Search

Fishing on St John

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Donna

Fishing on St John

Has anyone ever chartered a boat on St John and fished\snorkeled? What is the cost? Is it by the 1/2 day or all day? Can I rent a boat myself or does it come with crew? Would like to do some fishing and need advise. Any good fly fishing off shore? Please email me. <BR>Thanks!

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Karen

There are charter boats with captains available for fishing out at sea. Any "game fish" would be a distance from the island. There are many half or full day charters for snorkling both around St. John and to the BVI's. There are trips on larger power boats to the Baths or you may want to go on one of the smaller sail boats that would take no more than 6 people. You also have the option of taking a public ferry and taxiing to a location once on the alternate island, eg. Virgin Gorda, Jost van Dyke. Right in Cruz Bay, Noah's Little Arcs rents "dinghys" that you can dink around to different beaches for snorkling. They give you a cooler with ice and very good instructions and directions about mooring and where to go!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Melissa

We have gone "off-shore" light tackle fishing twice now with Capt. Loren Nickbarg. You can do 1/2 day or full day. (We found 1/2 day to be plenty). We caught small tuna both times and had delicious sushi and steaks for days. He is in the phone book down there. I think 1/2 day is at least a few hundred dollars. Karen's message re: the small rental boats is a good idea too. That way, you can explore on your own - snorkeling and fishing. There really isn't much fly fishing - Nickbarg might let you though...

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Susie

Agree with both Karen & Melissa. <BR> <BR>I don't think the water is conducive to flyfishing, but I could be wrong. <BR> <BR>We had great luck with Johnathan of the DoubleHeader -- out of Redhook, St. Thomas. We fished in-shore and hit it big. He will only go off-shore when the rollers won't make you sick, which is good! Too many charters will take you out there, you barf the whole time, then they bring you back, and they save on the lunch & drinks Sorry for the cynicism, but I've seen it too many times. <BR> <BR>Johnathan was $180/couple for a half day. And a half day was plenty (we're both fishaholics)! <BR> <BR>I would not rent a boat ... too many currents, as well as shallow spots. There's one spot between St. John & St. Tom that is only 18 inches deep - you will see boats smashed along shore there. <BR> <BR>And, since you mention snorkeling and St. John ... check out Honeymoon Bay. The snorkeling is terrific!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 05:32 AM
jj

I don't know about the fishing, but we rented a boat from Nauti Nymph and cruised around St. John and the BVIs. It was the best thing we have ever done. It was pricy, but worth it. They have a website, I wish I could tell you what it was. They give you a map and tell you where not to go. It was easy.