they would stay off this post. I swear if I read one more item about: <BR>-crime (stop running around the island at 2 am with cash hanging out of your pockets!) <BR>- all inclusives (try doing non all inclusives when you are dealing in Canadian dollars honey!). A recent article in a Canadian newspaper showed that 8 out of 10 Canadians are travelling all-inclusive these days. <BR>- the food/water in Mexico (now think about this - do you think that your girlfriend or your friend or your neighbour two doors over who got sick the last time they were in Mexico - do you think it would be because they drank something other than the bottled water so copiously and freely provided by the GOOD resorts, or do you think it would have anything to do with perhaps the overindulgence of alcohol, the excess sun, the rich and spicy food on the buffet, and all that wonderful fresh fruit, not to mention the fruity creamy drink concoctions!). <BR>Thankfully there are still helpful people who are glad to share advice and GOOD THINGS about the places we like to travel to. I often tell me people to email me direct with more questions and I get many requests for more specific information this way - don't blame them as they can correspond freely without the negative nellies putting in their two cents worth of bitching and complaining. Unfortunately though, this info doesn't get shared with all the other interested posters!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 03:28 PM
strongtradewinds

OK-Isn't this great - the responses have turned the tide against the complainers, so while on my soapbox, here's another annoyance - when folks don't recommend an island-be it any island-because of the 'wind' - especially in the Southern Caribbean. Think about it - these islands are only a few degrees north of the equator - that means hot, which means humidity. Those annoyance winds keep the islands cool and generally comfortable. Some posters make it seem like they got caught in an Arabian desert sandstorm. Of course, if you're wearing contact lenses, then, yes, a bit of sand in your eye would be quite uncomfortable, but reason enough to ruin a vacation ?? <BR> <BR>What other complaints against the complainers do we have out there ???

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 05:01 AM
Karen

Have a few minutes to spend before my "other life" kicks in! LOL ... but do take issue with the Southern Caribbean and the WIND! A complainer about Aruba, yes, (but a complainer in general, no!) but my time in Aruba was planned to beach it as I do when I travel to every Caribb location and it was rudely interrupted by WIND - not cooling breezes but strong steady winds that blew sand so it was like being sand blasted. And it hurt! Never having experienced an Arabian desert sandstorm, nor wanting to, this is exactly how I pictured one! LOL No, seriously, the blowing sand made the beach uncomfortable even when making a makeshift windbraker out of chairs and towels! The sand blew everywhere - it was relentless and stuck and creeped into everything but the stinging sand made the beach miserable and uncomfortable! This was in February and even the Islanders laughed with me telling me how I missed the "worst" of it as it only gets stronger in the Spring! Most people retreated to the pools and that is not where I anticipated nor want to spend my time in the Caribb. Whether it makes the temp tolerable or not is not the issue but whether one can enjoy those wonderful beaches. I couldn't! After all, those Divi Divi trees grow sideways because of the unrelenting wind! Therefore, it was one of the many downers I experienced on Aruba! We each have our own agendas, likes and dislikes, preferences and wants and needs. If someone won't return because of something that was unsatisfactory, then that should be good for you - just more room, less people when you are there! And those who are considering an island experience should be able to learn not only the good but the bad and the not-so-good about the island before they pay big bucks to go somewhere! Then they can make an educated decision. I resented that everyone "down played" the wind and that the island was not anything that I expected - it had its few good points and has provided a lot of laughs with the stories, don't get me wrong, but for me, it was NOT a wonderful Caribb experience! And I have NO PROBLEM telling it the way it IS ... nor hiding behind another or an anonymous identity!

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 05:36 AM
Mr Concerned

Karen, not attacking you nor looking for a fight. You have your opinions but apparently have not been email bombed by the immature people that dwell here, thus no need yet for the anonymous email addresses. It is funny really because you were one of the people who helped me 7 months ago on my decision of Tortola. I used a different address because I dont want anyone to know who I am since the address is tied to my office. Keep in mind that not every email is directed towards you. My concern is not of those that give factual comments in a constructive manner but of those that have filled this site with stupid posts.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 11:13 AM
debbie

Karen - a solution for you on the Wind n' Aruba situation. Go in November! We spent two weeks there at the Holiday Inn on Palm Beach and didn't experience the wind you speak of....and even better it's cheaper because it's off season. <BR>Your complaint of the wind is valid based on your description but when someone writes in and whines that the winds in Aruba kept ruining her hairstyle............welll puhllllleeeeze! I will be the first to admit I couldn't have lasted one hour on Palua Tiga without my hairdryer and half my bathroom but I hope to God I never get to where I won't enjoy a wonderful island like Aruba 'cause that ole' wind might ruin my hairstyle! At first I thought I didn't care for Aruba because if I saw one more pizza joint and donut shop I'd scream but ya know, the place kind of grows on you and when you pick your spots and look at the glass half full it does have lots of good qualities. Yes, I could have smacked the one saleslady who thought the U.S. $ travellers cheque issued on a Canadian bank was some kind of funny money and was hesitant to accept it but you have to make the best of things, but that's just a story, not a complaint. <BR> <BR>The way I look at it, I don't us to ever regret that we've dropped two grand each on a vacation somewhere. <BR> <BR>Mr. Concerned.........strongtradewinds if you are one and the same - thanks for your further rally against the whiners, regretfully I see our fight for good instead of evil isn't working as the 'crime somewhere' post has made it back to the top of the list which means these types of posts won't go away until people start ignoring them. <BR>When this board is working right, it's amazing the valuable info you can get from it. Last year, I was looking for info on San Andreis island - one woman wrote a very excellent description of the few resorts and it was neither critical nor whining, just an honest summary. Based on that info we decided that this was not the place we wanted to spend two weeks. <BR>At the risk of bringing the U.S. vs Cuba pontificators out of the woodwork, I'm going to mention also - last Jan after booking into the Sol Melia Rio de Oro Guardalavaca Cuba, I wrote asking if anyone could tell me more about this place. I learned some extremely valuable information (the least of which was to bring own tp for the airport washroom) that I might not have known before Internet. <BR> <BR>So this is an excellent Forum for learning (from personal experiences) - let's try and keep it that way. Whatever happened to that old axiom - IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING. or alternatively, go to the Rants and Raves section.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 10:04 AM
Karen

Whoa! We have made it back down to #26 with a couple of the "crime" threads pushing us way down the list! LOL ... Whinning and complaining is one thing but reporting experiences is another (it's all the eyes of the reader!). I feel that someone who has an unpleasant experience, where ever, that that person should post it right here - right along side with the praises. When I click on, I don't want just the sugar-coated from people who love one particular spot and maybe don't even try others, but I want the good, the bad and the ugly so that I can make a well informed decision. So, the negatives should be posted right up there with the positives and even if it provokes DISCUSSION and suggestions, not name-calling and arguments, and informs someone about a resort/island/activity - that is a good thing! Don't do November trips usually ... only month between October and April you won't catch me in the Caribb (but our early December sometimes catches the end of November like this year!) Just too much going on at home! And if it were 20 some years ago before the invasion of Aurba by the Americanization, I might consider it, but there are too many wonderful secluded undeveloped spots for me to explore - and that's what I want to do before others find them! I have seen island after island "deteriorate" once it has been "found" (especially St. John and the BVI's - they are still wonderful but I long for the good ol' days!). Hairstyle? What's a hairstyle in the the Caribb? Isn't that why they make hats? LOL and I just love the ones who can't find the perfect nail salon to fix the plastic nails! LOL I won't even think of it ... might punch a hole in the float (yes, we always take our own with a pump just in case!). When you find a place you didn't like, whether it be 2K or more, you have to do your best to make lemonaide out of the lemon! And there have been some regrets but some wonderful winners too and each one holds some wonderful memories!!!

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 11:29 AM
chas

Has anyone else notice the coincidence? While there is still some negative postings going on, they all seem to be presenting valid issues. The 'bashing' seemed to have stopped around the time school started again. <BR> <BR>I guess they did get a life. It's called homework.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 09:41 AM
deb

Karen - you are right. When I mentioned that one person's trip report on San Andreis, they would say "I don't like..." or would just say something that made me think, yea, I don't like that either or no that is not something or someplace I want to go. But you're right, you want to be able to make an informed decision based on facts, not whining comments. <BR>So if you are looking for secluded and not yet 'americanized/sanitized', have you looked at Belize? <BR> <BR>And Chas, yes it is very funny that now that everyone is seriously buckling down and booking that ever-so-wonderful winter vacation in the sun, the theft, rape and pillage scaremongering has subsided quite a bit!

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 11:41 AM
Jeff O'Neal

The Lois McMillen murrder trial starts next month on Tortola, BVI. 1 American is charged with her murder and 3 of his friends are charged with conspiracy to murder. All 4 have been held in prison all this year without bail while the Crown has dragged its feet and delayed getting crime lab results back. This is such a railroad job. No Peace, No Justice!

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 12:38 PM
xxxx

Mr. Concerned, I agree. This forum is not what it was months ago. It's lost it's value as a reliable resource. Also, I'm on here enough to see Karen crop up in a lot of postings....and she's always rude. At first, I thought she must work for the St. Thomas tourism industry because she seemed to take ST posts so personally. Wherever she works or spends her time, I'm sure she's the loud, abrasive, know-it-all that everyone wants to avoid. The saying is true, you do get more flies with honey than vinegar.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 05:57 PM
Karen

Oh! wouldn't that be lovely ... everyone could avoid me and I would be at "peace." LOL Don't work for any tourist board, in fact, am "retired" from the 9 - 5 stuff -thankfully - and never have been rude to anyone by calling them "loud, abrasive and know-it all!" In fact, I have to chuckle when I read that (gee! when did I post in all caps?) LOL ! Is that the kettle calling the pot black? LOL You must have been one who posts inaccurate or misleading information and I musta stepped on your toes when I corrected you. Sorry that you got your feelings hurt - but sometimes stuff happens!! LOL. Too bad you sought to drag this whole boring thread to the forefront again and chose to attack me ... that's not nice!! But, sticks and stones and all that ... And if I can introduce you to any on-island knowledge, be sure to let me know!!! Have a nice day! <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 07:51 AM
Ray Snow

I have to agree with Karen. I don't think she is overly negative, rude, loud, or abrasive. I participate in several other message boards/forums about the Caribbean and Karen often posts comments on them. True, she sometimes makes negative comments about places, but that is her evaluation of the place or whatever she is discussing. She also makes a lot of positive recommendations about places. She is entitled to her opinions and has the right to express them here or on any other similar forum. I'm sure she has helped many visitors to the Caribbean with her posts. Everything is not always sweetness and light. Some people like me are probably guilty of putting a positive spin on nearly everthing we post about the Caribbean. In my case, it's because I love the place so much that I tend to view it thru rose colored glasses. I am thankful for people like Karen who take a more realistic approach to things. And speaking of negative posts, that one by xxxx that derides Karen so much was about as negative as you can get.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 04:39 PM
Lisa

As someone else who has been accused of working for the tourist industry, I can relate to how Karen feels. But some of us have very high standards (I mean Karen has stayed at some of the best resorts and has exacting standards) and the rest of us are just happy to be able to travel. After a while you begin to know who believe.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 07:57 AM
tweedy

Just to add a bit here, I have noticed an interesting correlation, that since I have stopped posting my email address, I am not getting 5 or so junk emails a day. Last week I got an email offering illegal drugs and I was horrified. I forwarded the information to legal authorities here in NY and in Colorado where the company was based, guess those with junk to sell figure if we have time to travel then we must have money to spend on junk. <BR> <BR>tweedy

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 10:27 AM
Karen

Yup, Lisa, you are right ... I do have exacting standards and when I stay at the "best" it should be that! But, believe me, in earlier years with family to rear and other financial issues, I have stayed at some very moderate to inadequate spots and was just thankful I was there - have even camped out on several islands because it was the only way I could afford to go! I am just very lucky to be in a postion, right now, of being able to afford the "higher end" resorts! That can quickly change too! But no matter where you stay, you should have a high bar for the price, no matter what you are paying! Just because you pay less, doesn't mean that you have to accept substandard service, food, dirty accomodations etc. I look at my vacations now as a "reward" for all the hard work and scrimping that I did before - and knowing the value of a dollar - and trying to get my money's worth!! And Ray, thank you. &lt;blush, blush!!&gt;

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -