Search

Francois Plantation in St. Barth's?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Francois Plantation in St. Barth's?

Hello,

Has anybody stayed at the Francois Plantation in St. Barth's? I'm going there for my honeymoon and want to know your opinion and if you felt like it was too remote?

Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:29 AM

My stepdaughter and her partner traveled there last November after bidding on a luxurylink package. They were pleased with the accommodations but were disappointed that the infinity-edge pool was not open, as the hotel was just opening up from its annual closing. Also, the wine tasting promised in the package was not available as the restaurant wasn't up and running yet.

After having vacationed on St. Barth's since she was a child and then going back for the first time in about 15 years, she had definitely noticed a lot of changes on the island. She said it was the first time she ever had that "Yankee, go home" feeling that many people talk about. Maybe she was being overly sensitive, maybe she didn't convey her Blue-state origins well enough, but she was happy to return home for the first time on a trip to St. Barth's.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:31 AM

I have not stayed there as we normally do villa rental in St Barths. I know the location though and I do not think it is too remote, it is a honeymoon after all. St Barths is so small that it does not take long to get anywhere on the island. It is close to Flamands beach which is one of the best on the island. Plus the hotel has a wonderful restaurant. (are you going during the off-season? the restaurant is closed May 31 to Oct 31) It is such a beautiful place! I think its the perfect place for a honeymoon.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:35 AM

ej - I am sorry to hear about her trip! I have never had that feeling on St Barths at all. I always find the locals to be warm and welcoming. I do agree that things have changed there a lot (but I guess you can say that about anywhere ). The first time I was in St Barths was in the 1970s and have been there many times since. We return in Nov. for a couple of weeks.

I guess any trip really depends on who you meet while you are there...
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I appreciate all of your input. I can't wait for the trip!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Mim, by almost all other accounts St. Barths is a wonderful island--my husband took his 3 daughters there every summer for years. I think part of her more recent feeling of being slightly unwelcome was as much to do with nostalgia being there as a child and being blissfull unaware of world events, as it was with now being aware that Americans are doing some very bad things worldwide (in her and in my opinion), which we all have to pay the price for, whether we support those actions or not.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Hi EJ,

Not to turn this into a political discussion, however tempting that might be, I'm sure that your step-daughter's perception was on target. After all the French bashing that has gone on in the US, with some calling for a boycott of all things French, we will not be greeted the way we once were.

Since the beginning of the *war* I have been to Anguilla and to Jamaica (twice) and have engaged in many interesting conversations. For those of us open to hearing another perspective of our country these days, much can be learned.

But to think that Americans will be greeted with the same respect and enthusiasm of past days is probably unrealistic.

I will look forward to doing Killer Bee research in Nevis for you EJ !

Marion

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:57 PM

EJ - Times have changed and maybe they do not welcome Americans with the open arms they once did. I will let you know after our trip in Nov. what our impressions were. The last trip we took we were treated much like I have been in the past, but maybe things continue to change.

I would think with the increased tourism there the locals would be less friendly. I think if I had lived there all of my life I might have some negative feelings towards so many tourists!

I know a very wonderful lady from St Barths who was visiting Nevis when I was there last month. She talked about the huge increase in tourism and the positive and negatives to that. As Marion said it is really interesting to get an opinion from a local person about the state of the world.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Marion, I know what you mean. We traveled to Nevis and Jamaica post Iraq invasion and were eager to engage the locals we met in conversation, as well as the European tourists. And also eager to demonstrate that not all Americans need be tarred with the same brush as our current administration.

Not that I've ever expected a welcome with open arms simply because I'm American, but now when I travel out of the country I'm compelled to repair some goodwill on at least a personal basis with the people I meet.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:15 AM

I'm quite surprised by many of your experiences. I am not doubting them at all but my experience in the last couple of years, both on French islands and in France, has been pleasant and positive with French people. I've not noticed being treated any differently than before the war.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:09 AM

EJ,

I'm sure you can imagine how political converstaions might have started at Jamica Inn with so many guests from the UK

"where do you live "

"Maine"

"Where in Maine "

"Ummm, Kennebunkport"

Hearing the British take on their own PM and their feelings about the US, provided many interesting hours of conversation

Marion
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Statia, I should mention that my interactions were never with anybody of French extraction. And I never encountered any rudeness at all--the Canadian & Caribbean locals as well as the European/British tourists were all certainly polite. But there was a marked increase in warmth once our Blue State ties were established, for lack of a better phrase. I've not returned to Europe since our current administration was elected, so I can't say one way or the other about that.

My stepdaughter encountered a moment of outright rudeness stopping by a cafe one afternoon on St. Barths. Maybe the employee was having a bad day, maybe it was a bit of the Francophone stereotype at work, maybe my stepdaughter was flustered or didn't begin the conversation with a "Good afternoon" first. But when she ordered an espresso she was told that they couldn't make one. Thinking it might just be a language barrier, she tried again to order an espresso in her tourist French. They again said one could not be made. Since "espresso" is an Italian word and not an English one, and she didn't know any French word for the equivalent, she used "espresso."
In the meantime, someone else came in, ordered, and received an espresso. My stepdaughter then pointed to the other customer's beverage to indicate that's what she wanted. All to no avail. No doubt by this time anger was beginning to flare on both sides, and of course I only know my stepdaugher's side of the story. But the way she told it indicated that the cafe employee just didn't want to serve them. Who really knows?

BUt that was clearly an isolated incident and should in no way detract from Nean's upcoming honeymoon to that romantic island. When do you leave, Nean?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Marion, I used to get that reaction from people when I still lived in Mississippi and traveled anywhere. A little part of me will always be on the defensive about MS, but sometimes when I tell folks where I'm from they actually take a step back from me, as if my inherent racist, barefoot, snake-handling, god-fearing ways might be contagious.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

We are leaving for the Carribean on December 10th. We are staying at Cap Jaluca in Anguilla for 5 nights and then will be in St. Barth's for 6 nights. It sounds like the Francois Plantation might be a good pick. I was trying to decide between the Francois Plantation and the Sofitel Christopher. The rates nearly double that time of year.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 06:06 PM

My wife and I were in St Barth in April and did not experience any negativity from anyone. In fact, the friendliness of everyone we met was amazing. It was our first visit and we'll be returning next April to enjoy another stay in paradise. It's a wonderful choice for a honeymoon!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:01 AM

I don't think you'll find Francois Plantation too remote at all. In February we rented a villa on one of the highest peaks in Colombier, far past Francois Plantation, and did not feel remote in the least. We enjoyed a great meal at Francois Plantation, by the way. Beautiful spot.

Visit sbhonline.com forums for all the SBH information you could possibly need. Lots of St. Barths fans there!

I can only speak to my own experience, but I noted absolutely no anti-American sentiment when we were there in February.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Just back from St Barth where we met a lovely young French woman running a shop who will be visiting California for the first time in September (actually the US for the first time!). She was very concerned as to how she would be treated as she thougtht Americans didn't like the French. I tried to reassure her- but it obviously goes both ways!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 12:27 PM

I hope it's not too late to give you some feedback. It's too bad about the one negative experience that seems to have taken over this thread. First: St. Bart's is a fabulous island and you are very lucky to be going. I found the locals and residents to be very warm and efficient -- and deliver a level of service that is among the best in the Caribbean. Second, Francois Plantation is gorgeous. The views alone are worth it. It may be a little remote, but on St. Bart's that is a plus because if there is one drawback about it, is that for a small island, it can get very busy. (Sometimes, traffic jams occur between St. Jean's Bay and Gustavia. So I think you will like the peace and quiet. As far as the anti-American vibe, I am Canadian, and often mistook for American and I can say that I felt no negative vibe. Sometimes a minority of Americans can seem a bit overbearing and that may colour the interactions.

But you will love your honeymoon!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 12:29 PM

P.S. You made the right choice between Francois and the Hotel Christopher. The Sofitel is okay, but a lot of families and a bit bland.