Future Cuba travel plans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2024, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm keeping an eye on the situation in Cuba and currently have no plans to visit anytime soon. Mainly because of the frequent power struggles. Does anybody else here have plans to return soon? If not, where are you going? My Europe plans changed and I am currently in the early stages of a 10 week Belize/Guatemala trip.
Old May 24th, 2024, 11:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nothing about Cuba pro or con, but my future trips will likely be to Mexico. Europe takes a lot more planning, time, money for me from west coast USA. If I were going into the Caribbean I'd go to Negril Jamaica as I've enjoyed it in the past over the years.
Old May 27th, 2024, 08:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We would really like to return to Cuba. In spite of it’s Communist govt and its suppression, the Cuban culture with it’s music and dance shone through.
Old May 27th, 2024, 09:57 PM

Was in the Windy city last month. Chicago is impressive and way more dangerous than Cuba.
Just staying in Canada for the rest of this year.
If I go back to Cuba next winter, I hope do another cross-country trip to different places.
Old May 28th, 2024, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Hey Suze. I remember you from the TA Puerto Vallarta forum. I haven't been to PV since 2018 and probably won't be returning anytime soon. My Mexico trips these days are usually a combination of Cozumel and Merida. HappyTravir, I won't address your political comment, but yes, the music and people of Cuba are what keep bringing me back. CubanWaters, I'll be sending you an email tonight. As far as my next Cuba trip, I am hoping to return in January depending on the severity of the power outages.
Old Jun 1st, 2024, 05:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I lived in the city center of downtown Chicago and never felt it was dangerous. You take necessary precautions in all cities. Walked to and from work daily, in the dark too.
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 05:11 PM

I spent most of my time in downtown Chicago on my visit and didn’t find it dangerous either. Of course Chicago is made up of many different neighborhoods, some quite safe, some fairly safe and some dangerous. You weren’t aware of this?

If there is one thing that impresses me about Cuba, it is the safety factor as a tourist.

Last edited by CubanWaters; Jun 2nd, 2024 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jun 26th, 2024, 04:17 AM

I'd love go to go Cuba, on my own.
I'm in Miami area in winter and its so close.

One of the major issues for me is the food...sounds pretty terrible.
Am I wrong?

I'd go just to wander around La Habana, organize a driver to take me to a few places not all that far away...Vinales (??). The music....
But every time I look into this I read about the terrible food and since food is such a big interest for me.....I never go far with the planning.

Can a US female go out to hear music before midnight art a place not totally geared to tourists????

Can I still get a visa marking "support for Cuban people" at the airport in Miami?

Old Jun 26th, 2024, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Generally the food in Cuba is decent. Havana on the other hand is completely different from the rest of the country. You can eat many different types of cuisine at all kinds of price ranges. One possible issue is that not everything on the menu will be available. Other than that, you won't have any real issues unless you have any dietary restrictions. Any food that you can't live without, bring with you as well as any medications and a first aid kit. You will find no problems finding music. Some of the places in Old Havana are geared towards tourists. But escaping them is easy. Just get off the beaten path. Flights from Miami are easy. Check off "support for the Cuban people" and get your visa at the airport. Also have to fill out a form online before you go.
Old Jun 26th, 2024, 09:11 PM

Most complaints about "the food" in Cuba are from people who go to resorts. Like Simon says, Havana is a place where all types of restaurants, drinking establishments and pricing can be found.
I would even go as far as saying that for the other 7 of the most visited 8 cities in Cuba. Let food not be your worry....or nightlife in Havana.
Take your American $ dollars because as you should know, U.S. affiliated credit cards will not work in Cuba. Cash is king in the country of Cuba.
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 05:54 AM

That's great..maybe I will go for a week next winter.

BUT..how would you allocate the time?
Habana---3 days too little?

And then one other place, maybe? I read about Vinales a lot but have done no research yet..

You've reassured me..I know I won't starve, and have no dietary issues at all..am up for eating just about anything.

Can I walk around solo in Habana at night?

Most important......am I silly to want a hotel rather than a casa particular? I'd love a pool. My budget is generous. I speak fluent Spanish although the Cubans give me a bit of a headache with their accent..that part will be super fun!!!!! In general I am not a timid traveler......and in Spanish speaking countries I feel a special bond..ahrd to explain.

I have family history in Cuba but have never been.
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

For 7 days in Cuba, the classic combo is Havana and Vinales. I personally would spend as much time as possible in Havana. I've spent over 2 years there total and still didn't see everything. Havana and the rest of Cuba are generally safe. Violent crime is rare on tourists. Bring your street smarts with you and don't drink too much and don't flash any kind of wealth. The only crime you are likely to encounter is people overcharging and short changing you. Ask the price of everything before hand and always count your change. There are casa particulars in Havana that have a pool.
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 07:51 AM

I plan to head back to Gibara for at least four months in December or January.

Contingency plans include purchasing 6 new LED rechargeable lights ($14 at Canadian Tire), a couple of LED permanent indoor lights powered by a small external solar panel, two rechargeable power packs for electronics, two rechargeable fans and one more mosquito netting for the spare bed in my bedroom.

Take my own supply of antibiotics, bandages, guaze pads and a suture kit.

Order cheese and powdered milk from TreeW a couple of weeks prior to leaving.

Food is not a problem when travelling independently, IF you have sources for everything from pork to chicken to fish, seafood, and other items. Everything can be found on Revolico.

In season fruit and vegetables can be purhcased from independent store front sellers or from the feria (market) on Saturdays

Yes, everything is more expensive, but not overly so for the average non-national when you can get over 200 cup for Canadian currency and over 300 for US greenbacks.

The only thing missing is a vibrant night life but at this stage of going to Cuba (almost 30 years now), it's a "been there, done that" situation. I tend to "darty" now....daytime party....and there are a plethora of watering holes where a beer can still be had for the equivalent of $1 US. That way when the power goes off at 9pm I'm ready for bed anyway, then get an early start on the next day to walk the dog, exercise and swim before the hot tempertures settle in.
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 08:01 PM

ekscrunchy
.....am I silly to want a hotel rather than a casa particular? I'd love a pool. My budget is generous.......
Not silly at all. If you can afford the comforts of a hotel, then a hotel it should be. In a hotel, I feel more like a somebody. I am biased, yes. Plenty of great casas out there as well.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+
​​​​​​​
candice v
Are you candysita?
​​​​​​​I tend to "darty" now....daytime party....and there are a plethora of watering holes where a beer can still be had for the equivalent of $1 US.
Jajajaja
Your dedication is admirable!
Old Jun 29th, 2024, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Yeah it seems that on my Cuba trips I have to pack more and more stuff. Travelling anywhere else in the world I just take my backpack and my laptop bag. Every Cuba trip I bring out my long check list of things I have to bring. That's a useful list of gadgets to bring Candi. All of those things are needed desperately in the current situation. The food that I bring is mostly breakfast stuff. Whole grain breads, cereal, becel margarine, peanut butter, sugar free alomnd/soy milk, caffeine free instant coffee and herbal teas. Also things like protein bars, nuts, sliced vacum packed sandwich meats, cans of sockeye salmon and some other canned goods. Also on my last few trips I had to bring sparkling water with me because it was unavailable in the areas I was staying in. Hopefully it will be around on my next trip or sometimes it is available on the supermarket tree website.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 01:45 PM

Are you bringing things like peanut butter, that you mentioned, to give away, or to have it for yourself in case you cannot find things you like??

So let's imagine I go for a week in January or so.....

I know I will not be hungry.

What are the MOST IMPORTANT items that I should bring to give away?
I am a Costco member....should I bring Tylenol? Ibuprofen?

When I used to travel to Burma they needed things like blood pressure meds, but I gave those directly to an old folks' hospital......

I am thinking of a one week trip, not thinking about carrying a load of things.....

So, let's say I want a hotel for La Habana and then hire a driver to take me to: ???? Vinales????

Which is the best hotel with a pool long enough for swimming?

I can deal pretty well....not worried about much (although sister was mugged, but she was there about 30 years ago on her own for a film event.....she maybe had her passport nicked]..it was not a huge deal.....).

Sorry to give TMI but my Dad and I went to Idelwild to welcome Fidel when he came to the US...I gave him a bunch of flowers..in those days we could get right up close to the ramp where he exited the plane......my parents were such huge fans.....they were there when he entered the capital......everyone thought that would be the beiginning of a "new Cuba." It was, but maybe not in the way they all thought..

Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Everything I bring is for personal use. Whatever I have left over, I leave for my casa host. In a 1 week trip to Cuba, I wouldn't be worrying about extra items to take down. Contributing to the economy is the best thing you can do. Going to restaurants and enjoying the nightlife (tip the musicians) puts money into people's pockets. Buy some local arts, crafts and services. Lots of hotels have large swimming pools in Havana.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 06:35 PM

The only way you'll go hungry in Havana is if you forget your wallet at home.

Top 6 day trips from heavenly Havana
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Other than the statement that Euros are the best currency to bring, that's a great article.
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

I should also ad, if you still plan on bringing over the counter medications, distributing them so they get inti the right hands can be difficult. Going through proper channels with paperwork can be extemely frustrating. Even dropping them off at a hospital might not guarntee they will be used there. More than likely they will be sold on the black market. Any medicines found upon arrival that are not for personal use, will probably be confiscated. If yoy want more information try starting a new thread or send Candi a personal mesage. She knows more about this subject than I do.