Four Seasons Great Exuma trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - I've gotten alot of great advice so i thought I'd try to give something back This is my first trip report, though, so please be kind!
This was my first (though definitely not last!) solo trip to the Caribbean. I flew American in the early AM out of JFK to Miami, then connected on American Eagle directly into Great Exuma, Bahamas. No complications,really, except when we landed in Exuma, we were told the international arrivals terminal had burned down; we claimed our luggage and went through customs right on the tarmac - which was actually very efficient and quite pleasant. I had pre-arranged for a taxi transfer to the resort through the 4 seasons ($40 round trip - pretty comparable to what the independent taxis were charging); the 4 seasons rep was right there to whisk me and my luggage into the waiting cab. Less than a 15 minute cab ride through lush countryside landed me on the resort. I've been to Nassau and Paradise Island, and was struck by how relatively undeveloped the island was - pretty great. Greeted at the door by incredibly friendly staff and cold towels and lemonade; then directly off to my (standard) garden view room to check in - no lobby time required. The room itself was pretty big, with dark furniture and a ceiling fan. Ther was also a great patio- apparently all rooms have a patio/balcony. Don't bother getting an "oceanfront"- all rooms are set so far back from the beach with (gorgeous) landscaping that a true oceanfront doesn't exist. The first night had dinner in the more casual restaurant(can't remember the name) that closed the next night for 2 weeks to install A/C. Fantastic food and service; my server noted I was chilly (there was a storm offshore, so temps in the mid 60's) and found me a shawl - all without me saying a word. The beach the next AM was gorgeous, silky white sand and aquamarine water - but pretty choppy and full of seaweed from the storm. Didn't bother me too much - the lounge chairs were extremely comfortable , and the really pretty pool(s) were just steps away. Beach drink service was spotty, but understandable - there weren't really many people on the beach. Pool service was much more attentive - and friendly. Dinner the next few nights was at il Cielo, the more formal restaurant; really good food, surprisingly reasonable wine list, completely different menu every night (X 4 nights) They had a geat red Zinfandel tha tI get all the time at home for $10- they were charging $21 - not a terrible mark up at all (though I have been subjugated to New York prices for a while!) The resort was overall at pretty low occupancy - the restaurant manager estimated about 30% full, which I loved. The staff all knew my name by the end of the first day; I agree with some reviews I read on Trip advisor stating this resort didn't offer true "Four Seasons" polish - but that was MORE than made up for with the employees' true friendliness and eagerness to please. The only downsides to the resort were the high prices on food/drinks(even for the Caribbean - $28 for a basic buffet breakfast, and $16 pina coladas) and the lack of night life on/near the resort. Since i was going exclusively for rest and QUIET, it worked out well for me. The spa treatments overall were just OK, but still pleasant. I didn't do any snorkelling because of the roughness of the water, but I would enjoy returning to this resort. I had gotten a great deal - now that its showing up in Traveller and Travel and Leisure mags, I bet the rates will start to go up. The airport on the return tripo was very pleasant, with A/c and good food nearby. The trip home went off without a hitch. I have some pics, and would be happy to answer any questions-

Sabine
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 02:48 PM

I was very interested in your report. I stayed there last summer (June). I too found the food terribly expensive for quality that was lacking. I was also impressed with the staff which knew my name by the 2nd day and the attentiveness of the staff around the pool. I thought that being sprayed with Evian water while sitting around the pool was the height being an "Ugly American" but was shocked at myself as I craved it by the 2nd day.
Our room was an Ocean view but you're right, We were so far away from the ocean that we really couldn't see it.
But all-in all it was a nice place.
I have stayed at a hotel on Anguilla that offered beter service on every level with exquisite food food at reasonable prices. It was Cocoloba Plantation but it was destroyed in a hurricane.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Very informative trip report, thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:38 PM

This was a good report. I've looked at this property as it seems to have cheaper rates and more specials than other Four Seasons (especially Nevis). But then again, it gets beaten up on tripadvisor.

There have been some good deals on this property through AmEx.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the report, Sabine. I'm thinking of visiting in May, and would love to see your pics.

-Noreen
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Noreen- I've posted some of the pics on TripAdvisor( just submitted it, hasn't yet been published) in case you want to check them out.-

Sabine