Help Deciding where to go in Feb

Jul 15th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Help Deciding where to go in Feb

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Caribbean/Mexico and are having a hard time choosing. Looking for a place with great beaches (white sand/light blue water), not too over developed, safe, and some nightlife. We have been to Aruba and Jamaica and would like to go someplace new....

Jul 15th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Sunnyboy

You've not given too much to go on but for an island with great white sand beaches and turquoise blue waters taht is not overly developed Anguilla would be perfect for your needs. It boasts about 35 uncrowded beaches with some of the whitest sand in the Caribbean, over 80 fine restaurants, there are no cruise ships and only a few resorts. Use the search feature above and you'll find tons of information.

FYI - The fact that you asked for "white sand" pretty much limits you to the coral based islands (Aruba, Anguilla, Anegada, Barbuda, the Turks & Caicos and many of the Bahamas Out-islands). Since you are going in February, the Bahamas Out-islands may be a bit too cool at that time of year so that further limits your choice and Provo in the T&c's may be too built up for you as is Aruba. If you expand your search to those islands with "light golden sand" beaches then you open up many more possibilities like some of the smaller islands in the BVI's or even the Grenadines. One last point to consider, if you are seeking an island that is "not too overly developed" you have to realize that those types of islands will generally not have extensive night life and sometimes few tourist amenities (less tourists means less people spending money which translates into less things being available for the tourists to do).

Jul 15th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Check out St John USVI's.The snorkeling is great there.The beaches have pretty calm waters with crystal clear water.Most people rent a villa on St John but they do have 2 resorts the Westin and Caneel Bay Resort.If you decide to go to St john and rent a villa...I recommend one with AC as it gets pretty hot there.It has all that you mentioned some nightlife,not too developed (2/3rds of the island is a National Park),safe,white sand beaches with clear and light blue waters.

For villa rentals try these links:

www.caribbeanvilla.com
www.vivacations.com
www.seaviewhomes.com

I have been to Aruba also and let me tell you...St John is so much more beautiful. Any more questions...feel free to ask.

PS..you would be flying into St Thomas and take the ferry over to St john which is only 20 to 40 minutes depending on which ferry you take.You can also rent a car on St John.We used Delbert Hill. Good luck!!
Jul 15th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Just noticed that you will be traveling in February so you will be fine if you do go to St John..to rent a villa without AC.Good luck!
Jul 16th, 2005, 05:01 AM

I vote the Grenadines.
Jul 17th, 2005, 11:47 AM

We love St Martin (the French side) and Turks & Caicos.

GJ40