French St. Martin ATM's

Search

French St. Martin ATM's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French St. Martin ATM's

When I went to France a couple of years ago, people on this forum were so helpful. They told me that while there were a lot of ATM's throughout France, the ATM card you used had to be connected to a savings account ONLY because there was no option between savings and checking on the machine itself. This was a while back, and my memory could be fault - it's possible it was a checking account ONLY; I can't remember. Either way, I'm wondering if that's the same way the ATM's are set up in St. Martin. I'm thinking of going this summer and just wanted to be prepared for that possibility. Thanks so much!

Annie
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 03:46 AM

Both sides of the island have numerous banks and Plus and Cirrus network ATM machines. Banking hours are typically Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm and Saturdays from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm. These hours vary depending on the banking institution. ATM machines are located at every bank as well as many grocery stores and shopping areas.

Usually go with my www.capitalone.com no Fx fee Venture Visa

taken the most widely there but odds are great Visa/MC CC

of any type will be fine usually do not travel with

debit card due to fraud "skimming" risk and try to use only

big bank ATMS.

Happy Travels,
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 03:55 AM

There are numerous ATMs located throughout the island (though there are none on Orient Bay) and all will permit withdrawls from foreign checking accounts.

On the Dutch side of the island you usually have a choice of requesting US Dollars, Euros, or NA Guilders (the latter nobody uses !).

On the French side, to the best of my knowledge, there are only 2 ATMs from which US Dollars can be withdrawn. These are located outside the recently opened branch of Credit Mutuel, on the front line of the new Hope Estate, just off the main N7 road, opposite the turning to Grand Case and the small local airport.

The other is outside the main office of Credit Mutuel in down town Marigot. Both also, of course, dispense Euros.

I personally use both of these regularly to obtain Dollars from my Bank of America checking account, to save myself the trouble of driving from where I live to the other side of the island - but it does cost a little bit more to do so than using the ATMs on the Dutch side.

It is also probably a good idea to inform your bank, prior to departure, that you intend to use your bank card to withdraw money on the island, as otherwise the use of the card here might be questioned as being 'an unusual transaction'. The same also goes for your credit card issuers, warn them too, as sometimes out of the ordinary use - particularly for any particularly significant purchase - may be 'flagged' as being suspicious.

By the way, AMEX is not always accepted here in shops and restaurants, so bring a Visa, or MasterCard card or similar.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!