Reload this Page >

Gay or gay friendly resorts/hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:44 AM
island dreaming

My sweety & I are planning our first trip to the USVI's next February. Are there any gay or gay friendly resorts out there? How gay friendly are the islands? Any responses would be greatly appreiciated.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:11 AM
Nancy

For the most part, the Caribbean islands are not particularly gay friendly. There has even been some violence toward gays, and many resorts do not accept same sex couples.<BR>From what I have read, Puerto Rico is an exception. I do not know for sure but would guess that the French islands are less inhibited about it as well. I do know that most of the British islands (including the BVI's) are definitely not accepting of a gay lifestyle. If you are staying in the USVI's, I think you would be less likely to encounter any problems. <BR>If you are concerned, perhaps there are gay travel forums or boards like this one you can ask other travelers for their experiences on.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:06 PM
Islander

There are at least one property if not more on each of the three usvi's who fly the rainbow flag. Inn @ BlackBeards, 1829 on St. Thomas and Comorrant on St. Croix are but a sample. St. John has several places where you would be comfortable. Actually the us islands are very open to many diverse people including alternate life style. The BVI's appear to be a bit more strick but there are accomodations there where gays are quite comfortable and welcome also. Surly someone will have a website or board where you can go for that information. I have yet to hear of a villa agent questioning one sexual preferences before renting in the US or BVI.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:05 PM
Lisa

I hear that some resorts in the Dominican Republic is also gay-friendly.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:49 PM
Ellen

To Nancy:<BR><BR>I would like to know how you are an except on gay travelers in the Caribbean and why you state that the Caribbean islands are not particularly gay friendly? My brother is gay and he has visited many Carribean Islands including the BVI's. He and his partner have stayed at 4 and 5 star resorts and never once felt uncomfortable. I would also like to know when there was ever violence towards gays in the Carribean and what resorts do not accept same sex couples. I have never heard of a resort advertising that they do not accept same sex couples. <BR><BR>So, Island dreaming, go ahead and vacation on any island at any resort. So what if 2 woman or 2 men are traveling together, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are gay and if they are they are still human beings and should be treated as such.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:20 PM
happy

OMG! Two same sex individuals would assume to be gay because they travel together? A hotel would not welcome them as guests? Have traveled to the USVI and BVI and many other islands with one or more same sex friends and never encountered one ounce of hostility no matter our private sexual practices. Nancy once again strikes the bottom of the barrel for misleading information.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Not saying.

Nancy is right. The culture among caribbean men is very macho and they are often homophobic. They use bad words to decribe homosexual men.<BR><BR>I definitely would not advise two gay men to behave in an openly "gay" way in a caribbean town. They would lay themseves open to ridicule, verbal abuse and possibly worse.<BR><BR>I think that a discreet lesbian couple would have no problems.<BR><BR>This question came up on another BB and the poster was advised to go to gay.com where there is a travel BB (I believe).<BR><BR>Ellen - your advice is not safe. The caribbean people are not as accustomed to gays as we are in the US and Europe.<BR><BR>Happy - the key phrase in your post is "private sexual practises". If its private then you'll have no problems.<BR><BR>BTW I am not gay but don't want Donna to be misled.<BR><BR>Donna - you were right to ask the question. Do some research and enjoy your resort but be discrete in town.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:00 AM
Lisa

I have to jump in and agree with Nancy and Not Saying. It is true that homosexuality especially between men is a taboo in many Caribbean islands. I wouldn't advise flaunting it. And by saying this I am by no means advocating discrimination against gays, not at all! It is simply a reality, though unfortunate, that you should keep in mind...<BR><BR>Don't shoot the messenger(s), Donna asked a valid question and is receiving valid answers. I'm glad that some of you have not encountered problems, but that is not to say problems don't exist.<BR><BR>Peace.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:45 AM
tivertonhouse

Two gay women should have no problem in USVI as long as discretion in public is used. (There are gay resorts,albeit small ones, on St.Croix but that's hardly the reason to go there;in fact,racial tensions are stronger on St.C). Lesbians are under the radar of most Caribbeans.Read 'The Pagoda' by Patricia Powell for a good view. Gay men,however, are far more threatening to British and Spanish influenced matriarchal island cultures where conservatism is the rule and sexuality is not discussed. The French islands and Trinidad are nowhere as biased. Even common sexual terminology is a cue to a throwback attitude (cf:<BR>to discharge rather than to come). Listen to the chi-chi this and batty that of many current dj hit tunes and the message is clear:a scapegoat, be it Babylon or homosexuality is an easy way to deflect other social problems and tensions in the culture. What is public behaviour/dissing however is not necessarily private behaviour given the fact that many in past and present Jamaica government life are well-known<BR>for their 'walks on the wild side'.Be yourselves, don't define yourself by your sexual preference or be paranoid/just careful.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:20 AM
Daniel

Hey Island Dreaming, We just returned from the USVI's St Thomas and St John We had a villa on St Thomas. There were 8 people in our group all gay. 4 guys and 4 girls, and we did not have any problems what so ever. As a matter of fact on St John which is fantastic and beautiful, we met several gay people and some that worked there. You might want to try Purple Roof it's a website that gives listings of gay and gay friendly. Go and have a blast.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:31 PM
friend of a friend

Rainbow destinations is a B&B website that lists Gay and Lesbian Friendly Accommodations Worldwide:<BR>http://www.guesthouses.net<BR><BR>I noticed that they have one listing for St. Thomas. Incidentally, their listing for the Turks & Caicos, the Carribean Paradise Inn on Provo, is a great choice!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:50 PM
valerie

I would think it would be a matter of how you act, and how "openly gay" the couple is. I have gay friends that travel as freely as the rest of us, noone would care what they did behind close doors. They are considerate, fun and respectful. <BR>I also have "acquaintances" that make me very uncomfortable/embarrassed (my gay friend even feel uncomfortable around them) with their over-the-top lifestyles. I can see that type getting into trouble most anywhere, especially clubbing in some places. <BR>I would think that if you don't flaunt your sexuality, noone will care.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:35 PM
my

Ellen for your info smarty pants, Sandals does NOT allow gays, says so in their brochure, hey now I see why Sandals is so popular!!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:00 PM
poffpoff

How would Sandals even know a couple or a pair traveling together were gay or not?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:06 PM
my

Oh goody got me another smarty smarty had a party... For YOUR info poffpoff it states OPPOSITE sex couples!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:54 PM
xxx

Sandals does not allow "same sex" couples because homosexuality is against the law in Jamaica (where Sandals first started)...they apply this rule across all of their properties. It is not meant to discriminiate in anyway. They are just complying with the law.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:05 PM
my

Yeah mon, ye best not go to Jamaica, gays not welcomed here. For one thing homosexual intercourse in Jamaica get you 10 YEARS mon!! Believe it or not folks.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:08 PM
my

This no joke mon, stay away, government serious about gays, they take no sheet about it.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:29 PM
Oh

Ellen oh Ellen you give bad advice I,m sorry to say. Several islands in the caribbean are homophobic ESPECIALLY Jamaica. Please research before you tell someone to vacation on any island at any resort. Island dreaming hope you find island that you won't have to worry about being gay, but stay away from Jamaica!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:40 PM
my

To happy@disney: Nancys advice was NOT misleading pal, I wish you people would think or KNOW the facts before you post! It gets tiring when people are to quick to lambast someone when in fact its THEM that turn out to be the MISLEADING ones!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -